Official Butel ARC-500 Software Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

I'm sure this has been discussed numerous times before but I couldn't find any posts...is there any way to use Arc500 on a Mac? Or is there programming software that can? I have a GRE PSR-500. Thanks!

Not directly, although you can use one of the various ways to run Windows on your Mac hardware to use the software. At this point in time the available software to program the PSR-500 is pretty much limited to Windows. The same can be said for any current scanner, not just the PSR-500. Folks that prefer Mac or Linux are pretty much stuck running Windows either directly or virtually when programming their scanners using software.

radioguyWNC

limit on number of ARC PRO TGs?

I am running ARC500 Pro (vers 1.14 build 3) and tried to download my state-wide trunked system (NC VIPER) from radio ref. As the data downloads into the RR Import window, it shows 2700-some TGs. When I hit import, it only takes about 1800 of the TGs. When I try to manually add a new Object at this point, nothing happens. Is there some limit on the number of objects you can have in the ARC software? Is there any way around this? I tried downloading the TGs from RR to a spreadsheet and then copy/paste into ARC500 and hit the same limit on the number of objects/TGs.

DonS

The scanner has 1852 "blocks". Each stored object takes one or more blocks:
* CONV (conventional channel): 1 block
* TGRP (talkgroup): 1 block
* SRCH (search object): 2 blocks
* SWPR (spectrum sweeper / signal stalker object): 2 blocks
* TSYS - P25 or MOT: 10 blocks
* TSYS - EDACS or LTR: 4 blocks

These 1852 blocks can be used in any combination of objects. For example, you could have:
* 1852 CONV
* 1 TSYS(P25) and 1842 TGRP
* 1 TSYS(EDACS), 1200 TGRP, and 648 CONV
* 2 TSYS(P25), 1 TSYS(EDACS), 1800 TGRP, and 28 CONV
etc.

The 1852 number is a hard limit in the scanner. There is no way to program more objects into a single "configuration" (main memory or V-Scanner folder).

radioguyWNC

Object Limit

thanks for the detailed explanation. Seems like a limitation they should try to overcome in a future version of the scanner. I'm sure there are other large statewide systems with more than 1800 TGs.

The scanner has 1852 "blocks". Each stored object takes one or more blocks:
* CONV (conventional channel): 1 block
* TGRP (talkgroup): 1 block
* SRCH (search object): 2 blocks
* SWPR (spectrum sweeper / signal stalker object): 2 blocks
* TSYS - P25 or MOT: 10 blocks
* TSYS - EDACS or LTR: 4 blocks

These 1852 blocks can be used in any combination of objects. For example, you could have:
* 1852 CONV
* 1 TSYS(P25) and 1842 TGRP
* 1 TSYS(EDACS), 1200 TGRP, and 648 CONV
* 2 TSYS(P25), 1 TSYS(EDACS), 1800 TGRP, and 28 CONV
etc.

The 1852 number is a hard limit in the scanner. There is no way to program more objects into a single "configuration" (main memory or V-Scanner folder).

DonS

thanks for the detailed explanation. Seems like a limitation they should try to overcome in a future version of the scanner. I'm sure there are other large statewide systems with more than 1800 TGs.

They did. The PSR-800 is not limited by built-in hardware, and you can program as many objects as you wish.

RomeRon

Recorder

Would you tell me what the Silence Detect slidder is for?
Should I be able to hear the audio while recording, the stop player is showing but hear no audio, one other thing, the recorder stops working and I get a error message that ARC 500 has stopped working windows is looking for a soulation then it closes ARC 500.
Thanks

Butelsoftware

Database Admin
The silence detect sets the threshold for stopping recording during a silence, this is for the continuous files.
Whether you hear audio thru the PC depends on the windows settings. If there is a problem with the recorder verify the audio driver is up to date.

