Old Andrews CP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Andrews AFB used to use 141.550 AM mode as their VHF CP (Command Post) channel but not heard Base on there for a long time
and their latest USAF NOTAM doesn't even list a VHF CP freq.
However recently up here in Northeast Maryland have been getting very strong occasional P-25 type audio ENC FM Coms on that same freq 141.550.
Was wondering who is using that freq now and if anyone else has heard it in the Maryland area.

jkahn

Very good looking Member
Premium Subscriber
Per Radio Reference, that frequency is used by Andrews AFB Special Air Mission (SAM) Command Post ("Griffin") with CSQ and by
US Coast Guard nationwide VHF USCG NET 106 with 293 NAC

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Per Radio Reference, that frequency is used by Andrews AFB Special Air Mission (SAM) Command Post ("Griffin") with CSQ and by
US Coast Guard nationwide VHF USCG NET 106 with 293 NAC
Andrews used to be.. Not anymore hence my post :)
Coast Guard use P-25 type coms? Maybe Im hearing C+D Canal CG traffic which is close by.
It is rather sporadic and not busy.. Maybe Army Corp engineers on that freq now?
Could be Rail bridge operator with Army Corp Canal coms.. Moving train bridge operator is manned 24/7
over the canal and uses VHF Marine 13 with shipping and 160.800 with Norfolk southern trains.
Talked to one of those operators a while back and he says Canal shipping gets right of way since Federal Army Corp runs the Canal
and any trains have to stop and wait for ship traffic.. Easier to stop a train than large Canal moving ship anyway :)
I used to monitor Army Corp years ago I think were down on 163.000 but can't quite remember.. Haven't heard them
in a long long while. Maybe 141.550 is new digital Fed freq for Army Corp of Engineers Chesapeake City or just some passing CG vessels?
CG Group Baltimore has repeater in Ches City normally on 156.800,Maybe they have a digital repeater as well?

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
The CG hasn't been noted to use CG-106 in this area. They have been using CG-111 162.325 or CG-112 163.050 in Sector Maryland National Capital Region which covers this area.

Sector Delaware Bay is linked below.

Last edited:

Mark

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Hill for CG info.. Yeah this 141.550 FM P-25 just started noticing a few weeks ago since programmed long time into my old Air scanner.
Real strong signal here.. Also you are correct they don't call local Canal repeater CG Baltimore anymore since switching to CG Maryland National Capitol callsign a while back.. Took me a while to figure out that name change :)

Last edited:

hill

Premium Subscriber
I guess anything is possible on using an extra CG Frequency.

The local CG small boats would only be up in C and D Canal if something was going on in it like an accident or pollution spill.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
I guess anything is possible on using an extra CG Frequency.

The local CG small boats would only be up in C and D Canal if something was going on in it like an accident or pollution spill.
Yeah this time of year CG is rare up here.. Was thinking maybe local Army Corp station in Ches city cleared off 163.000
to a new freq,, When 141.550 FM pops up on my old BC785D scanner I get a P25 symbol plus strong garbled voice coms.
Like I say not very frequent but am not home during day to monitor.

hill

Premium Subscriber
Anything is possible maybe a cutter is using CG-106 as an onboard channel. This is time of year when the CG changes out buoys, so the bigger lighted ones don't get destroyed if we have any ice.

There are two buoy tenders that could be in the area. Cutter James Rankin in Sector MD NCR and think it's the Cutter William Tate (think that is the one in Sector Delaware Bay). You may be able to find there positions by looking online for AIS positions when you hear this signal. I am most likely to far South in Middle River.

Hope that helps.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
BTW yes, USCG went to standard being P25 on the CG nets a number of years ago, and went secure standard a little more recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.