NYC Sanitation Police

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you seen guys switch from NYPD to become a SanCop? You guys should be immune from possible layoffs within the dept. Rumors that I have heard are between 200-700 sanworkers. I am not OTJ,but on the current DSNY#6063 list.

silverbk

Premium Subscriber
All Coast Guard Petty Officers and Commisioned Officers are considered "Federal Law Enforcement Officer's" but there authority to carry firearms, make arrests and such are very very restricted and are more a function of the assignment they are given at the time and less function of who they are. Example, a boarding officer on duty, on patrol vs. the same person walking home from duty.

Military Police have what is called authority, but not juristdiction over civilians. This was explained to me that they can give you a ticket and arrest you (authority) but must turn you over to civilian law enforement and courts as they lack jusristdiction.

As a veteran of the Coast Guard (in NYC) and military police officer I want to correct the above post at the risk of straying off topic. There have been several recent cases of Coast Guard members carrying "off duty" and they have been upheld by NY courts. The important one is the Booth decision. I will try and post the text. The case law is quite clear. Even off duty they are considered Federal Law Enforcement officers and are authorized to carry under Federal law. However you will not find them in the Penal code or CPL.

I had the privilege of serving as a police officer with the Governors Island Police Department when Governors Island was still a US Coast Guard installation. I use the term police officer because that is what my ID card said and simply was the job we did. We also carried authority cards and they stated that we had police powers on Governors Island and some other facilities that the Coast Guard owned or leased, such as the ferry terminal and the housing area in Manhattan Beach. In any other place we simply had our original Coast Guard authority.

Duty in these areas often included interactions with civilians and I arrested and cited many. The civilian status is irrelevant on a Federal reservation such as Governors Island (at the time). All cases were either adjudicated locally by the CO (for military folks) or adjudicated in the US District Court for the Eastern District of NY (Cadman Plaza).

Text of the Booth Decision

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2108526/posts

http://www.recordonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080529/NEWS/80529039

http://www.handgunlaw.us/documents/LEOSACoastGuardCarryCourtCase.pdf

Last edited:
boy i am glad i don't live in NYC. I like to dumpster dive for electronics to repair and use for myself or sell.

i got my whole living room entertainment center that way along with alot of computer stuff, even laptops.

it would really suck if i could not do that anymore.

luckily we have no sanitation police here and people are thrilled if you haul away a piece of their junk.

boy i am glad i don't live in NYC. I like to dumpster dive for electronics to repair and use for myself or sell.

i got my whole living room entertainment center that way along with alot of computer stuff, even laptops.

it would really suck if i could not do that anymore.

luckily we have no sanitation police here and people are thrilled if you haul away a piece of their junk.

They go after the people who steal the recyclables,metal stuff,etc. People with vans mainly. The stuff that you go after wouldn't be a problem in NYC. Once garbage is put on the curb it becomes public property. NYC makes money by selling the recycling to scrap metal companies.

They are not going to arrest you for taking a tv or any electronics item from the curb.

Status
Not open for further replies.