Official BCD996T Post Release Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nydxa

Member
Joined
Mar 13, 2004
Messages
214
Reaction score
0
Location
Bergen County NJ
Importing 796 MEM files?

Guys, I have a question that I'm certain has been considered by many.
Currently, is there any easy method for importing data from a 796D "mem" file into the 996? I'm using Uniden's software that seems pretty capable once you get used to it. Is there a hidden import feature?

Thanks
 

rkdahl

Member
Joined
Jun 6, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
BCD996T AC adapter failure

Hi,
I just got my BCD996T today and plugged it in. After about 10 min the radio starts cycling on and off and then eventually dies with no screen or display. After trying this a couple of times I discovered that it appears the AC adapter is overheating and putting out incorrect voltage. It gets quite warm. I measured the DC power at the plug and with no load it's 18.55 VDC. Sounds pretty high to me.

I tried the scanner using the DC cord in my truck and it worked just fine. So it appears I am having a failure with the AC adapter. I saw one other post about this same issue. I'm curious if this is a failure point that needs to be looked at. I hate returning the scanner and everything just to swap out the stupid adapter. Any other suggestions? Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone else measured the non load voltage on their adapter output?

Thanks!
 
Last edited:

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,510
Reaction score
1,640
Location
Louisville, KY
is there any easy method for importing data from a 796D "mem" file into the 996?

Cut and paste is what I had to do when importing my 796D to the 396.
 

BigC801

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
May 15, 2003
Messages
774
Reaction score
51
Location
Kansas City
Well i got mine today, so far i like it except vhf sucks, and i keep picking up tv on uhf ch's. My 796 has no probs on the same ch's.
 
Last edited:

epbernstein

Member
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
301
Reaction score
0
Location
Boulder, CO
Mine arrived today, I had it up and running in a matter of minutes. The file transfer from the 396 worked flawlessly, it appears.

I already love it!
 

dr400

Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2006
Messages
103
Reaction score
0
I've had mine for a couple of days and I'm amazed at the sensitivity. On the supplied whip I'm hearing conventional (non-trunked VHF) stuff from as far as some of my other scanners using outdoor antennas. Have only had limited experience with trunking and one digital/analog Motorola syatem. Works great although I may try the AGC tweak mentioned several times. I have had some digital trasmissions start off loud.
 

dbrown2

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
Greer, SC
BCD996T or BC796D?

I have a Pro-90 Trunkmaster now and enjoy it. I would like a new scanner with computer control (not just backup and restore of freq.) I found on ebay a bc796d for 450.00 plus 10.00 s&h. I would then need to buy the ARC250 pro (I want to record voice to the HD) for 40.00 or so. I have a null modem cable that should work with the unit I hope ?

I have seen the bcd996t but it is 516.00 with s&h, plus it seems I need a USB cable for it @ 29.99. But it comes with free software from uniden to control the unit (right?) if so is it as good as what butel will make for the unit?

I really don't need GPS right now (don't have one), can't see me using 6000 channels or anything close to it (I live in Columbia, SC). Other then that is it worth the 60 or so bucks to go to the bcd996t or is the bc796d enough?

One thing I would like is a way to scan trunk and conventional at the same time. I also would like to have weather alerts while scanning. Can the BCD886T do that?


Any help would be great.

David
 

STiMULi

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
1
Location
Tucson, Arizona
dbrown2 said:
I have seen the bcd996t but it is 516.00 with s&h, plus it seems I need a USB cable for it @ 29.99. But it comes with free software from uniden to control the unit (right?) if so is it as good as what butel will make for the unit?


So many times in my job I deal with customers that fail to see thier own future. They end up letting todays budget control thier decisions when they need to look a couple of steps beyond the moment.

Will you never get a GPS? Ever?

Will you always be in Columbia, SC?

Do you travel?

Since I have never owned either before I can not say which is a better performing but I can tell you which has greater potential. :)
 

mharris

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Dec 19, 2002
Messages
403
Reaction score
161
Location
Bay Area, California
rkdahl said:
Hi,
I just got my BCD996T today and plugged it in. After about 10 min the radio starts cycling on and off and then eventually dies with no screen or display. After trying this a couple of times I discovered that it appears the AC adapter is overheating and putting out incorrect voltage. It gets quite warm. I measured the DC power at the plug and with no load it's 18.55 VDC. Sounds pretty high to me.

I tried the scanner using the DC cord in my truck and it worked just fine. So it appears I am having a failure with the AC adapter. I saw one other post about this same issue. I'm curious if this is a failure point that needs to be looked at. I hate returning the scanner and everything just to swap out the stupid adapter. Any other suggestions? Anyone else have this issue? Has anyone else measured the non load voltage on their adapter output?

Thanks!

This is the EXACT same thing that happened to me with the AC adapter (display cycling on and off). I sent Uniden an email about it. They have instructed me to fax them my sales reciept and the part number of the adapter. They will replace the adapter at no charge after recieving the fax. Until I recieve the new adapter, I will use the one from my BC898, as it works just fine. Take care!

