Oct 28 Drill

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
I saw this ad on a whim for people to play victims.

Does anyone know what agencies are involved or how large scale of an event this will be? This will make for some good listening!

http://www.wowt.com/community/events?c=y&cat=Community+Events
Volunteers Wanted for October Disaster Drill
Oct 28, 2006 various
United Way of the Midlands 1805 Harney Street Omaha, NE 68102
Omaha, Nebraska - Looking for a way to help our community prepare for future emergencies? Local agencies will conduct a disaster drill this fall, and they're looking for volunteers to assist. the drill will take place on Saturday, October 28, 2006. Participants must be age 19 and older; they will play the role of victims in a mock disaster.
Details about the disaster drill will be available as the October 28th exercise draws closer.

twister19

Yes. From what I hear it will be a huge drill. Everyone of a first responder type will be there. Others such as CERT, OCCP etc. might be on the sidelines. No word yet if there will be room for visitors or not. This is the word on the street. I could be wrong or things might change.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Ok so is this more of a Douglas County thing then? Any ideas on where it will be held? I imagine they'd be using a lot of interop TGIDs or event radios.

SCPD

QRT
Probably Common (C1-C4) if it is just Douglas County. If it is more plays they will use the Nationwide 800MHz mutual Aid, they use these when they do training with Sarpy county or Bellvue.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
One would think, I'm also guessing a lot of counties and agencies would be involved meaning patches, etc. It would be strange if such a large drill were going to go on and like Council Bluffs would pass at the opportunity.

SCPD

QRT
Even homeland security will be here for this drill. Unknown if they are just here to observe or to participate. It sounds like every first responder agency in the area will be envoled, every hospital, and even some feds.

twister19

the "BIG" drill

KG4WHM said:
Even homeland security will be here for this drill. Unknown if they are just here to observe or to participate. It sounds like every first responder agency in the area will be envoled, every hospital, and even some feds.

Yes this is going to be a big drill. Happens about once every 2-4 years (in cycles). Every department (or county agency) is suppose to drill once a year (whether small or large), and on top of that they are suppose to participate in some way with the "big" drills (or they dont get their grant money).

But, like I said it cycles and every cycle they change the requirements so I am not to sure as to what this years requirements are. I know they are leaning more to terroristic events.

red8

I hope that your drill goes better than the drill down here, we had a
drill on a mock hurricane and at the end of the first day one agency
picked up their marbles and said "Screw you guys, I'going home" due to the fact of the FEMA trailer park on that particular city to the north
of Baton Rouge. No one could decide what to do those Katrina survivors living in that trailerpark. In short it was the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing. Typical for Louisiana and the powers that be.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
My sources indicate Bellevue Fire will be having a fairly large drill Saturday, September 16 around 10am at the Bellevue Fire Training Center, 3200 Cornhusker Rd.

May make for some interesting listening.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
From what I understand they are going to using quite a few agencies and methods to talk. One thing I've heard is about packet and having this at hospitals and like the Red Cross the Douglas Co EMA office, and some mobile stations. Is it legal to monitor packet and what would a person need in order to do it cause this is digital right?

SCPD

QRT
The packet is run by ARES as a part of OMMRS. They have stations set up in every hospital, EOC, and 911 center (in the fire dispatch).
It is legal to monitor since it is an amateur radio service.
You will need a ham radio that has an output for packet data. Hook that up to a TCN (packet interface). Then hook it up to your computer and run a packet software.
Too much work just to find out patient info.
Have fun listening to the exercise. I won't be around for it.

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
Ah ok wasn't sure how that all worked out then.

Won't be around eh... as in you're going to be a victim for the drill and not able to listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.