NWS

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
Don't understand this, i live in Leavenworth County Ks & i have the KCK NWS programmed in my scanner ( 154.1300) & very few days i can hear the NWS out of KC & not very good at all BUT i also have Topeka Ks NWS programmed in my scanner & hear them loud & clear, BUT LV CO KS is the cut off zone for Topeka NWS, why am i having bad reception for getting NWS out of KCK ?

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried monitoring the NWS on their seven official 162.400 thru 162.550 MHz channels?
The frequency you listed is some sort of link that's not affiliated with the NWS directly from what I can tell.

nec911

Don't understand this, i live in Leavenworth County Ks & i have the KCK NWS programmed in my scanner ( 154.1300) & very few days i can hear the NWS out of KC & not very good at all BUT i also have Topeka Ks NWS programmed in my scanner & hear them loud & clear, BUT LV CO KS is the cut off zone for Topeka NWS, why am i having bad reception for getting NWS out of KCK ?
From what I recall, there is a patch and link in place between the NWS and the MERS on KNIS980

scannerprogrammingofLvKs

Premium Subscriber
Have you tried monitoring the NWS on their seven official 162.400 thru 162.550 MHz channels?
The frequency you listed is some sort of link that's not affiliated with the NWS directly from what I can tell.
Thanks for the reply, but the problem i am having is with the frequency 154.1300 ( MERS / VHF ) out of KCK Weather station from signal hill's in KC "NOT NOAA"& they are only 30 miles away, i get Topeka NWS loud & clear & they are about 60 miles away from LV KS.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the reply, but the problem i am having is with the frequency 154.1300 ( MERS / VHF ) out of KCK Weather station from signal hill's in KC "NOT NOAA"& they are only 30 miles away, i get Topeka NWS loud & clear & they are about 60 miles away from LV KS.

It could be from many factors. The NWS in Topeka is likely running a much higher power level than the MERS signal on 154.130 plus the antenna height at the NWS/Topeka location may be much greater. Just because the MERS site is closer does not mean you will hear it better.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
The signal originates from the weather bureau in Spring Hill Mo to the repeater on 8100 Ozark Rd in KCMO. It is then patched to talk groups on the MARRS and several other trunk systems.
bb

nd5y

If you look carefully at the locations on the KNIS980 license you will see that 8100 Ozark Rd was a 500' tower that was taken town between 8/2014 and 3/2015 and the other location is on top of a building. That license may be obsolete. The repeater may actually be at one (or all if it is simulcast) of the locations on this license. WQVV524 (MID-AMERICA REGIONAL COUNCIL) FCC Callsign Details

So why do i have such a problem getting them on my scanner ?
It could be a problem on your end.
It could be just your location.
Just because you are closer to one transmitter than another transmitter doesn't necessarily mean you will receive the closer one better.

Also just because somebody submitted something to the db in a particular county doesn't mean the transmitter is actually located there and doesn't mean you will be able to receive it everywhere in the county.

Last edited:

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
As nd5y said it may be your location. Where are you located from the current 154.130 transmitter location? Have you done a path profile from your location to the transmitter?
bb

Status
Not open for further replies.