Nypd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mig192837465

Hi, im new to this whole radio scanner thing and all i really wanna do is scan for the NYPD precincts and such, what exactly do i need to know how to do and what are any good scanners to buy? Thank you for any help.

SCANdal

Silent Key
mig,

For all of your New York City needs there's www.n2nov.net

Seeing as how the NYCPD system is conventional analog, most any scanner will do in terms of listening in on all their radio traffic. Since your profile is incomplete, I don't know where you are attempting to listen from. Assuming you are within New York City, it may behove you to purchase a scanner that has the ability to do CTCSS decoding (i.e.: the PRO-97), so that you aren't bombarded with interference on the channels you opt to monitor.

Welcome to the hobby and best wishes,

SCANdal

mig192837465

i live on the west side of midtown manhattan so will i be able to get only nearby precincts with the pro 97 or can i get a wider range?

Spec

The best way to find that out is to monitor the pct frequencies you are interested in. Generally speaking you should not have a problem. You may have some dead spots within the building you are located in. All things given you should not have too much of a problem with the exception of any frequencies that are set up in a simplex mode. Only you can really answer that question by monitoring the specific frequencies you wish to hear.

Spec

That is more of a personal thing. Some folks will tout the Uniden , yet others will prefer the GRE or who ever Radio Shack is that day. Neither radio is really bad. Both have good points and bad. It's really what works for you. If you are happy with it then it's a good radio for you.

SCANdal

Silent Key
Are we looking at a new or used unit?

Spec,

I've messed with both of the models mig is looking at. For a newbie just getting into scanning, I'd recommend the PRO-97 over the BC246T. The PRO-97 is a simpler unit to program; I feel the dynamic allocation feature would confuse most newbies. The price difference, especially when the PRO-97 goes on sale, is a plus.

SCANdal

moonies

another suggestion I would make is since many systems plan to switch to p25 and or digital mixed mode why not spend the dollars if you can,now for a unit capable of digital and ready for reband so when the time comes you are READY!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.