NYC Sanitation Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

scosgt

gcr33
Premium Subscriber Join Date: Dec 2001

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, reading the CPL does not tell you everything. They are Law enforcement. They are authorized by the City of NY administrative code to carry weapons. The CPL says an authorized agency. Well the city has the authority to authorize.

No, that's not true. The State Law governs. The only way the City can "authorize" firearms is either:
1. Issue a permit
2. Appoint as a Special Patrolman and issue a permit

UNLESS the employee is a member of a NAMED group in the CPL, in which case the authorization comes directly from State law. It is a bit of a patchwork, but the Sanitation Department is not an "authorized agency" as you seem to be reading it. That is why the Officers are specifically named in the law. OR, as I said, they could appoint them as NYC Special Patrolman, which is what most of the permit-armed (or unarmed) Peace Officers are registered as.

scosgt

Just to follow up, the NYC Sanitation Department is NOT a Law Enforcement Agency, and the Sanitation Police are not an actual Police Department. Since the Officers are named in the Penal Law, there is no question as to their status.

However, since they require Police issued permits to possess firearms, they would not qualify as a distinct Law Enforcement Agency for purposes such as buying guns directly from manufacturers and having them shipped to headquarters. Some other Agencys, such as Courts and Corrections, which do not need permits, do qualify for that.

scosgt

As far as DOC, that is very strange. It is ones constitutional ability to bear arms, I gues they have to abide by what they signed up for. Still very strange. I see that being a very interesting court battle. How could your agency restrict you from getting a license.

The recent Supreme Court decision (which I APPLAUD) does NOT say it is a Constitutional Right to walk around armed. It did not go that far. It stated that POSSESSION in the HOME is a right, but that it can be regulated. I don't know what you mean by DOC, maybe you meant some other agency?

scosgt

The law makes no distinction between the terminology in the CPL regarding permit/no permit. All peace officer legislation now includes that as a standard "canned" text.

I don't understand this post. Some Peace Officers need a permit, some do not. There is nothing standard about needing a permit in the CPL. It depends on the job.

scosgt

Then you have the Feds who thrown their own LEO's into the mix

Interestingly, some Federal Officers are NOT considered Peace Officers in NY. I didn't look to see if it was changed (so don't jump on me) but it has been a long term complaint that Federal Corrections Officers were NOT Peace Officers under NY Law, so could not purchase a firearm from a dealer, as they had no actual NYS authority to possess. Of course, they still carried, as the State can not stop the Feds from that. But dealers are (were?) not allowed to sell them guns!

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
"The law makes no distinction between the terminology in the CPL regarding permit/no permit. All peace officer legislation now includes that as a standard "canned" text.
I don't understand this post. Some Peace Officers need a permit, some do not. There is nothing standard about needing a permit in the CPL. It depends on the job."

To clarify this, the existing legislation you are looking at is old. What people have they have already.

Any new Peace Officer legislation passed will have the new text added about permits, that is for any agency. The only time I see that changing is for a state agency, not for any one else.

Just to further clarify, any agency that employess a law enforcement officer, peace or police officer is a law enforcement agency. What should be the distinction is if they are a police agency or not. We don not have law enforcement districts, we have police districts in NY.

Stay safe, Great discussion here. Rob

scosgt

To clarify this, the existing legislation you are looking at is old. What people have they have already.

Any new Peace Officer legislation passed will have the new text added about permits, that is for any agency. The only time I see that changing is for a state agency, not for any one else.

Just to further clarify, any agency that employess a law enforcement officer, peace or police officer is a law enforcement agency. What should be the distinction is if they are a police agency or not. We don not have law enforcement districts, we have police districts in NY.

FIRST of all, there is only ONE Police District in New York State - Port Washington. You can look it up. There is also an Opinion of the Attorney General (which has the force of law until overturned in Court or by the Legislature) that PW Special Police are Peace Officers when on duty - because it is a Police District and has powers unique to itself. At one time the Special Officers were armed on duty, but I think that was many years ago.

