NOAA weather on 33.4200 mhz Nfm ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjrjr507

Now here is a weird one. Picking up an NOAA weather boardcast on 33.4200 Mhz Nfm on skip. It's fading in and out but does come in good sometimes. I'm in northwest montana. Does anyone know where this might be coming from ?

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux i686; U; en-US) Gecko/20081217 Vision-Browser/8.1 301x200 LG VN530)

Melbourne, FL. It was active last summer and I heard it here in the Phoenix, AZ area with just the stock rubber duck on my GRE PSR-500.

KF4ZTO

I've heard this before quite a few times when lowband is open. I'm located in Richmond, Virginia.

Probably just a re-broadcast of the local NOAA transmitter. It's always been fading pretty badly that I never got the location or callsign of the actual re-transmitted NOAA station.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
When we heard it in the summer it was coming from florida... seems like a rebroadcast. But it was from florida like tampa bay or miami......

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Since Florida was mentioned I did a quick look-up on the FCC database and came up with only WQGH907 for the city of Cape Coral and WQIN663 for the city of Orlando. General municipal comms, so it's not coming from Florida... legally.

Strike that, I found the answer a little farther down in an earlier post. To save you the trouble looking for it here it is.

On 33.42 MHz they are rebroadcasting 162.475 KIH63 National Weather Service from Melbourne, FL. Every couple of minutes a recording over the top of the Weather Service says "This is WQDC703 1650 AM. This is the City of Orlando Office of Emergency Management. Stay tuned for the most updated weather conditions from the National Weather Service in Melbourne." The distance between my location and the transmitter location of 33.42 MHz is 1525 miles.

WQIN663
ORLANDO, CITY OF
PO Box 2486
ORLANDO, FL 32803-2486
ATTN OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Transmitter Address /Area of Operation
110 N ANDES AVE
ORLANDO, FL ORANGE

WQDC703
Cancellation 09/09/2006
City of Orlando
PO Box 2486
Orlando, FL 32829
ATTN Emergency Manager
Control Points
110 N Andes Ave, ORANGE, Orlando, FL
Eligibility
90.20 - Travelers Information Station
1.650 Output power 10 W

Here's a bit of a mystery. I can understand the OEM transmitter on 1650KHz being an LPAM traveler information station intended to inform the public in the event of an emergency, there's one right down the street from me rebroadcasting NOAA in its spare time too with the same sort of general announcement on voice-over. The public can hear it locally and that's what it's all about but why on the OEM Lo Band frequency intended for wide area point to point OEM communications??? Another mystery, the AM station license expired years ago so maybe nobody noticed and it's still on the air or is that a very old recording? Leave it to Orlando, you know what's in Orlando... Dizzy World.

Last edited:

kruser

Premium Subscriber
There is a TIS link station in Sammamish, WA that re-broadcasts a NWS (NOAA) channel sometimes. That station is on 33.420 as well. It re-broadcasts on 540 kHz AM for the TIS part of the license. The 33.420 signal appears to be a remote link to the 540 kHz transmitter. Both are low power 10 watt stations.

I hear it from time to time here in Missouri. Back around late November 2011 to February 2012, it came in almost daily like clockwork. I'd start hearing the signal about sunrise at the stations location until just after sunset at my location.

The 33.420 MHz signal has a callsign of WQJW689.
The TIS station on 540 kHz has a call of WQJW697. I never heard the actual 540 signal though. Maybe some day when I'm doing NDB hunting, I'll catch it.

They usually just aired a tape loop announcing the callsign for the 540 kHz station. The tape loop announced the call and the city and state. That was about it. I think it also said they would broadcast road or weather conditions when needed. I never once heard it announce the call for the 33.420 signal that I was actually hearing.

Every so often, they would rebroadcast one of the local NWS signals on the TIS link. I never heard the NOAA broadcast say its call though so I never figured out which NWS forecast office I was hearing through the link.

If you look through kkn50's low band dx log reports here, you will see he lists that station almost daily as well from his location in Texas.

It's very possible this is the station the OP was hearing.
I put the freq in today but low band did not open up for me today.

JWHAYS

I'm picking it up in the high desert of California. I'm also hearing what sounds to be a person talking, as on possibly a talk radio station...interesting.

John n6jwh/wqoj854
Oak Hills, CA

jaythescanman

I am hearing this re-broadcast (or something) here in Alberta Canada on 33.42 using a Pro-197 and out door antenna...very cool, although I am unsure of true distance or the station identifier as its in the static and I cant truly make it out.

