North Korea and Ham Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Yesterday I came across an interesting article in The Manichi , a Japanese technical news publication-- which I‘ll summarize:
…….There was a news release earlier this week by the North Korean News Agency (NKNA) of ….“a technological break through that may be of interest to radio enthusiasts world wide.”
North Korean scientists announced that they have perfected the technique of extracting usable electrical power from radio signals radiated by transmitters world wide. Engineers at the Yongbyon Scientific Research Center have released limited details of a process called “Coeration” that “utilizes very high efficiency circuits to extract useful energy from radio frequencies.” This energy is currently being used to power the small town of Nangnim, in the northern province of Changan-Do on an intermittent testing basis. They are now producing only a thousand kilowatts, but the North Korean scientists report they are “embarking on the full scale production of larger facilities that will soon power entire cities.”
Sensitive to international repercussions that could results from the disruption of radio transmissions world wide, the North Koreans have stated they will limit the bands of frequencies only to those used “for frivolous purposes,” the NKNA report continued.
“The People of the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea do not authorize or condone the use of hobby recreation radios. We therefore will limit, for the immediate future, only the extraction of energy from the world hobby class radio bands in the 3-4, 7 and 14 MegaHertz segments.”
Both the Korean Amateur Radio League (KARL) and the Japan Amateur Radio League (JARL) last week reported markedly reduced signal strengths in the 14Mhz band, occurring during periods coinciding with the North Korean tests. So far no countries have lodged any formal complaints. The potential for detrimental effects are yet to be determined, and the story is ongoing.
……………CF

Attached are 3 photo's from the article:
The First showing the modern computer network to control the system,
The Second, a detail of the Zong SV2A vacuum tube amplifier- the heart of the system
And finally, a photo of an engineer at the controls of the "Energy Extractor"

Hmmm, might as well call the pictures of NK "this island earth" and this one photo supreme leaders interocitor. What it reminds me of that old comedy MST3000.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
What I find interesting in this photo is how well illuminated the border with South Korea is.
Both sides of the DMZ 'border' are very well illuminated. Having spent two tours of duty back in the late 60's I remember those days well when my team and I made our twice monthly visit to the outposts to hot-swap radio gear or repair in-situ if feasible.

KF5ZIS

That does not look right. Pyongyang is a major city, and is visible in NASA photos. I think someone is having a bit of fun with Photoshop.

Sent via Tapatalk

Sorry, the tip of the arrow covers Pyongyang. I should have grabbed a different pic. Also, the size of the pic hides the few other small lighted areas.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Something else just caught my eye, about the original post, DPRK saying they do not endorse amateur comms. When I was stationed there, and had my reciprocal license, we were not to contact the hams up there.

I guess things have changed, for hams, since Kim Il Sung died. (Besides the things that make the news.)

Sent via Tapatalk

SCPD

QRT
An interesting topic, Krokus- the countries that used to be banned for American hams to contact.
Unless I am really off, they don't have those list anymore- but I can imagine there are today countries that may still ban contacts with us.. am I off frequency here?
My grandfather was stationed in Japan and Okinawa in the 50's and recounted to me that as a ham with a Occupation KA2, KR6 callsigns they were not permitted QSO's with the JA's. Seems to me as a girl my hearing from my father that there were prohibitions against Cuba... which irk'ed him since he loved 6 metre's (AM in those days) and a certain CO2 was always skipping into the East Coast.
I was living in Washington DC., just before the collapse of the Berlin Wall. One morning 10 opened to East Germany and I became the centre of a mammoth pile up.
All these DM's, Y22 just pour'd in-- when I ask'd them what was going on- since they never operated like that- it was so rare to QSO them so openly- they just said "things have changed."
Remember "Post Office Box 88, Moscow" and how only certain select Soviet operators were permitted contacts with the West (UA Prefixes?-- I was very young then.)
Ahhh.. This topic could go on and on- and I am sure there are plenty out there with first hand recollections.
I hope no one took my 1 April Post to heart-- like I did about a similar article many years ago. I had just gotten my first ever ham license- this was in the UK-- when my father showed me an article in a ham magazine very much like the one I wrote.... only it was Albanians, or Romanians with their "energy extractor"-- I forget whom. He let me dangle on that string for a few days, until I went to him, a tad distraught---
"Look at the date of that magazine issue, Lauri.... "
And like the elephant, I haven't forgot... All these years later, when my dad calls me a Smart A** I can just remind him who made me this devil.
:)
.............................. CF

krokus

Premium Subscriber
An interesting topic, Krokus- the countries that used to be banned for American hams to contact.
Unless I am really off, they don't have those list anymore- but I can imagine there are today countries that may still ban contacts with us.. am I off frequency here?
My grandfather was stationed in Japan and Okinawa in the 50's and recounted to me that as a ham with a Occupation KA2, KR6 callsigns they were not permitted QSO's with the JA's. Seems to me as a girl my hearing from my father that there were prohibitions against Cuba... which irk'ed him since he loved 6 metre's (AM in those days) and a certain CO2 was always skipping into the East Coast.

