One Repeater?

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

N_Jay

X1536 said:
Is it possible to only have one repeater for a PD? Has anyone ever heard of it?

Yes. If they only have one channel pair, and don't have too many officers.

Remember LOTS of PDs only have 5 to 15 officers.

Thorny41587

What do you mean by one channel pair? Yes, it's a small city. Four watts just doesn't seem like a lot of power to me. For the portables to get out to the one repeater... however it is about 1,000 feet above the ground. (water tower)

Last edited:

NeFire242

Premium Subscriber
There's quite a few depts on simplex too!

Well yeah if it's 1,000 ft in the air, talk about good coverage. Power doesn't always mean much, it's how high you get that antenna.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
X1536 said:
however it is about 1,000 feet above the ground. (water tower)

I'm sorry, but a 1,000' water tower? Where is this at, I have got to see it.

Repeaters usually aren't much higher than a couple hundred feet.

Mike

Sonar

I'm guessing the water tower is on a hill that gets the antenna up to an elevation of 1000'. Not a 1000' water tower literally.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Sonar said:
I'm guessing the water tower is on a hill that gets the antenna up to an elevation of 1000'. Not a 1000' water tower literally.

He asked about Bowling Green, Ohio FD in another post and the only things that are 1,000' in the air in that part of Ohio are TV antenna towers and airplanes.

Mike

N

N_Jay

mdulrich said:
He asked about Bowling Green, Ohio FD in another post and the only things that are 1,000' in the air in that part of Ohio are TV antenna towers and airplanes.

Mike

Bowling Green is at about 700 ft, so it only takes a 300 foot tower to get to 1000 ft AMSL

mdulrich

Feed Provider
N_Jay said:
Bowling Green is at about 700 ft, so it only takes a 300 foot tower to get to 1000 ft AMSL

The statement was "however it is about 1,000 feet above the ground. (water tower)."

Mike

nexus

What do you mean by one channel pair? Yes, it's a small city. Four watts just doesn't seem like a lot of power to me. For the portables to get out to the one repeater... however it is about 1,000 feet above the ground. (water tower)

What's simplex? Without a repeater?

X1536, First YES a lot of police departments, fire departments, EMS agencies, and just about anyone else who uses radios can have just one repeater. Multiple repeaters are used in a trunking system usually.

But agencies who don't use trunking will be whats called "conventional" And that can be either a repeater OR simplex.

A repeater is a device that takes the signal on one frequency (an input) and automatically rebroadcasts it through an antenna at a high altitude and usually with much more power onto another completely different frequency (an output). When you're talking about repeaters the term "channel pair" will come into play meaning the input and output frequencies for the repeater.

Simplex = Single frequency, nothing is repeated
Duplex = Two frequencies (channel pair), used in a repeater.

Last edited:
N

N_Jay

mdulrich said:
The statement was "however it is about 1,000 feet above the ground. (water tower)."

Mike

Well, then I guess some people have trouble judging height.:roll:

rescuecomm

My local PD uses a UHF repeater for dispatch comms. All the city services were on VHF spread out on 4 repeaters. The PD went to UHF to allow comms with the local county sheriff and two of the neighboring counties. The officers carry a UHF portable, but the cars have VHF and UHF mobile radios. The third neighboring county still uses VHF. The UHF ended up as an add on instead of a replacement, but gave improved interop capabilities. The Detective branch also has a digital talkgroup on the state wide 800 system. The single dispatch repeater is able to carry 99% of the comms. They do switch to the old 155 VHF repeater for informal comms.

twolf816

and alot of agencies with 2 repeated channels and 2 or 3 simplex talk arounds....as in the case here.....personally i think the whole parish (county for non-louisianans) should get a trunking system for public safety...but im not in charge

Status
Not open for further replies.