Matt
 

WX5JCH

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Joined
Dec 7, 2004
Messages
937
Reaction score
2
Location
Elk City, Oklahoma
Well, conditions must have been just right today but I'm picking up VHF and 800 mhz trunking from well over 100 miles away on my new 996 this am. It seems to decode the cc's much better than any other scanner I've seen. This is on their indoor whip antenna.

Paul this is a Excellent radio!

Jim
 

MacombMonitor

Member
Joined
May 18, 2005
Messages
3,551
Reaction score
4
dbrown2 said:
I have a Pro-90 Trunkmaster now and enjoy it. I would like a new scanner with computer control (not just backup and restore of freq.) I found on ebay a bc796d for 450.00 plus 10.00 s&h. I would then need to buy the ARC250 pro (I want to record voice to the HD) for 40.00 or so. I have a null modem cable that should work with the unit I hope ?
David

A null modem cable will not work with the BC796D. You need a standard straight-threw RS232 serial cable with a DB9 male on one end, and a DB9 female on the other end. They are not very expensive, and are available at most computer stores, and numerous sites on-line.
 

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Apr 19, 2004
Messages
13,295
Reaction score
1,132
Location
Arlington, TX
Also, you do not need to buy a USB cable for the BCD996T unless you are planning to use it on a computer that does not have an RS232 serial port. The standard serial cable comes with it.
 

dbrown2

Member
Joined
Jun 4, 2006
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Location
Greer, SC
Order mine today

I just ordered mine today from www.usascan.com for 519.95 plus 2 day for 30.00 more. They report via phone it will be shipped today. From what I could tell I would have been very close to the same price if I had ordered the bc796d, plus the arc250, and cable for it. This way I will be looking towards my future and not be that far over budget.

David

Thanks for the help everyone.
 
Last edited:

ruarc

Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Left Coast
>Here is the procedure for tweaking AGC for P25 Reference Gain and P25 Res Time for the BCD996T.

OK, THIS is wierd.

I'm programming 2 996s (one is mine).

I did the adjustment on one radio, but CAN'T get the settings prompt to come up on the other one.

Tried repeatedly. Did it OK on my 396 on the first try, and on the other 996 on the third try.

Any suggestions, anyone??
 

sgfitzs

Member
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Messages
32
Reaction score
0
Absolutely love my BCD996T

All,

Purchased scanner from scannerworld last week ($540 inc shipping) and received four days later. So far, I absolutely love this radio. Strangely, my favorite feature is the channel alert. I no longer need to look down at the display when my local TGs tx. I replaced my old PRO-2026 in my 91 Integra. pictures below:
 

Attachments

  • DSC00041.JPG
    DSC00041.JPG
    138.6 KB · Views: 886
  • DSC00042.JPG
    DSC00042.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 889

ruarc

Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Left Coast
OK, never mind, I should have read ALL the thread first. Turned on Digital AGC, and now the settings window comes up fine!


One other thing, WHY did Uniden make the 'mode' in the programming software default to 'search' instead of 'scan'??


Stupid.
 

ruarc

Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Left Coast
> I know it might be a sore subject but partner up with Butel and make a killer Software

I had NO trouble setting up all the programming before I ever had a radio in my hands.

I like the Arc software, but I CAN'T afford to buy a new version for every radio I own, so I went with ScanControl instead except for the 996 for now. Not as easy to copy and paste, but it does ALL the Uniden radios, for the cost of ONE radio version of Arc.


My radios: Pro2006x2, BC235x4, BC245x4, BC895x5, BC780x2, BC785, BC246, BC396, BC996, Astro Spectra, STX800, MTX800, Kenwood TK-880x2, and a few I have stored just in case.
 
Last edited:

ofd8001

Member
Premium Subscriber
Joined
Feb 6, 2004
Messages
8,510
Reaction score
1,640
Location
Louisville, KY
I finally did some tinkering around the with USAD software. I like the 996 version a whole lot better than the 396.

I didn't use one potty word, obscenity or profanity while programming.

They need to give the software engineer a real big raise.
 

ruarc

Member
Joined
May 12, 2003
Messages
19
Reaction score
0
Location
Left Coast
OK, I asked this is a new message, but no good answer there, so I'll try again here..

WHAT are the TG restrictions in the 996?

The docs say 250 TGs per system, but nothing more.

The 396 only allowed 20 TGs per group, but is that the same in the 996,
and is there still a 20 groups per system restriction??
 

STiMULi

Member
Joined
Nov 14, 2004
Messages
1,566
Reaction score
1
Location
Tucson, Arizona
I had this BCD996T plugged in all night and it won't hold a charge! Everytime I unplug the power the scanner goes off!

J/K

Because I have not owned the 396 I am under a learning curve. I have found that there are many reasons why it won't scan right and all of them (so far) are operator errors.

This is undoubtably the most functional scanner I have ever owned. Too cool!!!

BTW that was my 12 hour review of which I have actually operated the scanner for 3 of them. Most of that was spent changing the color back and forth from Red to Green to see which one I like most :)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top