Ohio Marcs question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacenerd

Premium Subscriber
I just purchased a Whistler WS 1040 and still learning. A couple questions.
1. When listening to Ohio Marcs which is Project 25 Phase 1 75% of the transmission comes in very clear 25% of the time it is garbled. Is there a setting I need to change, if so where is that setting?
2. Can someone explain a little better how to set up Skywarn?

Thanks,
Spacenerd

tvengr

Well Known Member
What programming software are you using? You can try turning the SuperTrack decoding algorithm on and off to see which works best. I usually have better luck with it on. You can also turn off the digital AGC. The AGC action can increase garbled audio when you have simulcast distortion. Another thing to try is turn on the attenuator.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
not much you can do about simulcast distortion....maybe try a yagi antenna, or buy a SDS 100 or 200

spacenerd

Premium Subscriber
What programming software are you using? You can try turning the SuperTrack decoding algorithm on and off to see which works best. I usually have better luck with it on. You can also turn off the digital AGC. The AGC action can increase garbled audio when you have simulcast distortion. Another thing to try is turn on the attenuator.
I am using PSREdit500. Is there one better you would recommend?

tvengr

Well Known Member
I use ARC500, but that will not make any difference how well your scanner will receive the system. The Uniden SDS100 and SDS200 will not have any problems with the MARCS system.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
For what it's worth..My SDS 100 and 200 work GREAT on Ohio MARCS

jdolina

Premium Subscriber
You may want to move your question to the Ohio forum. What sites are you trying to use not all are simulcast.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If the OP is in Wapak as his profile says, there is only 1 site in Auglaize county, not simulcast. If he has the correct site.

I have no clue how you program a Whistler.

Reactions: HWG

CycleSycho

:( Never ceases to amaze me when some members tout brands even though they know not what exactly the question(s)/problem(s)s is/are. :(

:) Kinda like: :)

FITNESS PROGRAM. Everyone here gets enough exercise:

1) Jumping to conclusions.
2) Flying off the handle.
3) Carrying things too far.
4) Dodging responsibilities and
5) Pushing their luck.

:) It is so entertaining reading posts and then seeing some of the replies to questions/issues posted... Eventually the help provided by actual fixes/suggestions are a benefit to all (when personal preferences are removed from the arena). :)

:) I have no answer to the issue at hand, just an observation not needing a reply (although some may feel the urge to comment?). Have a Blessed Day, and please be careful in this virus crisis! :)

Daleb49

Premium Subscriber
I just read a post where a user said with his TRX he not receiving anything at all on a couple of things he has programmed and the next user responded oh you have simulcast! If he isn't receiving anything how could it be a simulcast problem? I could see if he said he getting garbled transmissions now you have simulcast. It's amazing how like you said people jump on things.

beischel

The Ohio MARCs system is a simulcast system. Whistler scanners are horrible with the Ohio MARCs system wherever you live. Heck, I live in Cincinnati and my TRX-2 cannot even receive the new Northern Kentucky P25 Phase II system. I have had several GRE, RS and Whistler scanners and they are ALL horrible with the Ohio MARCs system. The best and only scanners that will work on the MARCs and the new NKY P25 systems are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. Both of those scanners are amazing with the P25 simulcast systems; I rarely get broken audio. The TRX-2 does receive DMR and NXDN very well and of course conventional FM. My last remaining Whistler scanner is now only used to receive DMR, NXDN, Aircraft AM and conventional FM. I wish Whistler would come out with a new SDR based scanner like Uniden, but it appears that they cancelled the project. Too bad.

redbeard

OH, PA, WV Regional Admin
Database Admin
The Ohio MARCs system is a simulcast system.
Ohio MARCS-IP is a statewide system of many sites, only some of which are simulcast. The majority are standalone sites. Most of the simulcast sites are where a city or county has partnered with MARCS and all of the towers within that locality belong to a single simulcast 'site.'

Nasby

Ohio MARCS-IP is a statewide system of many sites, only some of which are simulcast. The majority are standalone sites. Most of the simulcast sites are where a city or county has partnered with MARCS and all of the towers within that locality belong to a single simulcast 'site.'

Correct! I live in an area where my TRX-1 receives the MARCS standalone sites perfectly!

beischel

All sites are simulcast. For example, if any police agency is using the Pursuit TG, it is simulcasted throughout the entire state. Your county may only have one site, but that does not mean your county's traffic is not being simulcasted in an adjacent county. If the sites are spread far enough, you may not have the simulcast decoding issue causing garbled audio. Good for you. However you will never or almost never have issues with the SDS100 or SDS200. Why take a chance? In Ohio, the best scanner for MARCS is the SDS models from Uniden.

Nasby

All sites are simulcast. For example, if any police agency is using the Pursuit TG, it is simulcasted throughout the entire state. Your county may only have one site, but that does not mean your county's traffic is not being simulcasted in an adjacent county. If the sites are spread far enough, you may not have the simulcast decoding issue causing garbled audio. Good for you. However you will never or almost never have issues with the SDS100 or SDS200. Why take a chance? In Ohio, the best scanner for MARCS is the SDS models from Uniden.

