Official BCD996T Prerelease Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Easiest way would be to make a dupe of the 396's usd file and put it in the 996 UASD "system" directory. Then, open that file with BCD996T UASD and edit the site(s).

LauraQ

UPMan said:
Easiest way would be to make a dupe of the 396's usd file and put it in the 996 UASD "system" directory. Then, open that file with BCD996T UASD and edit the site(s).

Ah-ha! That's exactly what I'll do. Thank you!

STiMULi

UPMan said:

Will doing that correct issues with field differences between the 2 radio system files (396 and 996)?

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
UPMan said:
Sometimes, since I know how the scanner works, I "fill in the blanks" where info is missing.
That's why you never want the guy who wrote the software to write the user's manual. The software (or hardware) engineer knows the device too intimately to write about it from a newbie's perspective.

I'd like to get the wiki page updated to reflect the 10 most critical pieces of information a new user (or prospective user) needs to know. Any suggestions?
Someone mentioned a list of compatible GPS units, but that could be a very long list. Basically, you need a GPS that free runs with NMEA output and has a RS-232 serial connection with a DB-9 female connector, right?

As for other tips, RTFM. And once you've read the fine manual, go back and read it again. And then work your way into exploring the scanner's features. Program a conventional system, program a trunked system, program a digital system, program a system using the GPS features. I think trying to program the scanner with the killer system configuration for your use right out of the box is a recipe for frustration. Work your way up to it and build on what you learn along the way. I've had my 396 since November and I'm still learning it.

All in all, the 996 sounds like a great scanner. Remember the days when we all thought a Radio Shack Pro-2006 was the hottest thing around? Those days are long gone. However, since I'm a conservative guy, I'll wait. I bought my 396 after they had been on the market for about 6 months and I think I'll do the same with the 996. I'll let all of the early adopters find the quirks. Thanks, guys!

Bob...

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I have started the list of confirmed GPS and added them to the wiki. Yes, all you need is NMEA out with DB9.

One of the unfortunate truths with a scanner (or any product) this complex is that we cannot always anticipate all of the real world questions that come up while we are writing the O/M. So, having a living resource such as the Wiki is a great tool for supporting the community.

STiMULi

Questions I understand but may need clarification for new to GPS scanning users...

How do I use Location-Based (GPS) Scanning?

How are Non-Radio Location Based GPS Features used?

How do I use Quick Keys with Location-Based (GPS) Scanning?

Yes you can read the manual and yes there are examples but the selling point of this scanner is it's GPS features and some great explanation and examples are going to be needed to avoid numerous "how do I" threads.

Last edited:

epbernstein

k4rxr said:
That's why you never want the guy who wrote the software to write the user's manual. The software (or hardware) engineer knows the device too intimately to write about it from a newbie's perspective.

Someone mentioned a list of compatible GPS units, but that could be a very long list. Basically, you need a GPS that free runs with NMEA output and has a RS-232 serial connection with a DB-9 female connector, right?

As for other tips, RTFM. And once you've read the fine manual, go back and read it again. And then work your way into exploring the scanner's features. Program a conventional system, program a trunked system, program a digital system, program a system using the GPS features. I think trying to program the scanner with the killer system configuration for your use right out of the box is a recipe for frustration. Work your way up to it and build on what you learn along the way. I've had my 396 since November and I'm still learning it.

All in all, the 996 sounds like a great scanner. Remember the days when we all thought a Radio Shack Pro-2006 was the hottest thing around? Those days are long gone. However, since I'm a conservative guy, I'll wait. I bought my 396 after they had been on the market for about 6 months and I think I'll do the same with the 996. I'll let all of the early adopters find the quirks. Thanks, guys!

Bob...

Our pleasure! :p

teebee

Is the release still on target for the end of this week into next week. Is there a firm date to start shipping. Talk to a couple of dealers this week one said next week another said July or August.

rfaricy

Those dealers probably aren't getting the first shipment, or already have all of their first shipment spoken for.

I've already got myself on the list for one from the first shipment from Glenn @ Scanners Unlimited. So I'm good to go. :eek:)

RADIOSCOUT

hello all i'm excited about the new bcd-996t product, my only question is, will this scanner be able to moniter orange county public safety frequencies? if not, its a waiste of money.
i live in the buena park ca, area and i cant here any traffic from buena park p.d. or any p.d. agency for that matter.

will some one submit the true specs and capabilities of this product.

I've allready spent a lot of money on the 790-series and i hope that this product will produce good scanning results.

scannerfreak

Database Admin
RADIOSCOUT said:
hello all i'm excited about the new bcd-996t product, my only question is, will this scanner be able to moniter orange county public safety frequencies? if not, its a waiste of money.

There will never, ever, be a scanner that can decode encryption. Sorry:)

STiMULi

And they will take it away from you and send you to jail. You will be poor from the fines when you get out too.

If Bill Cheek were around he would have a thing or two to tell you :)

Last edited:

STiMULi

RADIOSCOUT said:

Your money.

For my money this scanner will be like money in the bank! It will replace 2 scanners that I have in the vehicle and is more functional that a little bit. :)

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
Hah! But Would They Get Caught?

STiMULi said:
And they will take it away from you and send you to jail. You will be poor from the fines when you get out too.
LOL. Someone smart enough to create such a device should be smart enough not to get caught using it...or maybe not - to smart for their britches. What about getting the actual radio that is used by the agency you want to hear that is programed properly?

:lol:

Last edited:

wesct

teebee said:
Is the release still on target for the end of this week into next week. Is there a firm date to start shipping. Talk to a couple of dealers this week one said next week another said July or August.

uniden should be shipping real soon. probably the last day of the month

wesct

Status
Not open for further replies.