• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

NXDN and P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProducerGuy

What Kenwood should do, is add DMR to that feature lineup. There are some, though not a lot of, public safety systems on DMR. Everybody keeps talking about interoperability, but I've not really seen anything that can deliver.

Kenwood should make a version of the NX-5000 that can cover VHF, UHF, and 700/800 in one box, even if that radio is a tad bigger than the current model. I'm not above carrying a radio that's a shade heavier than "X", as long as I get what I need. No need to weigh me down with more than one radio.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Kenwood does make DMR gear, but they don't market it here in the USA.
Theoretically it would be just as easy as what they did, DMR uses the same AMBE+2 vocoder as NXDN and P25, so again, it's likely just a software thing.

I doubt it will happen, at least not in the near future. DMR directly competes with NXDN, and while it would be nice for some, I don't expect it will happen anytime soon. Ideally, Kenwood wants to get local government agencies to put their public safety on P25 and their non-public safety on NXDN. This radio solves that issue.

I'm still waiting to see if Motorola comes up with an answer to this. They are really proud ($$$) of their P25 gear and don't seem to like people who they consider to be P25 customers to even think about DMR/MotoTrbo. I went through that with them a few years ago. Walked away and went to Kenwood.

I have heard "rumors" of a multi band radio, but it gets confusing when you look at the EFJ offerings. They sort of have one now, just doesn't have the Kenwood name on it.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
The NX 5000 model is due to get the DMR package sometime 2016. I have this through a reliable source. Something to watch!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Forgot to mention, I also have an email stating the nx-x40 series will have a low level DMR. According to the source, something to be mentioned at IWCE 15 next week. Not going to hold my breath, but shall see!

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Nx-x40 series portables are non display. Think of it like Motorola's CP-200d. It's Dmr cut way down.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Forgot to mention, I also have an email stating the nx-x40 series will have a low level DMR. According to the source, something to be mentioned at IWCE 15 next week. Not going to hold my breath, but shall see!

That would be interesting.
Kenwood just announced a "Version 2" of the NX-x40 series radios. The Version 1's only did 6.25KHz NXDN and analog. The Version 2's do 6.25KHz and 12.5KHz NXDN as well as analog. Seems strange that they'd be adding DMR to a radio that has just been updated and is pretty far on down the food chain for NX models.

Should be interesting to see what they say next week. They are supposed to have some info on the Version 2 NexEdge trunking also. I'll be there all day Thursday.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Make sure to meet with Don at the NXDN get together, email him for info.

Efm

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Make sure to meet with Don at the NXDN get together, email him for info.

Efm

I didn't talk to Don, but I talked to a few other Kenwood guys at the booth. I was specifically looking at the NX-5000's, not the NX-x40,s. Should be interesting to see this hit the market on the 5000's. It's going to be a great radio.
I'm thinking of purchasing a VHF mobile for my own private use, based on the new "feature" coming, it's going to be pretty darn incredible.

They did have a mobile there with 3 RF decks and the full feature head. Nice set up.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, it's coming, soon.

That radio was on display (along with a bunch more) at IWCE today. I was told that the three RF deck option hasn't been officially released yet, but will be soon. Story is they're still tweaking the interface to make it friendly for public safety use.
Looking at it live today, it was easy to read standing in front of it. Not sure about in a mobile environment. That is the full feature control head, not the standard one.

There are two options with the audio:
1 speaker where all audio is mixed. Speaker can be connected to the control head.
3 speaker set up where there is a "select" RF deck audio feed and 2 "unselect" RF deck audio feeds fed at 9dB less than the select audio. The speakers must be connected directly to the RF decks to use that function.

The display is really nice, easy to read in bright lights. The hand held radios were nice too.

I'm probably going to order a VHF mobile for my own personal use, and would likely go for the full feature control head, although the standard head is really good looking.

Hearing lots of rumors from all the right people about a DMR upgrade to this radio in the future. Considering they all use the same vocoder, it's just a software thing.
Should be a good all around radio. Would be nice if they ever come out with a low band RF deck. The TK-690 is the only one now, and while those will be in production for quite a while to come, having the ability to do low band on a multi RF deck set up would be nice. Probably make a lot of ham's have happy dreams.

Status
Not open for further replies.