Gommert
Butel Software

jwlehman

Premium Subscriber
Running ARC-XT Pro Version 1.8 Build 4 on a Windows 8 laptop and it runs perfectly! Have had my BCD996XT for 3 weeks, and ARC-XT Pro makes it a joy to program and use. While I understand the purists who might like to manually program their radios, I simply don't have the patience for it.

Butel puts out a great product! The only issue I've experienced is that the comm port connection seems to get lost and I have to reestablish the connection. That may be a Win 8 issue...I really enjoy leaving the VC up on my laptop minimized, while still being able to see the small display.

Keep up the good work!!

trooperdude

Database Admin
Online Butel tutorials ??

Anyone made a youtube video on how to navigate the Butel programming software?

I have a PSR800 and that's pretty straightforward.

Haven't used any Butel stuff in several years and I'm finding it quite confusing.

max2248

Premium Subscriber
ARC500pro and vir control

seem to having a problem with ARC500pro and the virtual control. When I use virtual control the scanner will stop on a signal as it should, but I’ll only get 1 or 2 words from the conversation then a beep then the scanner resumes scanning. Here's what I did to try to solves the problem, uninstalled arcpro, did a cold boot up, cleaned the registry, and cold booted again. I then reinstalled arc500pro and got the same results. The scanner will stop on a hit, get 2 words of conversation then a beep and the scanner will resume scanning. If I turn off the virtual control the scanner works fine. I can upload/download to and from the scanner just fine. I have returned the scanner and gotten a new one and still have the same problem. Now here's what baffles me if I uninstall arc500pro and install arc500 demo virtual control works like a champ. Can anyone help me out as the virtual control is what I wanted most out of the program because I had bought this scanner mainly to put up on RR.

max2248

Premium Subscriber
ARC500pro

seem to having a problem with ARC500pro and the virtual control. When I use virtual control the scanner will stop on a signal as it should, but I’ll only get 1 or 2 words from the conversation then a beep then the scanner resumes scanning. Here's what I did to try to solves the problem, uninstalled arcpro, did a cold boot up, cleaned the registry, and cold booted again. I then reinstalled arc500pro and got the same results. The scanner will stop on a hit, get 2 words of conversation then a beep and the scanner will resume scanning. If I turn off the virtual control the scanner works fine. I can upload/download to and from the scanner just fine. I have returned the scanner and gotten a new one and still have the same problem. Now here's what baffles me if I uninstall arc500pro and install arc500 demo virtual control works like a champ. Can anyone help me out as the virtual control is what I wanted most out of the program because I had bought this scanner mainly to put up on RR.

blangell

Max I believe your problem might be right here, uncheck these boxes. Although I can't get mine to beep with them checked.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 1,219
Last edited:

max2248

Premium Subscriber
Thank You

My man your are brilliant have no idea how that option became checked but it's running fine now. Thank you.

dlnorth

I'm having major problems with PRO. The software works fine until I activate recording. Then within 10 minutes it crashes. It points to ntdll.dll. I'm not getting any help from butel at all, other than they don't offer refunds. I would like to use it for the logging and recording functions, but it just doesn't work. I have an HP 8200 Elite with 16 gigs of hp ram, fresh install of Windows 7 Pro x64. Nothing else crashes except this program while recording. I've done all the normal troubleshooting, resolutions, etc. Still same problem. I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any idea on how I can fix this or what is wrong? I'm an IT guy in charge of 30plus stores.. normally I can fix stuff.. but this thing keeps crashing. I've even did the compatibility setting.. this time saying it needs admin rights and ran under Windows 98.

Did you ever get any help from Butel on this or figure out what was causing the problem? I just bought the software and am having the exact same error message. The only advice I was given was to make sure my audio drivers are up to date and that all windows updates have been installed, both have been done, yet the problem persists.

layer9corp

Butel claims my Pro 96 doesn't support trunking

I just bought the Butel software thinking it would be nice to save time with it. I normally use Scancat lite, but since Radio Reference stopped supporting it I have to manually copy and paste the frequencies, etc into it.

