Open Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dvlp

any opinions on purchasing a Uniden BC250D Scanner? will i get digital/trunking and the ability to pick up police freq? still new at this please help!!
cheers
dl

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
any opinions on purchasing a Uniden BC250D Scanner? will i get digital/trunking and the ability to pick up police freq? still new at this please help!!
cheers
dl

You will get to listen to the OPP and MTO enforcement digial and the MNR officers as well as other fleetnet users such as your EMS and MTO patrols. That is, if the radio comes with a digital card (later Uniden models that feature digital all have the digital capabilities). There are some drawbacks to it, you are limited to 10 banks, most scanners nowadays have pretty much umlimited amounts of data we can put in them and if you live near Toronto you will not be able to listen to the Metrolinx GO system.

Where do you live? It seems that many systems in the SW are Mototurbo or encrypted like London and Windsor.
It depends on how much you are paying for it also.

Hope this helps!

kirk23

Pierrefonds (West Island Montreal) Qc Canada
Bc250d

cheers
dl

and if i remember correctly, the BC250D can only monitor the 3600 baud systems NOT the 9600 baud .
and i don't think it picks up "Close Call" either..

my opinion, save your money for now and invest in a BCD396XT

SuperTex

and if i remember correctly, the BC250D can only monitor the 3600 baud systems NOT the 9600 baud .
and i don't think it picks up "Close Call" either..

my opinion, save your money for now and invest in a BCD396XT

If he's getting a decent deal, and it has the card... It might be worth it. Depends on what else he has too.

I'd go for it if it was around $300 CDN. My opinion only...

SuperTex

Kinda off topic but perhaps the OP is confused from the Wiki... It says that the 250D will not do trunked P25... I understand it won't do 9600 baud, but Fleetnet is 3600 baud and it will do Fleetnet... same as the 785D (with card) and the 796D.

dvlp

Thanks for the answers. The unit i'm looking at is on Ebay and currently sitting at a bid of 100 ish. THis unit does not come with the digital card, that is being sold separately . IThe general consensus i'm getting is to save up and get a 300 series. i'm sure you all know the feeling, when you are wanting to get something you want it NOW. I think i'll curb that desire and go with a newer model!
cheers
dl

dvlp

I'm hoping to pick up whats local, or what i can find. hadn't thought much bout the US of A. The 396xt does look like the right one, just need to save a few more pennies
cheers
d

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
I'm hoping to pick up whats local, or what i can find. hadn't thought much bout the US of A. The 396xt does look like the right one, just need to save a few more pennies
cheers
d

There are a few guys who have some for sale in the GTA I think from time to time. I recommend TorontoKris.
I think he had a few for sale the other day on a Yahoo group that is popular with users here.

If you can get a digital card for a decent price a C note isnt bad for a 250 but you will be blown away by the 396T and the newer 396XT. I was lucky enough to borrow a buddies 996XT for a few weeks. The newer units show the RIDS and you can run Andrew Porrett's Trunk 88 program without having to tap your scanner!

I have never used a new GRE or Radio Shack equivalent scanner since I had a Pro 93 but I have heard that they are great scanners and might have superior sound quality.

Another note; get software! Be it ARC or freeware. It makes programming so easy. I think you can get all the info from the database here and load it on without doing much work if you are a paying member of this site. Even if you are not you can cut and paste files to software easily.

unlisted

If your going to save up for a "newer" model (bcd396t or xt) I personally would recommend a GRE/Radio shack Pro 106 over the Uniden. ( and I also recommend you do save up and buy a newer model over the 250 your looking @)

I currently own a Pro 106 and a BCD396xt- the Pro 106 beats the bcd hands down (no contect) on P-25 trunking. The 396 sounds like a hollow echo-y tin can of sorts, (digital modulation) and the pro 106 sounds like someone is just speaking to you. Clear as a bell, no weird noises like the 396xt.

I still prefer the 396 when I am out and about- simply for size. The Pro stays at home, or in the car most the time now.

Hope this helps.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
The scanner without the card ended for $127us, and the digital card sold for $183us
So $300 us total + shipping/customs taxes

Ive seen 396T's go for $400 canadian locally so might be a better deal as they cover 9600 baud systems and have 6000 channels.

I also sell brand new in box 396XT's for $550 canadian (shameless plug) message me on private message if interested.

Thanks for the answers. The unit i'm looking at is on Ebay and currently sitting at a bid of 100 ish. THis unit does not come with the digital card, that is being sold separately . IThe general consensus i'm getting is to save up and get a 300 series. i'm sure you all know the feeling, when you are wanting to get something you want it NOW. I think i'll curb that desire and go with a newer model!
cheers
dl

Status
Not open for further replies.