North Olmsted accepts new digital police radios from Cuyahoga County to improve commu

Status
Not open for further replies.

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
By Bruce Geiselman, Northeast Ohio Media Group
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on April 04, 2014 at 12:20 PM

NORTH OLMSTED, Ohio – The city's police department will receive 20 new digital radios without charge from Cuyahoga County as part of an effort to switch local police departments to a new radio system that allows for improved communication between departments.

The new radios, which use the state's Multi-Agency Radio Communication System, are valued at more than $60,000, according to a resolution approved by City Council accepting the radios. The county purchased the Motorola radios using federal homeland security grants. Cuyahoga County cities have been applying to the county for the radios, which are being distributed to reduce the cost to local communities for switching radio systems.

"This only provides a part of the radios we need," said North Olmsted police Detective Chuck Fioritto.

The city needs a total of 40 to 43 digital radios before it can switch to the new communications system. It may qualify for some additional free radios from the county, but it also may end up purchasing some units. The city is still looking at its options, said Detective Robert Wagner.

The MARCS system uses a series of towers located across the state that allow any department on the MARCS network to communicate with any other department, state agency or hospital using the network.

The North Olmsted Fire Department already is using the system.

"The MARCS system is a closed system, but it goes statewide," Safety Director Donald Glauner said. "If, for instance, North Olmsted were to pursue somebody and they got as far as going down (Interstate) 71, they could contact the Mansfield post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol."

The current radio system makes it difficult for officers to communicate with anyone more than one or two communities away.

Fioritto said the biggest benefit likely would be that departments across a wide area could easily communicate in the event of a widespread disaster.

"This is a result of 9/11 when New York and New Jersey police and fire had difficulties communicating with each other," Fioritto said.

The North Olmsted Police Department hopes to make the switch to the new digital radio system within a few months.

"It should be a huge improvement for everybody," Fioritto said.

Swipesy

Thanks for posting.

I love the author's reference to the term "free" radios. The only source of money to buy radios by any government agency is taxpayers paying for them. They aren't free.

RT48

As a North Olmsted resident, it looks like my BC-235XLT will retiring shortly after giving me somewhere around 25 years of service. I ordered a BCD-436HP after reading that article last week.

North Olmsted police never had trouble talking to other Department's everyone was on VHF till now 1\2 of Marc's and 1\2 On the new Cleveland system.

WAP7710

Premium Subscriber
RRPD is on MARCS.... BVPD, FPPD and NOPD have not switched over yet. Westlake PD is making the switch this year. Lakewood PD is on MARCS but the rumor is they are switching over to Cleveland.

Last edited:
WAP7710 Lakewood only signed a 1 year contract to be on Marc's then move over to Cleveland's new system because it's cheaper i think $5 a radio and Marc's is like $20 a Radio

WAP7710

Premium Subscriber
I also heard that Lakewood was having serious reception/transmission issues with the MARCS system, mainly due to the tower locations. Seems kinda odd considering the amount of towers in the area but.....

SCPD

QRT
yep i can't monitor the new IP system that good in Parma i'll miss the type-2 system when its gone

Where in Parma are you located. There is a site in Parma .3 MI S RIDGEWOOD DR .55 MI W 176. Plus Strongsville on the hill and by the airport. Maybe you are getting too much signal.
~~~
OK I see where you are located from your callsign but am still surprised you don't get good reception on the IP.

Last edited:

budevans

Where in Parma are you located. There is a site in Parma .3 MI S RIDGEWOOD DR .55 MI W 176. Plus Strongsville on the hill and by the airport. Maybe you are getting too much signal.
~~~
OK I see where you are located from your callsign but am still surprised you don't get good reception on the IP.

I live near Dave. Because of the topography and the low antenna height on the tower, the signal from the Ridgewood Drive tower is blocked in a large arc. Topography also blocks the Airport and Strongsville sites from the Parma, State & Brookpark road area.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
....Topography....

Yep I know about that. I have only 3 hits from Parma this month. I can barely hear Macedonia and I am two miles away. Twinsburg on the 800 system is spotty on a handheld but GCRCN and MARCS and MARCS IP are just fine.

Arrrrggghhhhh! :(

medic5399

Premium Subscriber
I have the opposite problem! The MARCS IP I get pretty well, but the GCRCN sounds like crap in South Central N. Ridgeville

SCPD

QRT
Bud said..
."Because this is off topic, I removed my lengthy reply"...

Well I guess I didn't see it but we are discussing the diversity in location vs the various systems.

I would think N.O. would be fine for the N.O. area but various other people monitoring in various other locations seem to be having issues with various systems.

OHIOSCAN

MARCS IP

I have the opposite problem! The MARCS IP I get pretty well, but the GCRCN sounds like crap in South Central N. Ridgeville

Same here I am SW Ridgeville and GCRCN sucks and MARCS IP sounds good, I would prefer the Westshore cities go MARC, both River & Lakewood sound good here. Both Olmsted Falls/Twp now on
GCRCN are unmonitorable even though there next store. I use to hear Olmsteds on there input & veh rptr now nada.

The state & feds should of done a better job passing out the cash for all these systems. Each state should be funneling all the cash into one coordinated systems like MARCS. Instead they go city by city passing out grants to some departments while other get nothing. Since 911 billions has been spent and I really do not see vast improvement in inter-op among agencies for all the money sent.

$7 Billion Disconnect: FirstNet Aims to Get First Responders Talking 12 Years After 9/11 | Defense News | defensenews.com

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.