OmniX Antenna in Attic

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
One thing I am a little worried about is lossing HF for my R8500. The discone works fairly well picking up HF. Not quite as good as my R75 on a wire though. Guess we will see when it comes in.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Won't be here until next tuesday. That sucks. Just hope my coax end matches the Omni X. Currently have a Diamond D3000N which both have N connector but cant remember if the D3000N has male or female end.

Ubbe

I haven't seen any base antenna that has a male connector. Portable radio antennas can have all kinds of male, female and inverted connectors.

/Ubbe

rbritton1201

Captain1201
Since mine is in the attic, and not susceptible to the effects of the weather, I just used a "N" style to SO-239 barrel connector to transition it from the factory supplied "N" connector, so I could more easily connect up using coax that already has SO-239/PL259 connectors preinstalled on each respective end of the coax. However, if installing the antenna outside, an "N" connector is superior with respect to weather resistance.

...Just hope my coax end matches the Omni X. Currently have a Diamond D3000N which both have N connector but cant remember if the D3000N has male or female end.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
One thing I am a little worried about is lossing HF for my R8500. The discone works fairly well picking up HF. Not quite as good as my R75 on a wire though. Guess we will see when it comes in.
Multi Band-Wide Coverage: The OmniX was specifically designed for scanner radio use and tuned to popular commercial and civil service bands. Elements are specifically tuned for 118-137 MHz, 148-175 MHz and 225-900 MHz, but other bands can be received as well.

How low in Hf do you listen? Let us know how it performs there and overall.

Just hope my coax end matches the Omni X. Currently have a Diamond D3000N which both have N connector but cant remember if the D3000N has male or female end.

High Quality N Connector: Instead of the usual UHF connector that's included with most antennas, this antenna includes a 50 ohm female N connector, on the end of a small cable pigtail.

Al1009

Came upon this thread and interested in this to replace my Diamond D130NJ discone which isn't quite cutting it. Gained a little distance with it but hoping for more. I would put it outdoors about 30ft high with LMR400 with N connector.

Mostly want it for 450 to 512 range but 800 would be a bonus, the Diamond discone is terrible for for the 800.

Did this exceed your expectations or would it be wash?

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
I haven't seen any base antenna that has a male connector. Portable radio antennas can have all kinds of male, female and inverted connectors.

/Ubbe
Thanks Ubbe. I know a few frequencies that are hard listening too to test against the omni x. I'll post my results after I get the antenna swapped out.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Quick question. Box came in today but installing it tomorrow. Weather was crappy. Haven’t opened the box yet. Anything on this antenna that needs locktite? Thanks.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Installed. Nice design. Not much difference on the S meter on a distance airport tower but the audio is better, cleaner. Quick check on P25 800 Mhz. Crisp, clean audio. Time will tell but so far seems better than the discone.

Testing with my BCT15X, it picks up that distant tower allot better than before.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just checked HF. Deaf. Kind of bites but have my R75 on a wire. The R8500 did pretty good using the discone but not as good as the R75. Will do some testing to see how low I can go hearing something with the R8500.

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
Just checked HF. Deaf. Kind of bites but have my R75 on a wire. The R8500 did pretty good using the discone but not as good as the R75. Will do some testing to see how low I can go hearing something with the R8500.
No single antenna will cover dc - Ghz. For wide band coverage, you will have to use several antennas. Consider a diplexer or an antenna switch.

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
If it wasn't for someone posting on RR about his discone was picking up HF, I would never had tried it. I compared it to my R75 with a wire. Similar but the wire was better. Was nice to scan HF with the R8500 then fire up the R75 when the R8500 had a hard time bringing in a freq. Did buy a diplexer for the R8500 so I could use one antenna for the R8500. Still considering a loop down the road for HF but that was for the R75. Could put the wire on the R8500 and loop on the R75 when I get one. Am surprised how much more clear the audio is using the Omni X. Still testing it out though.

bobruzzo

W1AV
Premium Subscriber
I have had my omni x a few years now......a bit better than the discone. The discone no longer being used and hanging in rafters in garage. I mounted the omni x on a 15' pole on back of garage. I raised it up as high as it would go before getting unwieldy. I use omni x mainly for conventional vhf/uhf/P25. It doesnt work as well as my yagi 0n 800 mhz. But its a very good antenna.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-07-09 171326.png
    Screenshot 2022-07-09 171326.png
    473 KB · Views: 78

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Just curious, has anyone tried combining a Omni X and a mil Omni? Was thinking 5 feet apart but one facing N/S (the X), and othe facing E/W.

Status
Not open for further replies.