Many agencys employ Peace Officers and are NOT Law Enforcement Agencys - Department of Motor Vehicles, Health and Hospitals, Dept of Mental Hygiene, NY Racing Authority, etc. That is to say, their primary charter is NOT Law Enforcement. The Buffalo Housing Authority is specifically named in the CPL, it is clearly not a Law Enforcement Agency. Nor is Co-Op city or Seagate, but they do employ Peace Officers. Nor is Macy's department store, but they do employ SMPA personnel, who are Peace Officers. The whole point of the Peace Officer designation is that a government entity or even a business can employ sworn personnel for limited purposes - in many cases for security, or for enforcing certain laws (such as sanitation laws) that fall directly witin the purview of that agency. Police departments, of course, enforce all Laws, so there are less limitations on the power of the Officers. Some Peace Officers have wider duties than others, which is somewhat reflected in the fact that some need permits and others do not, because carrying firearms is more directly necessary to their jobs.

I guess you have some insight into the Legislature to make that statement - you somehow know for a fact that all future Peace Officer legislation will be of the class that requires a firearms permit? How exactly do you know that? The fact is, there is a Bill pending in the NYS Legislature (not passed yet AFAIK) that REMOVES the permit requirement for Sanitation Police.
There are also several bills out there that change the status of some Peace Officers into Police Officers - TBTA and Courts for two examples. Neither have been signed by the Governor yet.

FireMarshalRob

Feed Provider
Yes, You are correct about some agencies requesting police status. I have been deeply involved in recent legislation for certain agencies and obtaining peace officer status.

You are going to see a trend of alot of agenices dumping peace officer status to police status for the simple fact that alot of the rules are gray areas, and quit cumbersome.

The old governer, or romeo as we refer to him really screwed alot of things up, hopefully petterson will do a better job and be more responsive to law enforcement.

I still amicably disagree with you about law enforcement agencies. But, We can agree to disagree.

comspec

Then you have the Feds who thrown their own LEO's into the mix

Interestingly, some Federal Officers are NOT considered Peace Officers in NY. I didn't look to see if it was changed (so don't jump on me) but it has been a long term complaint that Federal Corrections Officers were NOT Peace Officers under NY Law, so could not purchase a firearm from a dealer, as they had no actual NYS authority to possess. Of course, they still carried, as the State can not stop the Feds from that. But dealers are (were?) not allowed to sell them guns!

That was also my understanding with regards to some of the FEDS especially those with Land Management Law Enforcement responsibilities like NPS Rangers, US Forest Rangers, BLM Rangers, USF&W Service. I also think the same applies to Postal Police who perform more of a security function as opposed to Postal Inspectors who have more of a Law Enforcement function. They generally can carry their service issues weapons but can't go to a dealer show their federal credentials and buy a handgun with it. For many FED LEOs like Rangers, many states recognize them as Peace Officer's when they are off duty and acting outside their official duties, some states remain silent on the issue. I also know many of the locals are confussed also. I asked a local cop about an NPS Ranger and he told me, they have full police powers by federal law, so the state has no say in it. I had another say, the law is silent, so outside their juristdiction they have no authority whatsoever.

From a "Customer's" stand-point, this can be confussing but If someone with a uniform, no matter what color it is, has some sort of badge, is carrying a firearm and appears to be issuing you a lawful order. "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT." It's probably a good idea to comply rather then try to figure out if the person is a police or peace officer or security guard. If it turns out they overstepped their authority, that can be settled in court.

scosgt

From a "Customer's" stand-point, this can be confussing but If someone with a uniform, no matter what color it is, has some sort of badge, is carrying a firearm and appears to be issuing you a lawful order. "STOP OR I'LL SHOOT." It's probably a good idea to comply rather then try to figure out if the person is a police or peace officer or security guard. If it turns out they overstepped their authority, that can be settled in court.

That is certainly true - well almost!!!
Today in the news is a security video of a guy who walked into a Check Cashing/Western Union store dressed as a cop/security guard, and proceeded to rob the place of $500k
Who knew?

scosgt

Yes, You are correct about some agencies requesting police status. I have been deeply involved in recent legislation for certain agencies and obtaining peace officer status.

