op25 boatbod “control channel timeout”

Status
Not open for further replies.

wgbecks

Just catching up on this tread. I suspect your LNA gain is/was set way too high if in fact you're located very close to the transmitting tower.
This would definitely cause overload that will induce all sorts of (IM) weird problems including control channel timeouts. Could you post the
FFT Plot(s) and your LNA settings used with both rx.py and multi_rx.py applications?

Last edited:

telvana

I’d have to mess with it later, it’s running a broadcastify feed and people get cranky when I turn it off on Friday/Saturday nights lol. The LNA settings are the same on both, 39. I experimented with gain quite a bit w/ rx.py and never saw much of a difference aside from raising the noise floor quite a bit once going past 39.

boatbod

multi_rx.py and rx.py both use the same demodulator but different tuning, frame assemblers and call control. Without capturing some symbols where the timeout is occurring it's going to be tricky if not impossible to figure out why one app times out but the other doesn't. FWIW there is a 1000msec timer that runs in the p25p1_fdma protocol handler that will expire and trigger the timeout message if a TSBK (or other signaling message) isn't received quickly enough. Re-tuning between a voice channel and the control channel has always taken a good chunk of time (approx 7-800mSec) so it's entirely possible to see a CC Timeout if a noise burst coincides with retuning and makes acquisition of framing take just a little longer than it normally would. Big picture... not a significant issue if it's occurring infrequently.

telvana

Yep, and now it’s a moot point, been rock solid for 2 days now, not to mention it motivated me to migrate to multi_rx which opens up more options in the future if I ever decide to monitor a DMR network, or someday you decide to add NXDN :)

boatbod

Yep, and now it’s a moot point, been rock solid for 2 days now, not to mention it motivated me to migrate to multi_rx which opens up more options in the future if I ever decide to monitor a DMR network, or someday you decide to add NXDN :)
When I start working on my gnuradio-3.9 port, it's going to be multi_rx only :)

Last edited:

telvana

I wonder how many people are still using rx.py though? I was only using it due to legacy issues — I started using op25 back in roughly 2016 or so, back when it required a GUI and ran terrible lol

boatbod

I wonder how many people are still using rx.py though? I was only using it due to legacy issues — I started using op25 back in roughly 2016 or so, back when it required a GUI and ran terrible lol
I think it's far more than I might hope, simply because the setup guides are written for it.
The one thing op25 lacks more than anything is good documentation.

telvana

Have you ever thought about writing a configuration script that could walk someone through most of the setup?

boatbod

Have you ever thought about writing a configuration script that could walk someone through most of the setup?
Yes, but I lack sufficient free time to dedicate to the task. (I'm a parent of a teenager, boatyard manager, volunteer firefighter, boy scout leader and work on op25 in the few remaining minutes of an evening)

Status
Not open for further replies.