NXDN and other digital modes in the Valley

Status
Not open for further replies.

N9JIG

Sheriff
I am working with an AOR DV1 digital receiver. Does anyone know of any confirmed NXDN users in the West Valley I might hear to see how it works?

I have already used it for TRBO and it seems to work fine. I am now waiting for a local D-Star (W7MOT) system to talk so I can hear it on that.

Thanks!

KB7MIB

There's none listed in the DB. There's lots of (what I have to assume is) DMR in the UHF 451 and 461 MHz ranges, as well as in the 935 MHz range, but I don't have DSD/SDR capabilities to confirm any of it.

I've heard some digital use in both 2m and 70cm as well.

Someone should map out the DMR users and submit the info to the DB.

John
Peoria

cellphone

Silent key.
Premium Subscriber
The problem is most listeners search for what they are interested in. Not many care about DMR in 451 to 461mhz because it is mostly businesses. Most scanner listeners don't care because they can't listen anyway. Even if they could, they probably wouldn't listen to the Phoenix zoo.

We barely have anyone submitting information on businesses that use analog that everyone could listen too, yet alone a niche like DMR.

KB7MIB

I see Chase Field is in the DB. Not surprising, as they're analog.

It's my understanding that the University of Phoenix stadium uses DMR. I'm surprised no one has mapped it out, considering the Superbowl was held there back in February. There's got to be interesting security comms there during normal Cardinals home games as well.

I'm not sure what is used at the Gila River arena, the outlet mall, or within the Westgate Entertainment Center area in general, but they're not in the DB, either. (I know one of the resturants is using a GMRS channel between the hostess and servers. Probably a bubblepack. Probably without a license. Is there a seafood-exclusive resturant there? That's the kind of food they were discussing.)

I don't see US Airways Arena, or whatever it's called now, in the DB, either.

There's only one frequency listed for the state fairgrounds. Surely there's more? And the old Coliseum there, as well?

I have some vacation time requested. Maybe I'll take a couple of days, drive around to the various strip malls in the area, and see what I can hear. I already have a few ideas, as far as a Home Depot, a Target and a Wal-Mart. I also know what Peoria High School uses.

John
Peoria

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
We keep hearing (from myself included) how much a P25, NXDN, DMR trunking scanner would be welcome at almost any price throughout the thread on RR about the AR-DV1. But in reality, I think the number of areas within the USA with heavy NXDN and DMR in the types of transmissions most would be interested in (law enforcement, fire, paramedic, etc) is still probably very limited. Even here in Los Angeles and So. Calif, there is very little NXDN or DMR (except for some railroad stuff) that most scanner enthusiasts probably want to listen to. Most of the NXDN and DMR is business stuff up in the 451 Mhz area.
After the novelty of trying to decode these NXDN and DMR stations using DSD+, or if a receiver that could it was available, the novelty probably would eventually wear off. The content of most NXDN and DMR transmissions is probably not what really interests most scanner enthusiasts. After the "decoding hunt" is over, back to "more interesting listening."
So come to think of it, how many people would really buy an AR-DV1 (or other receiver) even if trunking and the whole nine yards was available, but a very high price tag? Perhaps not all that many. Maybe AOR knows that and is not going to invest heavily in the scanner-oriented market.

rpgaun

Premium Subscriber
I see Chase Field is in the DB. Not surprising, as they're analog.

It's my understanding that the University of Phoenix stadium uses DMR. I'm surprised no one has mapped it out, considering the Superbowl was held there back in February. There's got to be interesting security comms there during normal Cardinals home games as well.

The stadium does use DMR and the Security comms can be interesting to down right stupid depending on which TG you are hearing (Every time I transmit it's clear concise and relevant of course...LOL). For the Superbowl a completely different system was brought in and set up. I know it was a Motorola 800 trunk digital working on 4 freqs just for security. It's gone now and we are back to the old system. There was a separate 800 Trunk digital system set up downtown for security operations at the different events. I believe the base units were located somewhere in the Convention Center.

Status
Not open for further replies.