You are going to see a trend of alot of agenices dumping peace officer status to police status for the simple fact that alot of the rules are gray areas, and quit cumbersome.

The old governer, or romeo as we refer to him really screwed alot of things up, hopefully petterson will do a better job and be more responsive to law enforcement.

Much of this is in the Governors hands now, we'll see.....

comspec

That is certainly true - well almost!!!
Today in the news is a security video of a guy who walked into a Check Cashing/Western Union store dressed as a cop/security guard, and proceeded to rob the place of $500k
Who knew?

Like I said, it must be an apparently lawful order. But between you and me, if someone points a gun at me and tells me to give him my wallet, it is not going to matter to me if he is dressed like a cop or a clown.

sc800

Much of this is in the Governors hands now, we'll see.....

I'm surprised agencies are doing this, from a cost effectiveness point of view. If they do become police officers, doesn't that mean they would have to resend everyone through a full police academy?

scosgt

I'm surprised agencies are doing this, from a cost effectiveness point of view. If they do become police officers, doesn't that mean they would have to resend everyone through a full police academy?

Depends on the Agency. So agencys that employ Peace Officers already have the equivalent of a full Police Academy with certified Police instructors.

mikeycrumbs

yes they carry guns

san police carry guns and ware bulletproof vests. they dont chase people who litter they care about the people who dump van loads of construction material anywhere they please stuff like that. the reason why they carry guns is that there aloud to confuscate trucks and give very high fines out like 50000 dollar fines. FACT no san p.o has every died in the line of duty.

sancop

Lets Get The Record Straight In Regards To NYC Sanitation Police Officers

NYC Sanitation Police are not Special Patrolman. They are NYS Certified Peace Officers that carry on duty and off duty Glock 19s and Glock 26s. There are many divisions of NYC Sanitation Police Officers with different Law Enforcement Functions: The City Wide Illegal Dumping Task Force (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan Task Force), The Environmental Police Unit (Assigned to the Enforcement of the Illegal Transportation, Removal, and Disposal of Asbestos, Radioactive and Hazardous Waste), The Environmental Police Unit Assigned To the Permit and Inspection Unit (Enforcement of Rules and Regulations of Permitted Transfer Stations, Shutting Down and Seizing/Impounding Equipment of Illegal Transfer Stations, City Wide Private Carter Truck Enforcement) as well as Law Enforcement Personnel assigned to The NYC Business Integrity Commission and NYC Office of Emergency Management. Although many times challenged, we never ran into any grey areas (search warrants, bench warrants, arrest, etc.)

We patrol the streets, alley ways, vacant lots, etc. of New York City 24 hours/7 days a week like any other beat cop but we do it mainly plainclothes and undercover and in unmarked vehicles. We make a tremendous amount of vehicle stops of trucks and passenger vehicles which increases the danger of our Law Enforcement Duties when issuing environmental, traffic and criminal court summonses (which is why we carry). There are a few (Armed) Uniformed Sanitation Police who patrol NYC in marked vehicles that enforce the the NYS Penal Law, NYC Administrative Code, NYS Environmental Conservation Law, NYS Traffic Laws and Parking Violations.

We do not guard or protect garbage. We protect the public health and safety of New York City. Whether we remain Peace Officers (2.10 CPL) or become Police Officers (1.20 CPL) it makes no difference to us, because our Law Enforcement functions will remain the same. NYS CPL § 140.27 states that the rules governing the manner in which a peace officer may make an arrest, pursuant to section 140.25, are the same as those governing arrests by police officers, as prescribed in section 140.15. Who wants to make an off-duty arrest anyway unless there is an immediate danger to someone's life, call 911 (on a cell phone) if you see a perp breaking into a car, unless it is your car?

And I do not have any fequencies because of organized criminality in the private carting industry...

Links: Press Releases 2008
Finding the Scary in the Merely Messy; First Warning of Mass Threat May Come From Garbage Police - The New York Times

It is AMAZING the amount of false information that is put out here.

