OP25 Priority question

Status
Not open for further replies.

AB5ID

I just discovered the OP25 priorty setting and it works great! I understand that Priority 1 is the highest and 3 is default. My question is, are 1,2 and 3 the only valid levels of priority? What is the range of the priority setting, is there a valid priority 4 or 5....?
Thanks!

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
You can use any value and they don't have to be unique, so you could have a bunch of 1s, then 5s, then 20s, etc. I use about 1-15. Make sure you understand how the priority works in regards to the number of recorders that are active.

boatbod

Correct, the numbers are purely arbitrary. I had to pick something as a default so 3 seemed reasonable. You can use negative values if you really need more discrete levels.

AB5ID

Thanks for the responses! Is there somewhere I can find guidelines on how to get the most effective use out of priority numbers, are there any pitfalls or negative impacts to avoid?

boatbod

Thanks for the responses! Is there somewhere I can find guidelines on how to get the most effective use out of priority numbers, are there any pitfalls or negative impacts to avoid?
Not really, it's a basic concept you just have to decide how to apply it.

e.g.
Call on TGID 1111 (prio 3) in progress
Calls on other TGIDs arrive, all with (prio 3) ==> ignore and carry on playing 1111
Call on TGID 2222 (prio 2) arrives. (prio 2) > (prio 3) ==> drop 1111 and switch to 2222

As a first responder I set my local dispatch channels to the highest priority, then fire tac channels next. Medical tac channels after that, and lastly medical consult channels. For a while during the COVID rush I bumped the consult channels up to second priority so I could listen to what was happening in the pre-hospital environment.

AB5ID

Not really, it's a basic concept you just have to decide how to apply it.

e.g.
Call on TGID 1111 (prio 3) in progress
Calls on other TGIDs arrive, all with (prio 3) ==> ignore and carry on playing 1111
Call on TGID 2222 (prio 2) arrives. (prio 2) > (prio 3) ==> drop 1111 and switch to 2222

As a first responder I set my local dispatch channels to the highest priority, then fire tac channels next. Medical tac channels after that, and lastly medical consult channels. For a while during the COVID rush I bumped the consult channels up to second priority so I could listen to what was happening in the pre-hospital environment.

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure my thinking matched what is happening. An earlier post referred to the number of recorders that are active. I can see where having many TG's set as priority would result in too many calls getting interrupted by other calls.

boatbod

Thank you, I just wanted to make sure my thinking matched what is happening. An earlier post referred to the number of recorders that are active. I can see where having many TG's set as priority would result in too many calls getting interrupted by other calls.
I was puzzled by the reference to "number of recorders". While it is technically possible to use the logfile receivers functionality, it's not something in common usage. Maybe the comment was in relation to Trunk Recorder software?

nick0909

Antenna flicker
Feed Provider
I was puzzled by the reference to "number of recorders". While it is technically possible to use the logfile receivers functionality, it's not something in common usage. Maybe the comment was in relation to Trunk Recorder software?

Maybe? You are probably right, I use both and might have gotten the priority methods mixed up in my head.

AB5ID

Correct, the numbers are purely arbitrary. I had to pick something as a default so 3 seemed reasonable. You can use negative values if you really need more discrete levels.
One more dumb question:). I'm using priority 1,2 and 3. I have a couple of TGs that I want to give a higher priority than 1, can I use 0? Or should I go into negative numbers?

hdphil

ignore last post , figured it out using a whitelist .tsv file and a tgid.tsv file

Status
Not open for further replies.