P106 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

heather106

My dad has a raidoshack p106 digital scanner and we're not sure how to program it. How would we program a hex code like this into the scanner?
DEC HEX Mode Alpha Tag Description Tag
20400 4fb D ISP 33 DISP ISP District 33 - Dispatch Law Dispatch

Starting from the very start can someone tell me how to put something like this into the scanner to be able to listen to it. OH ALSO The general system type for the dispatch here in indiana is motorola (if that means anything because we aren't sure how p25 works)

Thanks in advance :)

lynxrufus

Welcome. Since no one has responded, I'll throw in my two cents.

What you want to do is easier to do than it is to explain.

You need to program system frequencies before you program a talkgroup (or at least, at the same time). The system frequencies you'll want to program are those for the tower (or towers) closest to you.

If the talkgroup is part of a Motorola Type II SmartZone, then you need to follow the instructions for programming that kind of system.

You might find the "easier to read manual" helpful:
Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual
Look for the entry: TSYS (Trunked System) Object Menu
You need to create a TSYS object which contains the frequencies for the closest tower. Only when you've done that can you program the talkgroup.

And, yes, the type of system is important (and Motorola Type II and P-25 phase I are not the same).

jfhtm350

Easiest thing to do is get the cable and software to program it and get a subscription here if you dont want to learn about system types, talkgroups, DEC codes, and all that hooha. The easier to read manual linked above makes more sense than the factory manual. There are several people here that program theirs manually and they will probably tell you they know their radio inside and out when they figure out how to manually program it. I use software. I could do it manually but I prefer the speed of the software and the layout on the computer screen.

As far as the Hex codes go, you dont need to program those in. The Hex codes are for Unidens I believe and not needed with the Pro106. You will need the DEC code.

Status
Not open for further replies.