Oh my. Please read up on how the Ohio MARCS system works and the meaning of a Simulcast System. This post is full of inaccuracies.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
It looks like the term simulcast and multi-cast has been used incorrectly. The two are misused quite frequently. Simulcast sites ALL have the same frequencies, control channels and talk groups. They all transmit simultaneously on all frequencies. Multi- cast sites ALL have different frequencies (unless they are far enough apart for frequency re-use). Multi-cast sites may (or may not) carry all of the talk groups but on different frequencies. Simulcast decoding problems only occur when multiple sites transmit the same information on the same frequencies at the same time (simultaneously).
BB

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
To add to the above...
Simulcast "sites" are sometimes refered to as a simulcast "cell". A cell can consist of two or more individual "sites" (locations). A System may contain a mixture of stand-alone sites and simulcast "cells" (sites). As mentioned these simulcast cells are usually found in metropolitan areas. They may be a part of a larger regional or statewide system.
BB

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
The Ohio MARCs system is a simulcast system. Whistler scanners are horrible with the Ohio MARCs system wherever you live. Heck, I live in Cincinnati and my TRX-2 cannot even receive the new Northern Kentucky P25 Phase II system. I have had several GRE, RS and Whistler scanners and they are ALL horrible with the Ohio MARCs system. The best and only scanners that will work on the MARCs and the new NKY P25 systems are the Uniden SDS100 and SDS200. Both of those scanners are amazing with the P25 simulcast systems; I rarely get broken audio. The TRX-2 does receive DMR and NXDN very well and of course conventional FM. My last remaining Whistler scanner is now only used to receive DMR, NXDN, Aircraft AM and conventional FM. I wish Whistler would come out with a new SDR based scanner like Uniden, but it appears that they cancelled the project. Too bad.

Ohio MARCS is not a simulcast system. Some individual sites (mostly in metropolitan areas including the Cincinnati-Dayton-Troy metroplex) are simulcast, but in Wapakoneta the only site is a stand-alone as are most MARCS sites, which Whistler scanners should work well on.

Also not correct. The Pursuit talkgroups, like all other talkgroups, will only appear on sites where someone on the talkgroup in use is affiliated to that specific site. Simulcast refers to the same transmission being broadcast from multiple towers on the same frequency at the same time; those towers are part of a single site. When broadcast from multiple sites on different frequencies (the majority of MARCS) it's called Multicast, and that won't cause the interference issue you get with Simulcast.

Sorry you've had issues with Whistler scanners, but your county does use a simulcast site and making a major generalization as you have is unfair and misleading. I'm south of Columbus and my TRX-1 and PSR-500 work just fine where I live, surrounded by stand-alone (non-simulcast) sites. My scanner feed uses a PSR-600 and it's crystal clear.

To the OP: Check the programming of your radio to make sure you're only monitoring the Wapak site; it's possible your radio may have more than one site programmed and can't receive the more distant site very well. If you're right in Wapak, you should be able to receive that site quite well. It's also possible that the garbled transmissions you're hearing are the person on the other end being in an area of sketchy coverage and they are the one who is actually garbled; I hear that at home from time to time, usually when someone is indoors in a pretty rural area.

Last edited:

spacenerd

Premium Subscriber
Ohio MARCS is not a simulcast system. Some individual sites (mostly in metropolitan areas including the Cincinnati-Dayton-Troy metroplex) are simulcast, but in Wapakoneta the only site is a stand-alone as are most MARCS sites, which Whistler scanners should work well on.

Also not correct. The Pursuit talkgroups, like all other talkgroups, will only appear on sites where someone on the talkgroup in use is affiliated to that specific site. Simulcast refers to the same transmission being broadcast from multiple towers on the same frequency at the same time; those towers are part of a single site. When broadcast from multiple sites on different frequencies (the majority of MARCS) it's called Multicast, and that won't cause the interference issue you get with Simulcast.

Sorry you've had issues with Whistler scanners, but your county does use a simulcast site and making a major generalization as you have is unfair and misleading. I'm south of Columbus and my TRX-1 and PSR-500 work just fine where I live, surrounded by stand-alone (non-simulcast) sites. My scanner feed uses a PSR-600 and it's crystal clear.

To the OP: Check the programming of your radio to make sure you're only monitoring the Wapak site; it's possible your radio may have more than one site programmed and can't receive the more distant site very well. If you're right in Wapak, you should be able to receive that site quite well. It's also possible that the garbled transmissions you're hearing are the person on the other end being in an area of sketchy coverage and they are the one who is actually garbled; I hear that at home from time to time, usually when someone is indoors in a pretty rural area.
Thanks for the info. After some research I have found only one talkgroup is causing the issue 54786 ( Sheriff Dispatch and very active) and you could be correct dispatch is fine but the mobile is mostly garbled on my Whistler scanner. That being said I pick up OSP Dispatch and mobile just fine and it comes in just fine on my Uniden BCD536HP. Still looking for an answer.
Spacenerd

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.