Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking?

Prospect62

This was in the 2017 presentation. Orange dots are current Sites, and the Blue Stars are possible new tower locations if needed?

View attachment 80647

I want to know what the little purple blotch is just east of the Floyd and Steuben sites. Looks like maybe Remsen area? I feel like if that actually happened that it would help parts of Trenton and maybe even Deerfield (and of course Remsen). Something east of SR-12 would be really helpful.

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
There is still no new tower in Annsville (Rt 69/Pine Hill). I drove by there Friday and still sign of a tower installation.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
I just saw this today, if you can believe that.

Good info and stuff I hadn't thought of. Although I have to say I am still confused, as the Burrstone, Higby and COB sites are all within a handful of miles of each other. I'm not getting how Smith Hill/NYPA would be too close to Higby/Burrstone.

Its a bang for your buck thing. Smith hill would be overlapping too much existing coverage to be cost effective. You would want something more in the middle. Additionally VHF on Smith Hill has its own challenges because of the number and variety of transmitters up there. It really screws with the receivers.

Higby and burrstone are there for terrain issues, trying to pick up new hartford and utica. COB is a receive only site because VHF sucks at building penetration

Prospect62

Whatever the case may be...there still seems to be room for improvement east of Route 12. I don't think Floyd or Talcotville are going to help that.

Prospect62

UPDATE

new tower locations for Oneida County VHF P25 Trunking system

Call Sign WRFE885

There is still no new tower in Annsville (Rt 69/Pine Hill). I drove by there Friday and still sign of a tower installation.

Took a ride up Kotary Road today - didn't see anything. There was a small area that looked recently cleared at the foot of the South Hill State Forest but I'm not so sure it's for a transmitter site. Interestingly, my G2 was receiving exceptionally well up there.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
Talcottville was online about 7-9 months ago. When I visit family up that way in lewis county, i get full signal on my radio.
It is actually not online, it just seems like it is. There is another site that is bombing into that area.

k2hz

Database Admin
Talcottville Construction date of completion was 05/01/2020 ..

Talcottville should be online
Just a general comment, not specific to the Oneida County system, but FCC construction notices often have little or no relevance to when the station is actually placed in regular service. There can be many reasons for this but, with the buildout of a trunked system, it can depend on other sites also being ready and system testing before it can go "online".

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
They never built the tower in the Town of Annsville off of State Route 69. My guess is Covid and/or funding challenges. The closest tower (that I know of) for the Camden area is in the Town of Florence.

Prospect62

They never built the tower in the Town of Annsville off of State Route 69. My guess is Covid and/or funding challenges. The closest tower (that I know of) for the Camden area is in the Town of Florence.

I assume Talcottville will still come online as it's existing infrastructure. Would be a big help I'm sure. As for the new constructions I'm as doubtful as you are.

Quiet on the new TG front though...

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Hi does anyone have a hpe. file for the SDS200 they will share for Oneida or Herkimer county? Thank You!

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Hi does anyone have a hpe. file for the SDS200 they will share for Oneida or Herkimer county? Thank You!

I sent you a personal message. Unzip the files and import as you see fit. To avoid overwriting your own files, check the file names first and rename as needed.

Scott
KG2S

RCjim

Premium Subscriber
Are there any known changes or updates to this system the past few months??
It’s now Dec. 2021/Thanks

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Are there any known changes or updates to this system the past few months??
It’s now Dec. 2021/Thanks

The last Oneida County update I see in the CNYICC change history is dated 6 August. Please note that other CNYICC counties have more recent updates.