Kb2Jpd

Has a new jammer

At the hours of 4 am til about 5 30 am

A male called a 1013 officer down needs help has been shot

Put it over Staten Island and last went over SOD with the same

No mdc on his transmission

Looks like if this continues NYPD will be going full encryption

They will have no choice

They haven't and they will when the time is right. Narcotics and IAD are by default Motorola encrypted. However, they are using Vertex and testing other models in conventional repeater mode.

You do know that they have the means to find the unique key on and key off signatures of the transmitter. Each is unique to each radio.

Let the hunt begin. We know who is going to win. The dispatchers will start with mixer off and the hunt begins.

If you want to help, DF and if you hear them on the input, call it in. The police will appreciate your help.

Adam Kb2Jpd FDNY EMS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FDNY216

Was JETBLUE1424
These radio that the jerks are using are not stolen dept radios

Last group was caught with low cost HT's

Darkstar350

Who needs radio encryption when you can xray people and eavesdrop on cell phones? :p

But seriously the NYPD has one of the most efficient radio systems in all of NY if not the entire country
They have access to digital encrypted channels when they need them
It would take billions of dollars and decades for NYPD to go full digital

Either way - digital or not radios can still be jammed and interfered with
One big advantage with the NYPD radio system and incidents of fake calls and such is their repeaters are set up so that radios can somewhat "talk at the same time"...

Kb2Jpd

Who needs radio encryption when you can xray people and eavesdrop on cell phones? :p

But seriously the NYPD has one of the most efficient radio systems in all of NY if not the entire country
They have access to digital encrypted channels when they need them
It would take billions of dollars and decades for NYPD to go full digital

Either way - digital or not radios can still be jammed and interfered with
One big advantage with the NYPD radio system and incidents of fake calls and such is their repeaters are set up so that radios can somewhat "talk at the same time"...

They use multiple remote bases so they can listen full duplex all the time. Used to do it as a control operator during special talkin s on my old uhf repeater using extra hts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KC2GSP

The sky is the limit when it comes to any individual hoping to jam public service frequencies but with that being said, I firmly believe that with the availability of all these Chinese radios out there, it certainly doesn't help. You can go digital, encrypted, trunked etc but people can jam control freqs. There are systems out there using revolving control channels though. I imagine that average idiot jammers out there are merely doing it for the ease. If it took any extra effort other than the zero effort it takes now, it would probably be greatly reduced. The NYPD system is quite robust for being analog but as with any other NYPD (or NYC contract bid) the lowest bidder takes the cake.

allend

Premium Subscriber
Just give it some time and help from the public and this idiot will be caught. When you get comfortable doing it all the time is when they will throw the hammer down on your A$$.

With all of the RF going on through-out downtown New York it would be a bad idea to goto using Trunking digital with encryption. A receipe for complete disaster and NY does not need another disaster like 9/11.

Analog conventional is the best for their city for the long term future. Just catch that idiot and be done with it.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Actually the lowest bidder is not always used in NYC especially when it comes to NYPD. Mot has just about always gotten the bid to build update repair their system. The only exception I can think of is the Vetex portable boondogle, and that was a result of Mot not building a SP radio for NYPD to their liking. Something they have always done in the past.

They have a more than competent radio shop with some rally scary capable DF equipment so I would say that new jammers days are numbered.

BTW that DF equipment actually requires a Defense Department license for use in the US, and probably elsewhere.

Rred

NYPD has "special" radio demands, has spent decades even well before 9/11 trying to get systems that will work across the three agencies (Housing and Transit were separate departments) and still work in skyscrapers of the kind you don't find in most places. And huge low-income subsidized housing developments. And somehow still integrate with FDNY and others in emergencies. And a fleet (10? 12?) or aircraft, where the radios need to be FAA certified as well. Oh, and the harbor units....

So any radio changes will be slow and very expensive.

On the other hand every precinct has vehicles on the streets all the time, easily capable of having RDF equipment installed. And lots of foot patrol capable of working it down from there. And of course, the helos can have RDF installed for a fast general fix that doesn't suffer too badly from multipath.

Some of the loose screws will get five figures fines, which NYC will not reduce, and a year at Riker's, and the problem will go away.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
NYPD has a very simple system, low power analog transmitters (usually 30 watts) near where they need to cover and at elevation to work into buildings. Lots of voting receivers, analog for now, but with borough or citywide transmitters that are now digital and sometimes encrypted.

NYPD merger of all agencies with Transit and Housing wasn't really completed as far as radios are concerned until very recently. Sure Housing which was UHF anyway was just a matter of changing frequencies and that was done very quickly. Transit which was VHF on RR channels was a much bigger challenge and wasn't really done until this year. Sure they had some homemade BDA's at some of the bigger stations, but once a street cop went downstairs he was gone. EMS was the same way, we constantly had to be directed by the transit bureau dispatcher since we had no coverage downstairs.

Now the one thing that stands out in my mind about NYPD and FDNY is radio people run the systems not some bean counter. They have an in house commitee that looks at any new equipment and evaluates it and field tries it BEFORE they buy it. They don't just go by the manufacturer's claims, or recommendations. I remember when M tried to sell an 800 trunked system back when that was the hot thing. NYPD flatly turned it down plus I heard it couldn't handle the amount of radio traffic NYPD generates.

That's why this jerk doesn't stand a change messing with their radio system.

Status
Not open for further replies.