Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
What Software?

wesct said:
http://www.aorusa.com/ard25.html...with proper software (for government use only), it can decode encryption...but i didnt tell you that!...wesct
Sounds interesting, but...

Near the bottom of the ARD25 page:
Some words of caution - The ARD25 is not effective on systems that use encryption or digital modulation other than APCO Project 25. [bold added]

So will it or will it not?

To what software are you referring?

scannerfreak

Well Known Member
Database Admin
Let's remember this is the BCD996T thread, not the encryption software thread. Back on topic, Please :)

swest90

Sure it can. You just need to steer the radio to the proper channels. The device simply decodes the data. CAI (P25) is no different in analog or trunked.

And dont bother worrying about the encryption. You wont see the software unless you work with some three letter agencies.

But anyway we have hijacked this thread. Back on to the 996.

STiMULi

Bcd996t_100505.gif

:D

John_M

RADIOSCOUT Wrote:

hello all i'm excited about the new bcd-996t product, my only question is, will this scanner be able to moniter orange county public safety frequencies? if not, its a waiste of money.
i live in the buena park ca, area and i cant here any traffic from buena park p.d. or any p.d. agency for that matter.

will some one submit the true specs and capabilities of this product.

I've allready spent a lot of money on the 790-series and i hope that this product will produce good scanning results.

http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=TRSDB&sid=201

It looks like law enforcement is encrypted.

Last edited:

compubandit

Where is everyone?

This thread has seemed to slow down the past couple of days.... and where is UPMan?
Maybe checking in a bunch of BCD996Ts and getting them ready to ship out??? :)

safetyobc

compubandit said:
This thread has seemed to slow down the past couple of days.... and where is UPMan?
Maybe checking in a bunch of BCD996Ts and getting them ready to ship out??? :)

Some of us are trying to figure out what we can sell to buy one. LOL

rreed4

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully UPMan or someone in the know can answer this question.

When I get my 996 I would like to mount it in my car and have it turn on and off with the ignition. (I'm lazy and don't want to have to turn it on and off every time I get in and out of the car) I've had bad experiences with other scanners losing memory and channel lockouts by doing this.

I read in the 996 manual under "Power Related Issues" that you may lose settings such as backlight and screen color if not properly saved via the menu.

Do you know if the 996 would lose quick key lock outs, memory channels, or other settings by having it turn on and off with ignition?

Thank you.

jf222

settings

The manual notes that some variable setting are retained in memory when you turn the radio "off" using the volume control so that it will resume operation in the same way when turned back "on". This is not the case if power is lost when ignition controls it. Recommendation is that when changing these settings (by buttons on the radio) you then turn to power off with the volume control so that they are saved and will be retained when the ignition controls power in the future.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Two Power Leads

If it is like most in-dash car radios, there are two power leads. One is always hot with constant power (usually the red one) and the other is connected to an ingition power source (usually a yellow one), only hot when the ignition is on. This allows power to the radio to keep settings such as preset stations, time/clock settings, backlight, alarm, and other user settings, but also allows the radio to turn off when the ignition power is turned off and activation of automatic retracting antenna.

Now if the 996 has this, I do not know.

In my newer Ford car, when I turn off the ignition to the car, the radio turns off; however, I can turn the radio on with the ignition off and it will stay on for a preset time period up to one hour without the ignition on.

Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
A1: I am in Charlotte, NC for the rest of the week, so no updates until after Memorial Day.
A2: Frankly, I don't recall and am not where I can easily put my hands on the answer (see A1).

teebee

Is there or will there be a thread dedicated just for the UASD software for the 996.
I am starting to have questions for the UASD. Thanks

John_M

Will there be a post 996t release thread. Maybe it's a little too soon but I would like to hear what people are saying about there new radios.

scannerfreak

Well Known Member
Database Admin
John_M said:
Will there be a post 996t release thread. Maybe it's a little too soon but I would like to hear what people are saying about there new radios.

I'll start one right now..Closing This one

Status
Not open for further replies.