• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Now that’s what I’m talking about! Looks more like a hopped up TK-5x10 with that power cable and 9 pin accessory connector. Finally some real speaker output!

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I asked about the low band RF deck.

They are waiting to see if a "large California state low band user" selects them to replace their aging TK-690's. If they do, they plan to go into production. If not, they don't see enough customers for low band to warrant a low band version. The TK-6110 is probably enough to meet market needs.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
TK-6110 is EOL so there’s only small inventory left. I don’t see why CHP wouldn’t go for this radio.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
I asked about the low band RF deck.

They are waiting to see if a "large California state low band user" selects them to replace their aging TK-690's. If they do, they plan to go into production. If not, they don't see enough customers for low band to warrant a low band version. The TK-6110 is probably enough to meet market needs.
FLORIDA DOT is another looker McK.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

W3AXL

RF Engineer
Premium Subscriber
Is there any good reference out there for programming DMR roaming? I'm working on a codeplug while my radio is in the mail and there is barely any info out there on what works vs what doesn't.

My ideal setup would be a roaming channel for each timeslot with the ability to select the active TG from a list (which I believe is possible on these radios). I've started dabbling with a DMR roaming system but there's a ton of settings and not very much explanation as to what they all do. We've got a really good statewide amateur DMR system and being able to roam around the state would be an excellent capability if I can get it programmed properly.

w8red

Premium Subscriber
Did you hear Availability

Here ya' go, 110w RF deck. This is actually for the Kenwood VM series, but basically the NX-5000 with different software:

vzNesQ1.jpg

You hear street availability date on these ?

Thanks

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
VHF, UHF high power? Probably soon, as in this year.

Low Band? Depends on said large low band using agency. The TK-690's are end of life'd as of August 2018. Replacement model is listed as "TBD".
Yeah, look for me to pop the word around the end of September, mid October.
I have a few customers who want in on it as well.

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
So, 2.52 is the current firmware? My dealer is "positive" that 2.51 is the latest and greatest. Wish they would have some sort of download portal..

SCPD

QRT
I am still getting most of the MDC burst and we only use BOT. I very rarely get a muted MDC burst. Plus, some departments strictly use EOT, so there is a definite need.

I agree, at least having the option to. Many users love kenwood but it's the first question we get asked about mdc or make it sound like the chirp they say.

SCPD

QRT
We talked about it already, I will call again and try to get something but it then becomes a patent issue. Tell Motorola to end the EOT mdc and use only BOT.

Couldn't one mute the data completely or shorten it enough it doesn't interfere with motorolas dos mute. I'm sure a million names could be thought of to call it data silence, data recover etc. A short squawk would be nice even if it's slightly above or below theirs. While to me it isn't a issue it is users who constantly complain specislly dispatchers asking this fancy thing can't get rid of that sound, specislly on systems with a annoying astro, apx burst after mdc from M gear. I understand though the issues with licensing, patents so until then if any it'll be a oh well. It's nice to have that but for me it's how the equipment operates over all.

I agree bot is more useful than eot specially on butt key ups. Until something gives it away you have to wait for a dekey or voice beflre cells start ringing.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Couldn't one mute the data completely or shorten it enough it doesn't interfere with motorolas dos mute. I'm sure a million names could be thought of to call it data silence, data recover etc. A short squawk would be nice even if it's slightly above or below theirs. While to me it isn't a issue it is users who constantly complain specislly dispatchers asking this fancy thing can't get rid of that sound, specislly on systems with a annoying astro, apx burst after mdc from M gear. I understand though the issues with licensing, patents so until then if any it'll be a oh well. It's nice to have that but for me it's how the equipment operates over all.

I agree bot is more useful than eot specially on butt key ups. Until something gives it away you have to wait for a dekey or voice beflre cells start ringing.

GO DIGITAL and you wont hear any chirps at all. This is 2018, Y2k was 18 years ago, let the 80's have it's MDC back. Get with the game, move to digital and carry on. It's an infrastructure thing, okay, but it's not that hard to migrate to Digital. This is called laziness. The argument about price is no longer a factor. (face palm)

People buy digital ready radios only to waste it away using it for just analog, because they want to hear the MDC. (awww that's cute) but they also want to ***** about it because they don't plan the operation of it correctly. (rant over)

GO DIGITAL, or just use the radio like it is meant to be used, Push to Talk, Release to listen, go home alive

AD0TY

So, 2.52 is the current firmware? My dealer is "positive" that 2.51 is the latest and greatest. Wish they would have some sort of download portal..

2.52 is current as of July. Tell your dealer to check the dealer tools site, or find another dealer. If you can’t get someone local to help you out, let me know.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber

Yep. Anyone who has the software should be able to download and apply the latest firmware through said software. The fact that they don't do it this way is pretty ridiculous, IMHO. If not via the software then it should be through some sort of web portal as you mentioned. Crazy.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Wish it was that easy, D1 is already slow enough as is, having it do the firmware updates also, (shouldering shrug) No thank you.

Beside, the firmware process is also a dealer payable process. You jack it up, it is not covered under warranty!
Just count the blessings.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
GO DIGITAL and you wont hear any chirps at all. This is 2018, Y2k was 18 years ago, let the 80's have it's MDC back. Get with the game, move to digital and carry on. It's an infrastructure thing, okay, but it's not that hard to migrate to Digital. This is called laziness. The argument about price is no longer a factor. (face palm)

People buy digital ready radios only to waste it away using it for just analog, because they want to hear the MDC. (awww that's cute) but they also want to ***** about it because they don't plan the operation of it correctly. (rant over)

GO DIGITAL, or just use the radio like it is meant to be used, Push to Talk, Release to listen, go home alive

Slight problem...NFPA mandates analog simplex for Fireground. Many departments use MDC as a way to identify what unit is transmitting in the event of an emergency.

Yes, digital is no longer expensive per se, but why switch if it works. Look at NYPD....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazyboy

NX-5000 Series, Q&A, Info, and details

Slight problem...NFPA mandates analog simplex for Fireground. Many departments use MDC as a way to identify what unit is transmitting in the event of an emergency.

Yes, digital is no longer expensive per se, but why switch if it works. Look at NYPD....

False, the NFPA does not mandate analog simplex. Read the entire document. The radio only needs to have an analog simplex channel in it. This comes up all the time on here. Not saying that’s an excuse to not make DOS Mute work though.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
“Tactical on-scene Communications”...you can call it what you want but everyone in the fire service references it when discussing Fireground.

SCPD

QRT

Before you go on rampage maybe you'd notice I said users. I stated I could care less for most part a bleep or burp in a data id.

Matter of fact I been pushing for digital.

Do you represent kenwood?

Status
Not open for further replies.