• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

    We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

    If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Noobie Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hormone

Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
1
Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and have the stock RS Pro-43. Some of the buttons on the right side of the key pad are inop. Is there software that one could use to turn their pc into a scanner if you just hooked up an ant? Is there software out there that could be used instead of the keypad to prog freqs?

TIA,
Hormone
 

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
2,917
Location
Coconut Creek, FL
Hormone said:
Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum and have the stock RS Pro-43. Some of the buttons on the right side of the key pad are inop. Is there software that one could use to turn their pc into a scanner if you just hooked up an ant? Is there software out there that could be used instead of the keypad to prog freqs?

TIA,
Hormone
Many newer scanners are programmable via a computer. Unfortunately, the PRO-43 isn't one of them.

Yes, there are so called black box receivers that hook up to your PC and allow it to act as a radio receiver. All the ones I am aware of are wide band HF/VHF/UHF communications receivers and are not really scanners in the sense of a typical programmable scanner like the PRO-43. They're more expensive than a typical scanner, and you're restricted to using it with your computer.
 

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
2,959
Location
West of Charlotte NC
If anyone is truly interested in a computer controlled scanner.....

One of the better scanners that can be controlled (not just programmed) by a computer is the radio shack Pro 2052. It's been marked down to $99.97 from an all time high prive of $399.99 (when it 1st came out, several years ago).
 

LordJ

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
635
Location
South-Eastern, Ontario
You can/may be able to order a new keypad for the unit. After time, they just wear out. I replaced mine a couple of years back and actually ordered an extra just in case. They should still be available....
 

vrom67

Member
Joined
Aug 12, 2006
Messages
3
Another Newbie question...

Grog said:
If anyone is truly interested in a computer controlled scanner.....

One of the better scanners that can be controlled (not just programmed) by a computer is the radio shack Pro 2052. It's been marked down to $99.97 from an all time high prive of $399.99 (when it 1st came out, several years ago).
I was wondering if there were any mods for the Pro 2052 as I am in the market for a new scanner.

I am just getting started into learning what scanner I could start off with as a first scanner for myself.

All advice or information is welcomed
Victor
 

W4KRR

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 1, 2001
Messages
2,917
Location
Coconut Creek, FL
vrom67 said:
I was wondering if there were any mods for the Pro 2052 as I am in the market for a new scanner.
I am just getting started into learning what scanner I could start off with as a first scanner for myself.
All advice or information is welcomed
Victor
Why are you looking for a scanner that can have "mods" done to it? What type of "mods" are you referring to? Most of today's scanners cannot be modified anyway.

A couple of good scanners are the PRO-97 or the PRO-2055 if you don't need digital. You don't say where you are or what you're trying to monitor, that information would help in the decision of what scanner to buy.
 

KT4HX

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
610
Location
Spotsylvania County, Va
W4KRR said:
Why are you looking for a scanner that can have "mods" done to it? What type of "mods" are you referring to? Most of today's scanners cannot be modified anyway.

A couple of good scanners are the PRO-97 or the PRO-2055 if you don't need digital. You don't say where you are or what you're trying to monitor, that information would help in the decision of what scanner to buy.

He already started a thread along the same lines. He seems inordinately concerned about mods. As you stated, little to no modifications can be made to today's scanners. I also brought up the location issue - tell us where you are so we can make recommendations on what model of scanners would be your best choices. We wanna help, but it's difficult if we don't know the details.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top