OPP question

Status
Not open for further replies.

NEOMANTRIC

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hey guys just a quick question. I know the OPP have gone digital, however, in Napanee I was able to receive a repeater on my BC125at. Is there any way that the repeater setup is only like that in Napanee, or can I reach a similar repeater once back in Peterborough ?
Thanks is advance.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Hey guys just a quick question. I know the OPP have gone digital, however, in Napanee I was able to receive a repeater on my BC125at. Is there any way that the repeater setup is only like that in Napanee, or can I reach a similar repeater once back in Peterborough ?
Thanks is advance.

The OPP cruisers have repeaters, I think the repeater frequency is 410.8625. You have to be close enough to one of those cruisers in order to hear anything, within a few miles or so.

Please also note that the OPP have been digital for over 10 years.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Thanks for the heads up guys. I am just an entry level scanner right now. Amazed at the things you can hear.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the heads up guys. I am just an entry level scanner right now. Amazed at the things you can hear.

You should have been around here 10-15 years ago: The following are just a few of the departments that are un-scannable now:

Guelph PS & FD
Peel Region Police
Halton Police
Niagara Police
Hamilton Police, Fire, Animal Control, pretty much everything
London Police
Windsor Police

The following are pretty much sure to be un-scannable soon:
Toronto Police, maybe EMS, FDP
Mississauga, Brampton, Caledon Fire
Waterloo Region services

The OPP are still in the clear, people here have mentioned that the current company that designed and built fleetnet have a contract till 2017. That probably means that you will still be able to listen to EMS and OPP, etc for another 5 years.

Fleetnet is extremely busy in and around the GTA, slightly less so SW, Dispatched by London.

Again, the repeaters that you hear can only work for you as long as you are within range. The good thing about this is that if for example, the users of talkgroup 8656 in zone 1, Aurora 5 Bravo units, patrolling York Regions provincial highways and 5 Lima units, patrolling the 407 will be heard as long as there is a car close enough to you.

So, I am in Aldershot, at the end of the 407, if there is a 407/ETR car out this way, and I have an older scanner or something not digital capable, I will hear all the activity on this talkgroup.

But you are really only scratching the surface at what you can hear without a scanner that can decipher P25 activity. I have had one since 2004 and now have 3 scanners/radios that allow me to monitor the OPP.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
What is deciphering p25 ? This all sounds interesting, I just hope I'm able to understand everything enough to catch up to all the new technologies.

NEOMANTRIC

Banned
Same for me in Timmins. Before I got a digital scanner, I listened to the OPP on VR01 with my BC246T. As for Peterborough, it says nothing in the county's page. You might try to scan the 3 VRs and the 3 BEAT repeaters found here Ontario Provincial Police Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference. Maybe someone from the region can better assist you.

Cheers.

I put in all VRs and beat repeaters and luckily got a few hits. Thanks for the help. Its a neat concept even if it isn't the full experience.

EJB

20 + year membership
Premium Subscriber
What is deciphering p25 ? This all sounds interesting, I just hope I'm able to understand everything enough to catch up to all the new technologies.

It's mostly a fancy way of saying that the new scanners work and can broadcast digital P25 communications
Your scanner cant, Robin/Ralph mentioned that his Uniden 246t was analogue only, it was not designed and cannot work with P25 communications, it sounds like grinding noise.

A digital capable scanner, a home patrol, 396xt, 996XT, GRE600, PSR800, Uniden 436/536 can allow you to hear the communications, digital, called P25.

If you are satisfied with what you have now then thats great but as many municipal, county, state, etc switch to unscannable formats you might as well enjoy it while you have it.

PM me if you are interested in upgrading, I know people, lol.

frankh

the beat 02 repeater on 412.8875 can be heard throughout essex county even with the factory antenna in analogue FM for anyone with a older scanner interested in listening to the opp
the same frequency is active in many areas serviced by the opp

Status
Not open for further replies.