• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

No conventional duplex operation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evelmike428

I've got a VHF XTS5000 MIII FPP. Flashcode is 560001-001307-0

Features:

D1 B1​
Q806
Q806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
D1 B3​
H14
H14 Enhanced Digital ID Display
D2 B2​
Q52
Q52 Federal Government FPP
D2 B3​
H869
H869 Hardware Multikey Encryption
D6 B1​
H35
H35 Conventional Systems Operation
D9 B1​
Q947
Q947 APCO Packet Data Interface
D10 B1​
Q53
Q53 FCC FPP And Radio Cloning
D10 B2​
Q387
Q387 Conventional Voting Scan
D12 B1​
Q445
Q445 Fireground Accountability Software
D12 B2​
Q446
Q446 Fireground Voice/Channel Announcement
D12 B3​
Q667
Q667 ADP Software Encryption

I'm by no means an expert. I've been using the XTS5000s for years with CAP, but I've never tried to program one for duplex operation before. I picked up this HT on eBay for a backup to my CAP-issued XTS5000. Using FPP, I plugged in the Tx/Rx freqs and tones, but when depressing the PTT, I can't hit ANY VHF repeaters. Can't break squelch. I can hit any of them from my UV-5R. Using a Nagoya 771 on both. Tx power on High, closest repeater is only 3.7 miles NW at a solid elevation.

I know enough to be dangerous, but apparently not enough to figure out the basics of setting up conventional duplex comms on this old Moto.

I do have access to CPS if needed. Any ideas/pointers/HAHA YOU NEWB's are highly appreciated.

Edit: Forgot this little important bit... When I hit the repeaters from my BaoFeng, I also hear nothing on the XTS5000. It's like it can't Tx/Rx at all. The HT works fine on simplex.

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
but when depressing the PTT, I can't hit ANY VHF repeaters. Can't break squelch.

There's a number of issues that could be wrong.

Since this is a used/old radio (XTS line is old enough to drink), you need to consider that the radio is so far out of alignment that it's not going to work.

The PA could be bad

The antenna could be bad

All bets are off when you buy a used radio of this age and have no idea how it was treated before you had it. If you are going to use this radio on CAP frequencies, you need to do a couple of things:

1. Get written permission to add your own private radio to a federal system. You risk disciplinary action if you don't. Adding your own radios to someone else's system isn't usually allowed. -GET- -IT- -IN- -WRITING- "He said it was OK" won't stand up. It needs to be written permission.

2. The radio should be taken to a reputable shop and properly aligned. Showing up on the CAP repeaters means you are running under their authorization. Usually the authorization comes with requirements to make sure all radios are working properly and to NTIA requirements. Assuming that an old radio is still working to factory spec after this many years isn't a good idea.

3. Batteries, antennas and all accessories should be considered consumables. Unless they are brand new and purchased by you or CAP, assume they are old-n-busted and throw them out. Don't rely on old accessories that you don't know for 100% sure are OK.

4. If CAP requires you to have a backup radio, they should be paying for it, paying for the maintenance and paying for having it properly programmed. The feds are not usually going to go to a hobby website to ask for input on how to set up a radio.

I know enough to be dangerous, but apparently not enough to figure out the basics of setting up conventional duplex comms on this old Moto.

Could be programmed incorrectly. Without having the codeplug in front of us, it would be a wild guess for anyone here to figure out where it's wrong.

Not trying to bust your chops here, but there's more to doing this than buying a used radio off e-Bay. There are specific legal requirements on the FCC side. NTIA probably has very similar requirements. Don't get yourself in trouble over this.

evelmike428

I do have the correct offsets, tones, etc. NAC I will need to double-check - appreciate that one. Will advise!

Actually, this is conventional, so NAC isn't relevant, at least to my knowledge.

Known-good NA-771, as stated in the OP. Radio is a 2013 model, which is nearly 10 years newer than my CAP-issued radio. I suppose it COULD still be non-functional on certain 2m freqs while working fine on others, but... I'm doubtful. It works perfectly on simplex on various 2m freqs.

CAP doesn't require me to have a backup. I want a backup. Two is one, one is none.

NTIA has no process for approval for radio equipment. Fed agencies literally just assess for themselves what they want to use. Furthermore, CAP has an open BYOD policy for radios, and the post-2006 XTS5000s are even pre-approved. I'm not new to the fed space (I work for a 3-letter) nor CAP, just new to programming these Moto bricks.

Appreciate the input. Cheers.

bilbo524

Jaded IT Guy
All bets are off when you buy a used radio of this age and have no idea how it was treated before you had it. If you are going to use this radio on CAP frequencies, you need to do a couple of things:

1. Get written permission to add your own private radio to a federal system. You risk disciplinary action if you don't. Adding your own radios to someone else's system isn't usually allowed. -GET- -IT- -IN- -WRITING- "He said it was OK" won't stand up. It needs to be written permission.

*SNIP*

4. If CAP requires you to have a backup radio, they should be paying for it, paying for the maintenance and paying for having it properly programmed. The feds are not usually going to go to a hobby website to ask for input on how to set up a radio.

*SNIP*

Not trying to bust your chops here, but there's more to doing this than buying a used radio off e-Bay. There are specific legal requirements on the FCC side. NTIA probably has very similar requirements. Don't get yourself in trouble over this.

CAP has a BYOD policy when it comes to radios. XTS5000 is on the approved devices list. NTIA doesn't set reqs like that. I'd focus on the technical part rather than the supposed legalilty part if I were you.

evelmike428

Yep, you're 100% right, and I 100% failed to specify that it's conventional analog. Apologies.

Status
Not open for further replies.