First of all, Sanitation Police are NOT Police Officers, they are Peace Officers designated as New York City Special Patrolmen, and are NOT armed unless they have a permit issued by the NYC Police Department and are authorized to carry firearms by the agency. The New York State Penal law is as follows:

New York city special patrolmen appointed by the police
commissioner pursuant to subdivision c or e of section 434a-7.0 or
subdivision c or e of section 14-106 of the administrative code of the
city of New York; provided, however, that nothing in this subdivision
shall be deemed to authorize such officer to carry, possess, repair or
dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate license therefor has been
issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal law and the employer has
authorized such officer to possess a firearm during any phase of the
officers on-duty employment. Special patrolmen shall have the powers set
forth in section 2.20 of this article only when they are acting pursuant
to their special duties

They are NOT full time Peace Officers, only when acting pursuant to their jobs.

Hospital Police in NYC are also NOT Police Officers, they are Peace Officers deisgnated in the New York State Criminal Procedure Law as follows:

40. Special officers employed by the city of New York or by the New
York city health and hospitals corporation; provided, however, that
nothing in this subdivision shall be deemed to authorize such officer to
carry, possess, repair or dispose of a firearm unless the appropriate
license therefor has been issued pursuant to section 400.00 of the penal
law. The New York city health and hospitals corporation shall employ
peace officers appointed pursuant to this subdivision to perform the
patrol, investigation, and maintenance of the peace duties of special
officer, senior special officer and hospital security officer, provided
however that nothing in this subdivision shall prohibit managerial,
supervisory, or state licensed or certified professional employees of
the corporation from performing such duties where they are incidental to

their usual duties, or shall prohibit police officers employed by the
city of New York from performing these duties.

And AGAIN, they are NOT armed except with a pistol license issued by the NYPD.

The New York State Criminal Procedure Law (CPL) can be found here:

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/menugetf.cgi?COMMONQUERY=LAWS

There are SOME posts in both agencys that are armed, but MOST Hospital "Police" and Sanitation "Police" are NOT armed.

Please check your sources before posting things here as "facts".
The above citation of the CPL lists all those Peace Officers who are armed full time without a separate permit, and also lists ALL those designated in New York State as "Police Officers".

sancop

Stop The Misinformation about NYC Sanitation Police

NYC Sanitation Police are not Special Patrolman. They are NYS Certified Peace Officers (NYS CPL § 2.10/59) that carry on duty and off duty Glock 19s and Glock 26s. There are many divisions of NYC Sanitation Police Officers with different Law Enforcement Functions: The City Wide Illegal Dumping Task Force (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Staten Island and Manhattan Task Force), The Environmental Police Unit (Assigned to the Enforcement of the Illegal Transportation, Removal, and Disposal of Asbestos, Radioactive and Hazardous Waste), The Environmental Police Unit Assigned To the Permit and Inspection Unit (Enforcement of Rules and Regulations of Permitted Transfer Stations, Shutting Down and Seizing/Impounding Equipment of Illegal Transfer Stations, City Wide Private Carter Truck Enforcement) as well as Law Enforcement Personnel assigned to The NYC Business Integrity Commission and NYC Office of Emergency Management. Although many times challenged, we never ran into any grey areas (search warrants, bench warrants, arrest, etc.)
We patrol the streets, alley ways, vacant lots, etc. of New York City 24 hours/7 days a week like any other beat cop but we do it mainly plainclothes and undercover and in unmarked vehicles. We make a tremendous amount of vehicle stops of trucks and passenger vehicles which increases the danger of our Law Enforcement Duties when issuing environmental, traffic and criminal court summonses (which is why we carry). There are a few (Armed) Uniformed Sanitation Police who patrol NYC in marked vehicles that enforce the the NYS Penal Law, NYC Administrative Code, NYS Environmental Conservation Law, NYS Traffic Laws and Parking Violations.
We do not guard or protect garbage. We protect the public health and safety of New York City. Whether we remain Peace Officers (2.10 CPL) or become Police Officers (1.20 CPL) it makes no difference to us, because our Law Enforcement functions will remain the same. NYS CPL § 140.27 states that the rules governing the manner in which a peace officer may make an arrest, pursuant to section 140.25, are the same as those governing arrests by police officers, as prescribed in section 140.15. Who wants to make an off-duty arrest anyway unless there is an immediate danger to someone's life, call 911 (on a cell phone) if you see a perp breaking into a car, unless it is your car?

