Oh where oh where have the printed radio magazines gone? Oh where oh where could they be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WA8ZTZ

Lots of car mags are gone as well... Car Craft, Rod & Custom, Hot Rod Deluxe, JP, Mopar Muscle, High Performance Pontiac, Muscle Car Review...
sad to see them go, end of an era that will never return.

VK3RX

Thaumaturge
Premium Subscriber
I get a number of printed magazines (QST, RADCOM etc.) that are also available in electronic form.

I find that I read them more thoroughly than the electronic-only types. Up to a few weeks the printed types sit on the desk or coffee table and get picked up occasionally when nothing is happening e.g. ad break on TV. The electronic types I tend to go through on receipt, then rarely look at again.

I don't mind the ads. Good to see what gear is around.

When finished with the individual mags I take them to the local radio club and they get snapped up there.

GB46

I don't mind the ads. Good to see what gear is around.
I don't mind the ads either, provided that they are relevant to the content, such as radio gear ads on RadioReference.com's main page. Ads that are totally irrelevant and distract me from the content, however, are unacceptable click bait, especially if they are animated, or cover the whole page, like I've seen with some ads. The latter type come up without clicking anything, and don't disappear unless you click their close buttons, which could be fake and lead to malware. Floaters are another annoyance. On sites like that I can disable JavaScript, but that often disables the site itself, in which case I stop visiting it altogether.

n5ims

What happened to printed magazines you ask. According to the ARRL, they have been having severe issues getting their QST printed and mailed to their subscribers on time. The USPS has slowed down deliveries and increased costs for the last year or so and starting with the current issue, they are having serious issues getting the proper paper to print on. When mine arrived, it was obvious that the paper wasn't nearly as good as in the past. For pages that have large dark areas (generally a picture) it's easy to see that dark area while reading the print on other side.

May 2022 QST Paper – ARRL New England Division

n2pqq

Premium Subscriber
If you don't mind paying for postage there are a couple of UK magazines you can order .

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
It's sad that the postage is more than the magazine and the exchange rate brings it to $15.63. Still, I'm going to keep an eye on this magazine, they may have an issue that "calls to me"in the near future.

001-April-Front-1.jpg Mag.PNG

Boombox

The decline of SW broadcasting also contributed. During the first Gulf War in 1991, I worked with a guy who got a Grundig just to hear the BBC on SW. The idea of "World Band Radio" was a great promotional tool for SWBC, and I'm sure the SW and DX magazines benefitted. But then the big guns began to go off the air, and that reduced what the magazines could talk about. Most newbies can't wrap their head around STANAG or RTTY or digital modes, they want to hear foreign countries' broadcasts.

Something, of course, that can now be done online. Even in 2002 you could bypass the foreign SW broadcasters' websites and hear foreign FM stations, and completely bypass the SWBC 'middleman'.

Either way, the era of the paper magazine and paper book is slowly coming to a close. On Amazon or other online book retailers, an eBook may cost as little as $1.99 or $2.99 -- the paperback version will be at least 3-4 dollars more than that just because of the publishing costs.

Airboss

Silent Key
Oh yeah, one late comment, I considered getting the my April TSM printed, but damn, it's a little rich for my blood.

View attachment 119792
Looks like to me you just answered your own question. The cost to print those magazines to a niche market such as radio hobbyist (the three Ps printing, paper, and postage) is the reason that the radio hobby magazines left and more books are going electronic. It is the reason the World Radio TV Handbook has published its last print edition. IMonitor covered it pretty well.

+ Printing cost
+ Paper & ink cost
+ Mailing & distribution cost
+ Not enough subscribers
+Not enough advertisers

I have first hand knowledge of these things which is the reason we publish all of our radio hobby books exclusively in the electronic medium. The cost to publish our flagship publication the Global Radio Guide at 1005 pages (last edition) in paper would be somewhere north of $100 on demand. We give it to you electronic format for $8.99. Sorry OM, it is the sign of the times.

GB46

Most newbies can't wrap their head around STANAG or RTTY or digital modes, they want to hear foreign countries' broadcasts.
Some of us oldies, too, because the same goes for me after nearly 65 years of shortwave listening. I monitor some digital utilities in an effort to keep my interest in shortwave alive, but the content can get pretty boring after a while.

Something, of course, that can now be done online. Even in 2002 you could bypass the foreign SW broadcasters' websites and hear foreign FM stations, and completely bypass the SWBC 'middleman'.
Yes, that's what I've had to do, but solely for the music. The discussions are either on subjects I don't care about, or simply in a language I don't understand.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
I keep meaning to order the Global Radio Guide and was going to wait for spring issue - but I think I will get this one and the upcoming one!

Thanks Larry it's a good price

Omega-TI

Ω
Premium Subscriber
I keep meaning to order the Global Radio Guide and was going to wait for spring issue - but I think I will get this one and the upcoming one!

Thanks Larry it's a good price

I was considering getting a copy for myself, but it apparently only comes in Kindle format. I don't own a Kindle.

KindleOnly.PNG

Airboss

Silent Key
You do not need a Kindle - Any Laptop - Desktop or Tablet can have the Kindle App.
I rarely use my Kindle except when reading outdoors, mostly use a SurfaceGO (Laptop) or my Phone
Darn took away my thunder. There are "free" Kindle readers for any platform you can think of. That is why we chose Kindle Direct over any of the other online e-publishers. The new Summer 2022 GRG will be available on May 5, 2022. More details on our company website at https://www.teakpublishing.com/.

W8WCA

Premium Subscriber
Darn took away my thunder. There are "free" Kindle readers for any platform you can think of. That is why we chose Kindle Direct over any of the other online e-publishers. The new Summer 2022 GRG will be available on May 5, 2022. More details on our company website at https://www.teakpublishing.com/.
Well to make up - I ordered the Winter one!
And Next month I will get the other!
Thanks for your long time support of the Hobby!

Status
Not open for further replies.