I don't remember DPRK being off limits to stateside hams, but our reciprocal license had conditions. No DPRK, nor Vietnam.

I hope no one took my 1 April Post to heart-- like I did about a similar article many years ago. I had just gotten my first ever ham license- this was in the UK-- when my father showed me an article in a ham magazine very much like the one I wrote.... only it was Albanians, or Romanians with their "energy extractor"-- I forget whom. He let me dangle on that string for a few days, until I went to him, a tad distraught---
"Look at the date of that magazine issue, Lauri.... "
And like the elephant, I haven't forgot... All these years later, when my dad calls me a Smart A** I can just remind him who made me this devil.
.............................. CF

I had not paid attention to the original post date, when re-reading. :)

Sent via Tapatalk

K7MH

Premium Subscriber
I always like to be early for events- so if this article isn't making sense today, I'm sure it will on Saturday!
Cheers, Guy's .... ! :)
..................................Coyote

It depends on what or how much you drink, smoke or inject whether it will make sense or not!!

cellblock776

Yesterday my phone beeped while I was at the Dentist office. It was an alert via the AmRRON app letting all members know that the AmCon level had been raised up to AmCOM 3.

https://amrron.com/net-resourcestools/amcon-amrron-communications-condition-level/

08 AUG 2017 UPDATE: *
///////REAL WORLD UPDATE//////NOT AN EXERCISE///////
Due to the increased probability of armed conflict with North Korea,
which is now nuclear-capable and could strike American cities on the
mainland, we are increasing our readiness levels and the AmRRON
Readiness Condition Level to 3. This means that while disruptions to
conventional communications are by no means imminent, there is an
increased probability.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/08/trump-warns-north-korea-threats-will-be-met-with-fire-and-fury.html

Trump warns North Korea threats ‘will be met with fire and fury’

* President Donald Trump warns that threats from North Korea “will be
met with fire and fury like the world has never seen.”
* North Korea has successfully created a miniaturized nuclear weapon
that can fit in its missiles, according to NBC News and The
Washington Post.

*Note from JJS: * This is significant. President Trump is warning that
these continued threats must stop and that he is prepared to carry out
military action. Previous attitudes and responses indicate that North
Korea will continue to agitate the US and other nations. Essentially,
Trump must make good on his word. If he does not, it will only embolden
North Korea and increase the danger to US citizens and interests, as
well as our allies. Essentially, it appears the time for talking and
negotiating are over. We’ll see. Boy Scout’s motto: “Be Prepared”

————————————

That's on top of the alert they sent out several months ago when they bumped up to AmCon level 4.

As the alert level page suggests, all hams should
Disconnect all antennas when radios are not in use (actually good advice anytime)
Other unused or spare radios, laptops, thumb drives, etc. placed in faraday protection
Participate in practice nets to ensure your skills,equipment, and software are maintained and up to date. (Yep, always recommended)
Also they have several other recommendations such as making a family and friends "What-if" communications plan, Review your comms plan for your area/regional network and make adjustments as necessary and Of course, perform maintenance and checks of your stations back up power system such as charge up Battery Banks, run generators and top off the spare fuel reserves. But I live in the south and it's hurricane season so this is pretty much already done for me weeks ago.
Anyway, AmRRON is watching the developments in NK even as it gets ready for the big T-REX 17 earthquake exercise this weekend. No better time to test your preps than this weekend.

