Oneida County Codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2zs

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some info on Oneida County codes. For example I hear MHL, which seems to have something to do with Metal health…can’t figure what the L might mean however. Also wondering what BNT (or maybe it’s B&T) followed by a plate number might mean, some sort of traffic stop I assume. Is there a list on Oneida county codes somewhere around?

Thanks

Art-w2zs

NY DB Admin
Database Admin
Looking for some info on Oneida County codes. For example I hear MHL, which seems to have something to do with Metal health…can’t figure what the L might mean however. Also wondering what BNT (or maybe it’s B&T) followed by a plate number might mean, some sort of traffic stop I assume. Is there a list on Oneida county codes somewhere around?

Thanks

Art-w2zs

MHL or 9.41/9.45 is Mental Health Law

V and T or VTL is Vehicle and Traffic or Vehicle Traffic Law

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Those aren't exactly codes, in the sense of a "Code 99" They are as noted above, abbreviations. A "V&T stop" means someone was pulled over for a violation of Vehicle and traffic Law. The officer will run a DLIC, most of the time by client ID. Or check your drivers license by the 9 digit ID on the front.

In general most places including Oneida Co. have gone to plain english for most things. There are only a handful of situations where they prefer to use a code. Most of what you hear is short hand, abbreviations or direct references to laws and rules, such as a MHL 941 or 1192 (DWI)

There are some other "leftover" terms such as RALL and Rolling Data that refer to previous computer systems, but are essentially license and registration checks.

For beginning listeners reading this post...it is a lot more common sense than you think. Don't make more out of it than it is.

w2zs

Premium Subscriber
I QSL your response, of course abbreviations not codes.
73 and I am QRT :)

W2ZS

c0untyb0y

Oneida County has been a very good county to listen to in terms of their plain English use. Except for "Code 4" on the law side and "Code 99" and the EMD codes on the EMS side, there are no other codes used*. Even fire dept units are identified by dept name, apparatus type, and unit number, which is in stark contrast to a county like Schoharie where their fire apparatus are all numbers. Very disorienting when assisting/listening during the Irene response.

* Well, except for Utica who still likes their 10 codes... 10-50 comes to mind. Is that going to change next month when Utica comes to the County?

Prospect62

Oneida County has been a very good county to listen to in terms of their plain English use. Except for "Code 4" on the law side and "Code 99" and the EMD codes on the EMS side, there are no other codes used*. Even fire dept units are identified by dept name, apparatus type, and unit number, which is in stark contrast to a county like Schoharie where their fire apparatus are all numbers. Very disorienting when assisting/listening during the Irene response.

* Well, except for Utica who still likes their 10 codes... 10-50 comes to mind. Is that going to change next month when Utica comes to the County?

Yes. I have noticed UPD migrating (or at least trying to) from their 10-codes and DC codes to plain English.

Status
Not open for further replies.