KF4ZTO

Since Florida was mentioned I did a quick look-up on the FCC database and came up with only WQGH907 for the city of Cape Coral and WQIN663 for the city of Orlando. General municipal comms, so it's not coming from Florida... legally.

Strike that, I found the answer a little farther down in an earlier post. To save you the trouble looking for it here it is.

On 33.42 MHz they are rebroadcasting 162.475 KIH63 National Weather Service from Melbourne, FL. Every couple of minutes a recording over the top of the Weather Service says "This is WQDC703 1650 AM. This is the City of Orlando Office of Emergency Management. Stay tuned for the most updated weather conditions from the National Weather Service in Melbourne." The distance between my location and the transmitter location of 33.42 MHz is 1525 miles.

WQIN663
ORLANDO, CITY OF
PO Box 2486
ORLANDO, FL 32803-2486
ATTN OFFICE OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT
Transmitter Address /Area of Operation
110 N ANDES AVE
ORLANDO, FL ORANGE

WQDC703
Cancellation 09/09/2006
City of Orlando
PO Box 2486
Orlando, FL 32829
ATTN Emergency Manager
Control Points
110 N Andes Ave, ORANGE, Orlando, FL
Eligibility
90.20 - Travelers Information Station
1.650 Output power 10 W

Here's a bit of a mystery. I can understand the OEM transmitter on 1650KHz being an LPAM traveler information station intended to inform the public in the event of an emergency, there's one right down the street from me rebroadcasting NOAA in its spare time too with the same sort of general announcement on voice-over. The public can hear it locally and that's what it's all about but why on the OEM Lo Band frequency intended for wide area point to point OEM communications??? Another mystery, the AM station license expired years ago so maybe nobody noticed and it's still on the air or is that a very old recording? Leave it to Orlando, you know what's in Orlando... Dizzy World.

There's a county near where I live that has a network of TIS AM stations on a 72/75 MHz feeder (STL) system. Next time lowband is open, listen to 25.870, 25.890, 25.910, 25.930, 25.950, 25.970 and 25.990 MHz narrow FM. There's tons of STLs on lowband.

Sweetbritches

I also hear it in virginia and sometimes with other traffic maybe from a real fire dept on the same freq somewhere else. I was wondering if it ever causes inteference with real fire dept traffic. donna

G4MUF

33.42 MHZ wx bc

Hi all. Here in UK-England I had heard the wx bc on 33.42 mhz in 2011 a lot, (Sep-Nov) but this autumn it is very occasional due to the solar flux/sunspots being just enough for the f2 MUF to just tickle up to there. The New York 10-metre ham repeater on 29.62 is very strong every day 12-17Z

33.42 is the bottom channel of the USA fire depts 33.42 to 33.98 at 20-khz channels and since 1980 sunspot hi I have heard loads of FD sigs on there. On a few hours in 2011 I heard traffic on EVERY ONE of the channels!

Rchard

Darth_vader

Quoting another user of these fora, "holy old thread, Batman!"

Seriously, though, it sounds like 33.420 must be a standard feeder frequency for NOAA mediumwaves. I didn't even know about this until I saw this thread, so I just now programmed it into my scanner for further analysis during my travels. (I do know of a couple NOAA mediumwave stations in northeastern Oregon that very well could be doing it this way, although low-VHF in general is more or less unused around my area.)

Thanks for the bump, MUF.

KB7MIB

Wirelessly posted (Opera/9.80 (BREW; Opera Mini/6.0.3/27.2338; U; en) Presto/2.8.119 320X240 LG VN530)

The City of Orlando OEM rebroadcasts the Melbourne, FL NWS transmitter. You will hear OEM ID over the NWS. That's all.

Last edited:

G4MUF

There may be a broadcast on the next freq up, 33.440 Mhz, as there is something there but unreadable..29th and 30th Oct had good condx to the FD.

If any telemetry RTTY experts are on, there is a lowband skip signal on 32.120 Mhz heard in Europe, say 10-12Z. I guess it is in Russia. Using SSB to listen, it is single-frequency keyed data, poss radio teletype, centred on 32.118.5 Mhz. However in USA it might not get through. Might be a harmonic.
Richard

G4MUF

Thanks for info on Yakhta Russian encripted SSB. I was hearing it on 32 Mhz, not 21 Mhz. Might be a harmonic relationship. Not heard the 32.118.5 Mhz sigs for a few days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.