Operation of EchoLink

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am considering a HAM licence and have started looking at different transceivers. One in particular, a KENWOOD TM-V71A, is EchoLink Capable. I have also heard that a repeater nearby is internet connected with EchoLink. Would I be able to connect to that repeater and dial a node number to connect to another repeater/node or do I always have to go through the internet to connect to a node?

nd5y

I have also heard that a repeater nearby is internet connected with EchoLink. Would I be able to connect to that repeater and dial a node number to connect to another repeater/node or do I always have to go through the internet to connect to a node?

Yes, it it technically possible to send DTMF tones to connect to other nodes if that particular repeater is set up that way AND you have permission from the repeater owner.
It may be a closed system that only members or certain people are allowed to use. If that is the case then you can use your own computer or simplex link and connect to whoever you want as long as the other node allows incoming connections.

kc4jgc

.... One in particular, a KENWOOD TM-V71A, is EchoLink Capable. I have also heard that a repeater nearby is internet connected with EchoLink. Would I be able to connect to that repeater and dial a node number to connect to another repeater/node or do I always have to go through the internet to connect to a node?

Technically, Any radio with a DTMF pad is "EchoLink capable". Also, you can program the radio to send to said repeater commands to connect to your most used nodes using the autodial feature.

I think what Kenwood is advertising here is the capability to connect the radio directly to a computer running EchoLink in sysop mode. That could be quite useful either at home or in the field with a wi fi or some other high speed wireless connection.

.... if that particular repeater is set up that way AND you have permission from the repeater owner. It may be a closed system that only members or certain people are allowed to use. If that is the case then you can use your own computer or simplex link and connect to whoever you want as long as the other node allows incoming connections.

Exactly. As with most repeaters with features, check with the repeater owners before trying to access EchoLink on the repeater. As far as connecting to a node, some only allow connections from RF nodes. There's something else to check if you want to make a connection via keyboard.

nd5y

No. The software will not function until it is registered and you can't register it unless you have a valid amateur radio license.

No. The software will not function until it is registered and you can't register it unless you have a valid amateur radio license.
Darn!

I have just read that the repeater is owned by the nearby University of Delaware and that the repeater is open to all amateur radio operators! :)
The future is lookin' bright for me! W3UD Repeater

Also, just for fun, here is a Google Earth file that shows all the active EchoLink nodes. http://www.echolink.org/node_location.kmz

nd5y

Can an EchoLink node connect to an IRLP or WIRES node and vice versa?

For an end user the answer is no.
It is possible for a sysop to have an EchoLink node and a IRLP node bridged together as long as the EchoLink side does not allow computer end users to connect to IRLP. I don't think it is allowed for users of one system to cross connect to users on the other.
I dont' know if it is possible for WIRES or any other RoIP system to connect to EchoLink. I haven't noticed anything but IRLP.

See http://www.echoirlp.net/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.