"Nothing Enabled"

Status
Not open for further replies.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I am trying to become acquainted with this new object scanning platform used in the current GRE PSR 600. This is totally new to me having used nothing but Uniden my entire scanning life. AND I'M STUCK!

I'm using WIN500 software to help me populate the scanner with the huge systems in my area and I have had it running just fine - TWICE! Each time I have hit a snag and I'm sure there is a simple "fix" but I cannot find it. Maybe I'm using the software wrong. I dunno.

Okay, the first time I downloaded a system from the RR Database with no hiccups, but I got the wrong text for the alpha tags because I was thinking "default" was good. Silly me. I had to down load the entire system again and when I did I got the following: Nothing enabled! ...and the number 1 flashing slowly with two lines of dots on the scanner's display. No matter what I did, I could not make it scan, however, if I went into manual mode, I could scroll the 01 scan list, so I knew the scanner was populated, but I could not make it scan.

I ended up deleting the system I had in the scanner and downloading the same system again from the RR Database, only this time I made the right choices and got the alpha tags correctly, uploaded to the scanner AND the scanner took right off like a turpentined cat.

TODAY, (You'd think I could leave well enough alone wouldn't you, but, oh, no, not me.) I wanted to add a few of the objects to the Favorites List, so I unlimbered the WIN500 program, found the 01 Scan List, scrolled to the TGs I wanted to put into the Favorites, uploaded to the scanner. Guess what I got! Yep, you guessed it! "Nothing enabled!" a slowly flashing 1, and two lines of dots.

I can still manually scroll through the 01 Scan List and see the "objects" in the scanner, but it will not scan. So my questions:

1. How do I ENABLE this thing without downloading the whole bloody (353 TGS + the CCs) system again from the RR Database?

2. How do I use the WIN500 software to make these kinds of changes (add to Favorites List) without going through this whole thing again?​

Oh, I need to add that I can scan the Favorites List. How do I enable the other one (hopefully using the software)?

WayneH

Forums Veteran
Super Moderator
Ok, hmm, I'm not sure where to start. The Favorites list is primarily an ad-hoc list (created on the fly) for quick monitoring periods. You can only scan what's in the Favorites list meaning no other scan list can be scanned. The object(s) put in the Favorites list are supposed to be temporary for an event. Say a fire occurs and you want to only listen to the freqs specific to the event (while ignoring what else may be in the regular scan lists these objects are mixed in with).

Does that help? I would suggest anything you want to scan on a regular basis be put in a regular scan list (1-20). 21 is for Favorites and 22 is for Skywarn.

qlajlu

Silent Key
Ok, hmm, I'm not sure where to start. The Favorites list is primarily an ad-hoc list (created on the fly) for quick monitoring periods. You can only scan what's in the Favorites list meaning no other scan list can be scanned. The object(s) put in the Favorites list are supposed to be temporary for an event. Say a fire occurs and you want to only listen to the freqs specific to the event (while ignoring what else may be in the regular scan lists these objects are mixed in with).

Does that help? I would suggest anything you want to scan on a regular basis be put in a regular scan list (1-20). 21 is for Favorites and 22 is for Skywarn.
Yeah, I understand what the Favorites List is and how it works, but when I used the software to place those few TGs in the Favorites, it disabled my 01 Scan List (none of the others are populated yet) and I cannot get it to start scanning the objects in the 01 List again.

Will I go through this each and every time I do an update to the scanner using the software? How do I do it without disabling the scan? These are questions that are perplexing me right now.

qlajlu

Silent Key
EUREKA!​

I have stumbled onto the magic bullet. Thank you for all who helped (wayne_h) for I do appreciate it. As I said, I'm learning a new platform and software and, take my word for it, the software is not forgiving!

I'm back in business. :D

DonS

On Win500's "TSYS Objects" tab, click on the TSYS in the top grid. The bottom grid should then be populated with the TGRP objects associated with that TSYS.

Select the TGRPs you want to put into a particular Scan List (if you want to select all of them, right-click in the TGRP grid and pick "Select All" from the menu that pops up). After selecting the desired TGRPs, look at the controls to the right of the TGRP grid. You should see a set of 22 checkboxes that represent the Scan Lists to which the TGRPs belong:
* If a box is checked, all TGRPs belong to that scan list
* If a box is unchecked, no TGRPs belong to that scan list
* If a box is "checked in grey" (dim), some - but not all - TGRPs belong to that scan list
Check/uncheck the boxes according to the desired scan list membership.

Also, make sure any desired TGRPs (as well as their parent TSYS) are not "locked out" (make sure the "LOut" columns don't have checked/filled boxes).

When you're done with the above, click on the "General Settings" tab. At the top-left is a list of 20 scan lists, each with a space to enter the scan list's alpha tag as well as a checkbox to "enable" it for "scanning".

qlajlu

Silent Key
Thanks, Don! I was just about 30 seconds in front of you. Funny how the lessons learned the hard way are the ones you will remember.
DonS said:
When you're done with the above, click on the "General Settings" tab. At the top-left is a list of 20 scan lists, each with a space to enter the scan list's alpha tag as well as a checkbox to "enable" it for "scanning".
That was the lesson.

Again, thanks.

DonS

You can also enable/disable scan lists from the radio's keypad (this is probably how you'll do it most often in actual use):
* For scan lists 1 through 10, press the number keys 1 through 0.
* For scan lists 11 through 20, press FUNC then the number keys 1 through 0

For example, scan list 5 is toggled by pressing the 5 key. Scan list 18 is toggled by pressing FUNC then the 8 key.

You must do this while "scanning" (i.e. after pressing the SCAN key).

Highpockets

Yeah, I understand what the Favorites List is and how it works, but when I used the software to place those few TGs in the Favorites, it disabled my 01 Scan List (none of the others are populated yet) and I cannot get it to start scanning the objects in the 01 List again.

Will I go through this each and every time I do an update to the scanner using the software? How do I do it without disabling the scan? These are questions that are perplexing me right now.

Deleted, Don already answered.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.