P25 Decoding on BCD536HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffrogerson

Have you played with the P25 adjustment mode detailed on Page 59 of the manual?

Somebody else had problems with a 396T on the same channel and they solved their problem by adjusting the P25 decode setting:

http://forums.radioreference.com/ontario/255145-noise-belleville-city-fire-channel.html

Yeah, I've been through that also. I'm hoping someone locally has this new scanner and can see if they hear Belleville FD transmissions. Again, this is happening when I use the zip code feature - using the full database, and also by manually programming the frequency.

whsbuss

Yeah, I've been through that also. I'm hoping someone locally has this new scanner and can see if they hear Belleville FD transmissions. Again, this is happening when I use the zip code feature - using the full database, and also by manually programming the frequency.

Are you programming via Sentinel or directly on the scanner? You can set more options via Sentinel.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Did you set to digital only as suggested earlier to see the NAC code?

If you enable NAC Search in Digital Audio Only mode, you should be able to see it.

The x36 radios don't have "analog only" or "digital only" modes visible on the Sentinel screen. If you see "NAC Search", you can assume "digital only".

jeffrogerson

To clarify, as I may have made an error when typing my situation.
For clarfication, when I set audio type to "All", I get the motorboating. When I set it to Digital Only, or NAC search, I hear nothing at all.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Perhaps you are listening to a mixed mode channel? Some of it is analog and you can hear that (when in the "ALL mode" but the digital transmissions (motor-boating) is a type of digital mode that the new radios cannot decode.

This is a Wild guess by the way.

Salvation

I am having a very similar issue with my local PD.. I have a Pro-197 and BC785D and both do not seem to have any issues but the BCD536HP only seems to unmute every once in a while. Most times the 536 will scan to the channel and stop and show signal but not unmute at all and then just continue to scan even though the 197 and 785D are still receiving a transmission. I have swapped antennas a few times to see if that was the issue or not. I am not too familiar with P25 so I am not sure what I am doing when trying to tweak the P25 settings in the scanner. I have been trying different threshold and delay settings. I programmed this through Sentinel and not manually. I am thinking the few transmissions I am getting through the 536HP is from channel 1B and not getting anything from 1A.

My PD is Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Ocean County, New Jersey (NJ) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
506.86250 WIL285 RM 293 NAC LEHT PD 1A Police Ch. 1A P25 Law Dispatch
506.86250 WIL285 RM A4E NAC LEHT PD 1B Police Ch. 1B P25 Law Dispatch

Salvation

I did some messing around today. I changed type from Digital to All and the transmission is just heavy static and sometimes will switch to good audio. Not all the time though. I have had a few instances where it just stayed with static the entire time. Even though they do use encryption here and there, they were not using it in these instances as I was able to pick up clear audio on my Pro-197.. I'm not sure what else to try.. Here is video of short recorded transmission..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z409QKpr11I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whsbuss

I did some messing around today. I changed type from Digital to All and the transmission is just heavy static and sometimes will switch to good audio. Not all the time though. I have had a few instances where it just stayed with static the entire time. Even though they do use encryption here and there, they were not using it in these instances as I was able to pick up clear audio on my Pro-197.. I'm not sure what else to try.. Here is video of short recorded transmission..

P25 issues on BCD536HP - YouTube

In my opinion, there's not much else you can do. Uniden either has to address this (and many more decode/receive issues) via firmware or face a loss in profit. Audio in general on some systems is less than stellar IMO

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

Salvation, could it be due to RF overload of some sort?

Salvation

I honestly don't know. I don't believe that it is any sort of RF overload because I have a Pro-197 right next to it that decodes transmissions without any issue and I also have a 785D in the next room that also has no issue decoding the transmission. I have swapped the antennas between all the different scanners with the same results to try and eliminate that as well.

Mike_G_D

I'm not at all sure if this will make any difference but it may be worth a try - if you can change the modulation mode from Auto to FM or NFM as well as Digital Only if this is possible (I don't own a 436 or 536, sorry). Sometimes the Auto setting might not be using the best bandwidth/audio processing for the frequency desired. Try FM and NFM and see if either mode makes a difference over Auto.

-Mike

Salvation

I'm not at all sure if this will make any difference but it may be worth a try - if you can change the modulation mode from Auto to FM or NFM as well as Digital Only if this is possible (I don't own a 436 or 536, sorry). Sometimes the Auto setting might not be using the best bandwidth/audio processing for the frequency desired. Try FM and NFM and see if either mode makes a difference over Auto.

-Mike

Well that looks like it fixed my problem... I changed from NFM (which is what is in RR DB) and put it on FM and so far since I have done that it has grabbed just about all transmissions even some before my Pro-197 could grab it.. Anyone else want to try it on their systems as well to see if it fixes your issues?

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 4.1.2; en-us; LG-LS720 Build/JZO54K) AppleWebKit/534.30 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/534.30)

You may want to read some of the comments on the "BCDx36HP in Los Angeles basin" thread. I'm finding that on a local trunk system (Orange County CCCS) within a few miles of my QTH, the only reliable P25 decode I can get is with a paper clip antenna and attenuation on all sites. Put on my RS-800 or outside yagi, forget it. Terrible decode, or just sits on a TG and no audio what so ever, etc. On other P25 sites on systems farther away, no problems at all.
I really do think it is some type of RF overload. But not really clear.
Steve AA6IO

Steve I think you are right. I am having the same problem here. Switching from NFM to FM fix it. This setting also can't be changed in the software, only on the radio

Status
Not open for further replies.