OPP dispatch frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

juicey67jan

I am learning to program a scanner on my own. What is the frequency to program for OPP in Lambton and Middlesex counties? I am getting car repeaters but not main dispatch.

juicey67jan

I have a Baofeng UV-5R . I downloaded the radio into CHIRP and added the channels for local fire but missing Lambton EMS and OPP frequencies. I include the car repeaters.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Hey @juicey67jan, unfortunately the Baofeng UV-5R is a very, very low end handheld transceiver. Not really meant for scanning. Due to that, it's not capable of receiving the OPP, since they use P25 voice modulation across the board. The exception would be the BEAT repeaters, and the odd vehicular repeater you've picked up. They are fairly low power though.

Similarly, the EMS are on a trunked radio system, which you cannot program in either. You could attempt putting in the frequencies for the trunked system tower in your area but you'd get a lot of data noise often and cannot truly "trunktrack" the system properly.

EMS are currently still analog, so you could make the attempt to listen to the pagers or the vehicle repeaters in the hope one is somewhat nearby - the repeaters operate on a very short range.

If you program any of these in, be sure to make sure you've set it up just for receive... keep the TX far far away from the frequencies to avoid trouble if you accidentally open the mic up. Or disable it overall if that's an option. Overall most people would not suggest trying to use this unit for any kind of scanning.

I do highly suggest selling that unit and getting a proper scanner. You can easily receive the OPP / EMS on older models like the 996T and 396T. I believe there's a few Whistler models that are on the cheaper side even new that will be P25 Phase 1 capable and work fine for you.

It's also worth noting that, if your only intention is to listen to OPP and EMS, they are in the process of moving over to a fully encrypted system.

That's why I'd shoot for an older scanner if that's your only listening intentions at the moment.

Hope this has been of some help.

Last edited:

Gymbag

Premium Subscriber
You will need a digital trunking scanner to hear the OPP currently. If you can return that radio from whom ever you purchased it from you may want to try that. You can purchase a used digital trunking scanner for around $300.00.

Last edited by a moderator:

mciupa

Any negativity towards a New Member will result in posts being edited. The forums are not here to drive people away from this site.

gary123

Also I suggest you read the PSRN threads to give your self a heads up on the future. This is not to disuade you but to give you more info to make an informed decision.

I recommend a BCD536 or 436 or one of the SD100 or 200. Any of these will give you future capabilities that may be useful. Just remember that NO scanner decodes encrypted signals. All of these will do Fire, Rail, Air, commercial systems like OnQ and FleetConnect and possibly EMS on PSRN (time will tell on this one).

Status
Not open for further replies.