So I thought it would be nice to have the Butel which Radio Reference recommends as being able to automatically program your radio. My Radio Shack Pro 96 is a Digital Trunking APCO 25\GE\EDACS scanner. Yet when I try to program in the local trunked system for my area, (which isn't even digital) it tells me that the "Trunk type is not supported by your model radio", which is of course not accurate. I can in fact program it in using ScanCat Lite with no problem, other than I have to do it manually. And the exact same system I have programmed into my Radio Shack Pro 95 Analog scanner. So why would this software, this Butel that I just paid 30 bucks for tell me my Radio Shack Pro 96 doesn't support this analog trunked system? It does let me automatically program in from Radio Reference the State Police APCO 25 system although nothing comes over it so it apparently didn't program it too well. It does it, but then doesn't work.

So now 30 bucks down the drain later, I have this Butel software which is basically worthless and I'm back to programming my scanner the old way (that works) using Scancat Lite. So did I just learn a 30 dollar lesson about Butel software? Or am I missing something here?

Paco-Jerte

You Member, Member!
I just bought the Butel software thinking it would be nice to save time with it. I normally use Scancat lite, but since Radio Reference stopped supporting it I have to manually copy and paste the frequencies, etc into it.

So I thought it would be nice to have the Butel which Radio Reference recommends as being able to automatically program your radio. My Radio Shack Pro 96 is a Digital Trunking APCO 25\GE\EDACS scanner. Yet when I try to program in the local trunked system for my area, (which isn't even digital) it tells me that the "Trunk type is not supported by your model radio", which is of course not accurate. I can in fact program it in using ScanCat Lite with no problem, other than I have to do it manually. And the exact same system I have programmed into my Radio Shack Pro 95 Analog scanner. So why would this software, this Butel that I just paid 30 bucks for tell me my Radio Shack Pro 96 doesn't support this analog trunked system? It does let me automatically program in from Radio Reference the State Police APCO 25 system although nothing comes over it so it apparently didn't program it too well. It does it, but then doesn't work.

So now 30 bucks down the drain later, I have this Butel software which is basically worthless and I'm back to programming my scanner the old way (that works) using Scancat Lite. So did I just learn a 30 dollar lesson about Butel software? Or am I missing something here?

Did u buy ARC96 or ARC500??

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2

layer9corp

Hmm, maybe I'm in the wrong thread. I bought ARC96. Also I think I discovered the issue. There is a LTR Trunked system in the group and apparently the PRO 96 according to the RR Wiki, doesn't support LTR. Which is odd because I get all the frequencies fine if I manually program them in. But it says its an "LTR Standard" system so don't know. Maybe they also echo the broadcasts over some other standard system, not sure.

Anyway looks like its time to sell the PRO 96 and get a PRO 106 or a Bearcat that supports the LTR. But for some reason the APCO 25 isn't working with the Butel. I don't seem to pick anything up in the banks I've programmed with the Statewide STARS system (APCO 25). I use the auto program feature in ARC96 and it populates the fields but for MODE it gives "MOT" (motorola) and not the P25 (APCO 25) which is what STARS is. So I'm not sure why it does that. I've tried changing the MODE manually to P25 but it doesn't seem to matter. Still pick up nothing on the State.

Last edited:

Blindman

Premium Subscriber
Not directly, although you can use one of the various ways to run Windows on your Mac hardware to use the software. At this point in time the available software to program the PSR-500 is pretty much limited to Windows. The same can be said for any current scanner, not just the PSR-500. Folks that prefer Mac or Linux are pretty much stuck running Windows either directly or virtually when programming their scanners using software.

Not to put too fine a point on this, but it's kinda stupid to alienate users this way in favor of the almighty dollar. I spose if you're lucky it may run under wine, but don't count on it

Status
Not open for further replies.