BCD325P2/BCD996P2: No GPS Input

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chas486

Feed Provider
So I just hooked up my BCD996P2 with a BC-GPSK antenna, but my unit states 'No GPS Input'. I have checked and the system is getting power, ground is good, port set at 4800bps, yet this thing doesn't want to work.

Any ideas?

eaf1956

Feed Provider
So I just hooked up my BCD996P2 with a BC-GPSK antenna, but my unit states 'No GPS Input'. I have checked and the system is getting power, ground is good, port set at 4800bps, yet this thing doesn't want to work.

Any ideas?

You did plug in the 12 v cigarette power cord for the puck RIGHT? If so did the PUCK light come on? And also connected to rs 232 cable to the rear port on the scanner.

Chas486

Feed Provider
I did not see a light on the puck. The 12V power wire attaches to the 9 pin connector. The 9 pin connector also has a cable for the s-connector to the puck. Everything is plugged in, and I tested the power to make sure it was good. I did have to splice a longer wire onto the power as I cut off the cigarette plug and wired it directly to the power supply.

I am going to re-crimp the wires on the power to make sure I got them in correctly.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
There is a LED on the puck. If it isn't lit, that's your problem.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Just thinking out loud and would yield to someone with greater knowledge. Sometimes I've seen devices with 12V plugs have something inside that steps down the voltage.

So its remotely possible (again someone who knows more, please set the record straight) that you may have sent 12V to a device requiring much less and have damaged it.

(Yeah it was from personal experience. Ever since that, if I needed to lengthen a power wire, I went to the auto store and got the cigarette lighter extension cable and cut it to the appropriate length).

As noted above you get a solid red LED indicator on the puck when the right power is applied to it. When it locks in on GPS signals, it begins to blink red.

datainmotion

Premium Subscriber
Just thinking out loud and would yield to someone with greater knowledge. Sometimes I've seen devices with 12V plugs have something inside that steps down the voltage.

This would be my guess as well. Typically, GPS preamps run on 3.3V or 5V (think USB GPS connections). Cutting off the CLP (where the voltage is stepped down) and connecting the wire directly to 12V is most likely the culprit and may have smoked the preamp.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The puck runs on 5v. If you cut off the adapter and hardwired to 12V, you've fried the puck.

Chas486

Feed Provider
Darn, I do have a red blinking light. I will have to purchase a new one and get an external plug to mount it to.

Thanks for your help.

Chas486

Feed Provider
So I bought a new GPS antenna, and imagine that, it works like a charm. Can't wait to drive around and see how my new scanner reacts.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
One quick thing you can do is unplug the GPS and put in a distant zip code (like 90210 for Beverly Hills or 10019 for NYC). Let it load the distant stuff. Then plug in the GPS. It will quickly change the scan manifest to your immediate area.

Status
Not open for further replies.