R30 NXDN encryption decode

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
Anyone have any experience on how long it takes the R30 to decode an encrypted signal? Tenth of a second? One second?

And no lectures about encryption please.
 

chill1971

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Nov 1, 2006
Messages
31
Reaction score
20
Location
Opdyke, Illinois
I have never noticed a delay. It passed unencrypted signals, and switches between encrypted and unencrypted seamlessly.
 

Reconrider

Inside the Galaxy
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Sep 26, 2017
Messages
1,998
Reaction score
929
Location
Radio Galaxy
I've only had 1 time where it wouldn't decode, and that was because the signal wasn't that great.
Other than that, almost instant decode with nxdn encryption
 

UAT_978

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 6, 2021
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,609
Anyone have any experience on how long it takes the R30 to decode an encrypted signal? Tenth of a second? One second?

And no lectures about encryption please.

If you are scanning a TRS, you will have to put the channel in as clear and then again with the encryption key. If you have more than one key, the channel is duplicated for each key. I have not noticed any appreciable delay in doing this and it happily will skip over the channels if they are assigned the wrong key or if encrypted with out the key.

In other words, if the channel is mixed, it will not automatically select the encryption if the channel is set to clear, conversely it seems to remain muted if a clear transmission occurs when you have the channel set to enc with a key.
 

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
If you are scanning a TRS, you will have to put the channel in as clear and then again with the encryption key. If you have more than one key, the channel is duplicated for each key. I have not noticed any appreciable delay in doing this and it happily will skip over the channels if they are assigned the wrong key or if encrypted with out the key.

In other words, if the channel is mixed, it will not automatically select the encryption if the channel is set to clear, conversely it seems to remain muted if a clear transmission occurs when you have the channel set to enc with a key.

Hmm…mine isn’t skipping over transmissions with the wrong key. It just plays the undecrypted audio.
 

UAT_978

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 6, 2021
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,609
I just went and looked at my file and while I have both NXDN and DMR set up this way, It was DMR I had to put in each channel as Clear or ENC. I cannot remember at NXDN now. Ill have to fire it up and see when I get home.
 

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
Thinking about it more. How could it skip over a wrong key transmission? It doesn’t have a key ID, so unless the key variable is sent OTA it wouldn’t know if it’s the correct key or not. Or am I missing something?
 

UAT_978

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 6, 2021
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,609
I assumed it didnt produce decoded audio so it went along to the next channel.
 

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
I understand how this encryption works now. It’s a preset key, so 1-32,767 are the key ID’s. So yes, it should skip an incorrect key….I think. :p
 

racingfan360

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
254
It will decode an encrypted NXDN signal with the right key set almost instantly, very little difference if any when compared side by side with a Nexedge transceiver.

With no key set, an R30 will lock onto an encrypted channel but it mutes the audio output. With the wrong key set, an R30 will unmute and output garbled audio. It doesn't have any KeyID capability, and it ignores those bits of the transmission, so if two different keys are used on the same channel, it will come through clear on one (when the right key is used) and the other as garbled (wrong key used).

>so 1-32,767 are the key ID’s.
Not quite right. NXDN has nearly 33k possible keys from 1-32767. Most portables can have 16 possible keys programed at any one time so that's 16 possible KeyIDs (KeyID 0-15).
 
Last edited:

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
It will decode an encrypted NXDN signal with the right key set almost instantly, very little difference if any when compared side by side with a Nexedge transceiver.

With no key set, an R30 will lock onto an encrypted channel but it mutes the audio output. With the wrong key set, an R30 will unmute and output garbled audio. It doesn't have any KeyID capability, and it ignores those bits of the transmission, so if two different keys are used on the same channel, it will come through clear on one (when the right key is used) and the other as garbled (wrong key used).

>so 1-32,767 are the key ID’s.
Not quite right. NXDN has nearly 33k possible keys from 1-32767. Most portables can have 16 possible keys programed at any one time so that's 16 possible KeyIDs (KeyID 0-15).

Unfortunately I see you are correct. It will pass garbled audio on an incorrect key. Makes it difficult to scan between different keys. :(
 

racingfan360

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
254
The manual says the R30 has a feature called Fast Unmute, which AFAIK claims it will only unmute the audio when the key matches that in use. It's been a while since I tested but my recollection was it did nothing/didn't work as advertised. I reported it to Icom and haven't heard/seen anything from them since.
 

KevinC

32D2T/957.282
Super Moderator
Joined
Jan 7, 2001
Messages
14,836
Reaction score
24,631
Location
I'm everywhere Focker!
The manual says the R30 has a feature called Fast Unmute, which AFAIK claims it will only unmute the audio when the key matches that in use. It's been a while since I tested but my recollection was it did nothing/didn't work as advertised. I reported it to Icom and haven't heard/seen anything from them since.

Thanks. Tried it and it works intermittently. Better than nothing though.

When it works I may get a blip and that’s it, other times it just passes the garbled audio but will randomly move on after a few seconds…or not.
 

UAT_978

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 6, 2021
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,609
Ill have to check my firmware version, but I remember when I did this like a year ago, it remained muted on both DMR and NXDN with incorrect keys.
 

racingfan360

Member
Joined
Dec 19, 2005
Messages
1,230
Reaction score
254
Ill have to check my firmware version, but I remember when I did this like a year ago, it remained muted on both DMR and NXDN with incorrect keys.
Are you confusing DMR with dPMR? An Icom R30 won't do anything with DMR, scrambled or not.
 

UAT_978

Active Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Oct 6, 2021
Messages
1,359
Reaction score
1,609
dur... forget DMR, I dont know why i mentioned that. Time to go take a nap lol.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top