Press Releases 2008
Finding the Scary in the Merely Messy; First Warning of Mass Threat May Come From Garbage Police - The New York Times

34. "Police officer." The following persons are police officers:
(a) A sworn member of the division of state police;
(b) Sheriffs, under-sheriffs and deputy sheriffs of counties outside
of New York City;
(c) A sworn officer of an authorized county or county parkway police
department;
(d) A sworn officer of an authorized police department or force of a
city, town, village or police district;
(e) A sworn officer of an authorized police department of an authority
or a sworn officer of the state regional park police in the office of
parks and recreation;
(f) A sworn officer of the capital police force of the office of
general services;
(g) An investigator employed in the office of a district attorney;
(h) An investigator employed by a commission created by an interstate
compact who is, to a substantial extent, engaged in the enforcement of
the criminal laws of this state;
(i) The chief and deputy fire marshals, the supervising fire marshals
and the fire marshals of the bureau of fire investigation of the New
York City fire department;
(j) A sworn officer of the division of law enforcement in the
department of environmental conservation;
(k) A sworn officer of a police force of a public authority created by
an interstate compact;
(l) Long Island railroad police.
(m) A special investigator employed in the statewide organized crime
task force, while performing his assigned duties pursuant to section
seventy-a of the executive law.
(n) A sworn officer of the Westchester county department of public
safety services who, on or prior to June thirtieth, nineteen hundred
seventy-nine was appointed as a sworn officer of the division of
Westchester county parkway police or who was appointed on or after July
first, nineteen hundred seventy-nine to the title of police officer,
sergeant, lieutenant, captain or inspector or who, on or prior to
January thirty-first, nineteen hundred eighty-three, was appointed as a
Westchester county deputy sheriff.

(o) A sworn officer of the water-supply police employed by the city of
New York, appointed to protect the sources, works, and transmission of
water supplied to the city of New York, and to protect persons on or in
the vicinity of such water sources, works, and transmission.
(p) Persons appointed as railroad policemen pursuant to section
eighty-eight of the railroad law.
(q) An employee of the department of taxation and finance (i) assigned
to enforcement of the taxes imposed under or pursuant to the authority
of article twelve-A of the tax law and administered by the commissioner
of taxation and finance, taxes imposed under or pursuant to the
authority of article eighteen of the tax law and administered by the
commissioner, taxes imposed under article twenty of the tax law, or
sales or compensating use taxes relating to automotive fuel or
cigarettes imposed under article twenty-eight or pursuant to the
authority of article twenty-nine of the tax law and administered by the
commissioner or (ii) designated as a revenue crimes specialist and
assigned to the enforcement of the taxes described in paragraph (c) of
subdivision four of section 2.10 of this title, for the purpose of
applying for and executing search warrants under article six hundred
ninety of this chapter, for the purpose of acting as a claiming agent
under article thirteen-A of the civil practice law and rules in
connection with the enforcement of the taxes referred to above and for
the purpose of executing warrants of arrest relating to the respective
crimes specified in subdivision four of section 2.10 of this title.
(r) Any employee of the Suffolk county department of parks who is
appointed as a Suffolk county park police officer.
(s) A university police officer appointed by the state university
pursuant to paragraph 1 of subdivision two of section three hundred
fifty-five of the education law.
(t) A sworn officer of the department of public safety of the Buffalo
municipal housing authority who has achieved or been granted the status
of sworn police officer and has been certified by the division of
criminal justice services as successfully completing an approved basic
course for police officers.
(u) Persons appointed as Indian police officers pursuant to section
one hundred fourteen of the Indian law.
(v) Supervisor of forest ranger services; assistant supervisor of
forest ranger services; forest ranger 3; forest ranger 2; forest ranger
1 employed by the state department of environmental conservation or
sworn officer of the division of forest protection and fire management
in the department of environmental conservation responsible for wild
land search and rescue, wild land fire management in the state as
prescribed in subdivision eighteen of section 9-0105 and title eleven of
article nine of the environmental conservation law, exercising care,
custody and control of state lands administered by the department of
environmental conservation.

