NY Penn Station Interop Frequency Among All Agencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Analogrules

There has been several news articles published about a year ago indicating that all agencies at NY Penn will soon be able to talk to each other on the same frequency/radios. So there must be either one frequency (or talkgroup under the Metro 25 system) in which Amtrak PD, MTA PD, and NYPD ALL have access to in order to communicate effectively at NY Penn....I would assume it is the main frequency used there now for all the agencies to communicate. If no one has that frequency, I may take a trip over there in the upcoming months with my scanner and see what I can close-call.

Darkstar350

With something like this i would have a scanner with all of the VTAC/UTAC/800mhz nationwide channels
Try this also -
460.48750 WPBQ332 M 241.8 PL TAC U Inter-Agency TAC

And some of the other NYPD Citywide/ "NYMAC" Channels

Its possible what your looking for could be a talkgroup on either the "Doit" or Metro 25 systems but when it comes to inter agency stuff if i had to guess i would say it would be something simplex or conventional...

tbendick

Premium Subscriber
Penn station is mostly VHF stuff. Put in FDNY VHF citywide with no PL and the old fireground 153.830 no PL. They are both used inside for incidents.

jaymatt1978

Speaking STRICTLY FOR RAILROAD POLICE I read somewhere that every railroad police department has 161.2050 for mutal aid purposed

Analogrules

Jaymatt, I am confused. If it is strictly railroad PD aka Amtrak, then how can it also be for mutual aid? Does MTA PD and NYPD also have access to that frequency?

Rudy3145

Feed Provider
Penn Station is an interesting setup. You have a lot of agencies and radios need to work above and worse, below ground. Above you have NYPD Pct, below you have NYPD Transit, MTA PD, Amtrak PD along with a military guard contingent. Mix in the FDNY and EMS and all the station management personnel and out comes a nightmare. God speed in the event of an emergency!

Analogrules

I agree Rudy. The thing that baffles me is that there were a few articles and news reports last year that indicated all these agencies would soon have interop radio access on a certain frequency. I would assume by now they already have their radios set up for that. But perhaps not? I would also think it will be an analog frequency, since digital won't work too well underground at NY Penn. But I agree that since all these agencies use different frequencies, even if a smaller incident occurs such as a fight, how would Amtrak PD call MTA PD or NYPD for backup?? There must be some kind of common interop/mutual aid channel in all their radios for these incidents. At any given time, I only count maybe 2-3 officers of EACH agency inside the station.

jaymatt1978

If neededed MTA can talk to AMTRAK PD, NJ Transit PD, Etc. using 161.2050

Jaymatt, I am confused. If it is strictly railroad PD aka Amtrak, then how can it also be for mutual aid? Does MTA PD and NYPD also have access to that frequency?

Analogrules

Thanks Jaymatt. I will throw that one in my scanner next time I am in the area. Is that frequency in the db somewhere already? It doesn't sound like one I heard mentioned before.

jaymatt1978

Amtrak, LIRR, NJ TRansit (before they went to 700Mhz) and other railroads all have their own police, some time ago someon said 161.2050 was the railroad police "Mutual Aid" Channel

Analogrules

You are correct. I just googled the frequency and noticed it is a common Nationwide Mutual Aid Railroad PD frequency shared by other agencies. I would imagine it is still in all their radios. Hmmm, makes me wonder if you just uncovered the secret frequency the National Guard uses over there.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I will be up there in 2 weeks when i get back from my business trip. i will use the TRX-1 and see what i can grab.

Analogrules

That would be great Priority One. Please keep me posted, and submit any new info to the db.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I am still going to be in search of the secret GCT frequencies. I heard they are in the railroad spectrum but unsure how long it is going to be before they key up. I live on the LES so i can get to both locations easily. any tips on what bands other than the RR band i should be searching in?

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Speaking STRICTLY FOR RAILROAD POLICE I read somewhere that every railroad police department has 161.2050 for mutal aid purposed

161.205 is the AAR (Association of American Railroads) designated nationwide interop frequency for railroad police agencies. It applies across all of the U.S., and most of Canada.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Quote"
Penn station is mostly VHF stuff. Put in FDNY VHF citywide with no PL and the old fireground 153.830 no PL. They are both used inside for incidents.

Does FDNY have VHF portables sitting at a location at Penn? This is the case at GCT, there is a box located off Vandebuilt Ave with a dozen or so XTS-3000 vhf radios. Output is 153.83 C.S.

MTAPD has in their APX radios in the Penn Station bank : MTAcitywide, V-Law 1, V-Law31. There are also others that I cannot list. The main common channels seem to be V-Law1 and V-Law 31 in every bank.

As far as GCT secret channels, they are not RR channels, and you would have to be in the terminal proper as there is no coverage outside the building. That's accomplished by radiating cable and very low power.

Status
Not open for further replies.