SCPD

QRT
Oh Wow, Cellblock-- you are about to open a real Pandora's Box here...... :)
I would caution everyone to take a deep breathe and review their science, and the geo-politics etc.--- before rushing off into their Faraday Shields.
I will say at the outset that my very essence, my work --is surrounded by this EMP issue. EMP it is indeed a threat, but there are vast numbers of scientific variables-- Without going into the whole science of atomic bomb- generated pulses, I Strongly advise each and all, doing some research before spinning off into madness.
It won't matter much anyway- If, God forbid, it happens in the worst case senario- we'll all still be here- prefectly fine; we'll just be slowly starving to death. That night map of North Korea will be a for-real day time map of the black hole that became the new Inland Sea of Korea*... and for the rest of the Western world it will be "welcome back to the 18th Century."
I had to give this all a thought-- I don't have any Faraday Shields, but I do have an old VW, and a LOT of shotgun shells.. that will be the extent of my 'Prep'ping"....... :).
Want to see a great take on this-- what it will all be like afterwards?-- I challenge anyone to watch the movie, or read the book-- "The Road."
and with these happy thoughts,,,, Cheers.... :)
......................................CF
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
* I have been to, flown over, sailed about- many times, the bomb craters in Enewetok Atoll- Bikini-- Awesome what thermonuclear devices can do!
..................kind'a wished I'd never made that North Korean April Fool's joke........:)

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
CF said:
If, God forbid, it happens in the worst case senario- we'll all still be here- prefectly fine; we'll just be slowly starving to death.
Nah! Iv'e got a large vegetable plot, a couple of .308 target rifles, a 6.5x55mm hunter, loads of ammo and the components to make lots more, I can shoot lots of protein AND I have about 40litres of homebrew beer!
Bring it on! .... :)

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
...before rushing off into their Faraday Shields.
Or donning their tin foil hats. Come to think of it, tin foil is kinda rare these days. Aluminum foil hats would be more appropriate. But, not as easy to say.

I will say at the outset that my very essence, my work --is surrounded by this EMP issue. EMP it is indeed a threat, but there are vast numbers of scientific variables...
It's good to have an expert in our midst. You may not know everything, but I'm guessing you know more than most of us on this topic.

That night map of North Korea will be a for-real day time map of the black hole that became the new Inland Sea of Korea...
Interesting article about the power of a U.S. Ohio-class ballistic submarine:

The One U.S. Submarine That Could Completely Destroy North Korea | The National Interest Blog

Sounds like one of these boomers could selectively destroy its targets and "wipe twenty-four cities off the map". The ultimate extension of T. Roosevelt's "carry a big stick". If only we had a president who spoke softly. I've never been a fan of answering a verbal threat with another verbal threat. But, maybe, the North Koreans needed a reminder that an Ohio-class sub could be patrolling the Sea of Japan right now.

I don't have any Faraday Shields, but I do have an old VW, and a LOT of shotgun shells...
Would the VW start after an EMP? Remember, there's still an electromagnetic coil in the ignition system. How long would your gasoline supply last?

...kind'a wished I'd never made that North Korean April Fool's joke...
I'm glad you did. We can all use a little humor in our lives.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I can shoot lots of protein...
Or, raise chickens. Use some of your garden plot to grow corn for the chickens. Save some of the corn for fermenting and distilling purposes.

SCPD

QRT
I was joking about the VW and my "prep'ping." That VW is an old '63 Bug that isn't mine-but my friend's and work counterpart, "Barbi's."
This whole North Korean thing had us talking before the subject's resurection here.
"Would that thing get us back to Colorado - after the Zombie Apocalypse?" I asked her.
Barb is a physicist- her field is the high energy particle sciences (and I don't begin to try and comprehend what she does- but that is what EMP is all about- gamma rays, rouge electrons-- all that stuff... :) )
"Sure it would" was her response. "But probably any of our other vehicles would too... probably.... unless the blast was over head, but then we wouldn't have to worry about driving any place any how."
I am not going to question her on why she's that confident; I would have trouble understanding it anyway. But it puts me at (some) ease when a particle scientist says things like that.
In the coming days we're all going to hear a lot of "science" from people that have marginal credentials - good and bad. Consume it carefully-- even mine...... :)
Like I said before- take a deep breathe; then go out and take a long walk-- enjoy a bottle of wine with that sunset.
.............................................CF

http://www.dtra.mil/Portals/61/Documents/NTPR/4-Rad_Exp_Rpts/36_The_Effects_of_Nuclear_Weapons.pdf

wrath

We have a 71 year old man baby agaist a guy who is so young and stupid he will swallow a bowl of gold fish to not "Lose face" but the north Korean people's whatever has no hardened equipment ( neither does the south ) so if he pops and emp he is likely as not going to turn his military back to the stone ages as well as his power grid , good luck with that ! Why dont the two of go over to the see saw and work it out , they are more alike then different . Funny though i pick up strays and this cute little farraday cage followed me home ,can I keep it ?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.