ONLY THOSE LISTED ABOVE ARE POLICE OFFICERS. WHEN YOU LOCATE SANITATION POLICE, LET ME KNOW.

ONLY THOSE LISTED IN CPL 1.20 ARE PEACE OFFICERS. WHEN YOU LOCATE SANITATION POLICE IN THERE LET ME KNOW.

They are NYC Special Patrolmen, as listed above.

Beyond citing the law, there is nothing more to say. you can not be a Police Officer in New York State if you are not listed in the section above.

They are not the special patrolman you are talking about. Those were the guys in the old days with the "cookie" round badges. Generally retired cops working as guards in banks. I don't even know if they are around anymore.

Once again totally wrong. NYC can disignate anyone they choose as a Special Patrolman. They do so all the time. They include Co-Op City "police", the Store Merchants Protective Association Offiers (SMPA), they process all the arrests for the large retail stores like Macy's, and NUMEROUS other groups that exist and function at this time. They are NOT retired cops, these are full time jobs.

Here are a few more, just do a Google search:

NYC Urban Park Service Search & Rescue
Members are NYC Parks Enforcement Police Officers/Urban Park Rangers-NYS Peace Officers deputized by NYC Police Dept (Special Patrolman), trained in Rope Rescue,Ice Rescue & Shore/Boat-based Water Rescue. Cover all NYC parkland & natural areas. Provided assistance to areas outside NYC (New Jersey, & Upstate New York). We have volunteers on staff. Unit is on-call 24-hours/7-days. SAR team activated through NYC Parks Police Dispatch Center at: (646) 613-1200. Available for All types of Searches, Rescues, Fires, & Medical response. We also provide "Event" coverage. Go to our website for more info

School Safety Agents provide security and ensure the safety of students, faculty and visitors in New York City Public School buildings and surrounding premises. This position may entail the following duties:
Performing patrol within school buildings and on surrounding premises.
Operating stationary and/or hand held scanning equipment.
Verifying identity of visitors to school buildings and escorting them to appropriate offices.
Challenging unauthorized personnel and removing them from premises.
Intervening in verbal or physical altercations between students.
Confiscating weapons and other contraband from students.
Effecting arrests and completion of related forms.
Transporting juveniles or other detainees to appropriate booking facilities when necessary.

Employment Requirements

Candidates must be at least 21 years of age at time of appointment.
Candidates must have a High School Diploma or GED.
Candidates must be a United States Citizen.
Candidates must reside in one of the five boroughs of New York City.
Candidates must pass a drug screening.
Candidates must pass a character and background investigation.
Candidates must meet certain medical and psychological requirements.
Candidates must be eligible to obtain NYC Special Patrolman status upon appointment and become certified as a NYC Special Patrolman within three (3) months of appointment. Special Patrolman certification must be maintained for the duration of employment in this title.
Candidates must pay a $75.00 fee for fingerprinting as part of the investigation

Oh, did I mention NYC taxi and limosine inspector:

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/downloads/pdf/inspector_vacancies.pdf

Please, only those specifically listed as Police Officers are such. ONLY those listed as Peace Officers in CPL 1.20 are such. All those other uniformed enforcement jobs in NYC "may" be Peace Officers, as the City has the power to designate Special Patrolmen as per the CPL that I posted above. That's it, end of debate.[/QUOTE]

sancop

All department weapons are bought from Glock in the state of Georgia just like any other law Enforcement Agency in New York. We also have Glock certifed (Sanitation Police) Armorers.

sancop

Not entirely true, a NYC Sanitation Police Lieutenant died on duty of a heart attack approx. 18 years ago while at a vehicle stop of a suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.