• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Issue - Moto Astro Spectra and Kenwood TK-5210

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpss

Ok guys im racking my brain here. Ive got a Motorola Astro Spectra (VHF W5 Hi Power trunk mount) and im working on programming in P25 channels. Ive been using a Kenwood TK-5210 P25 handheld and I can not get the motorola and the kenwood working correctly. The kenwood can transmit and the astro spectra will recieve and you hear audio. When you transmit from the Astro spectra the kenwood shows its picking up something but there is no audio at all.

Has anyone had any problems with kenwood and motorola like this? The only thing I can think of is to set the kenwood to a "receive all/open nac" setting instead of NAC setting i have it set on and see if I can get audio.

The motorola has been checked out by a radio shop and the kenwood has been to the factory to be fixed and retuned after someone broke the antenna connector.

Any ideas?

And just to put it out...

Motorola Astro Spectra
-----------------------------------
TX 158.61250 NAC 560
RX 158.61250 NAC 560
ASTRO System - 1
Digital Modulator Type - C4FM
Rx Unmute Rule - Normal Squelch
Unmute/Mute Type - And UnMute, Or Mute
RX Voice/Signal Type - ASTRO
Rx Unmute Delay (ms) - 1
Rx Emphasis - Checked
Busy LED - Checked
TX Time Out Timer - 1 (Infinite)
Transmit Deviation - 2.5 kHz
Trasmit Emphasis - Checked
Reverse Burst/Turn-Off Code - Checked
Channel Spacing - 12.5 kHz
Tx Voice/Signal Type - ASTRO

Kenwood TK-5210K3
-------------------------------
TX 158.61250 NAC 560
RX 158.61250 NAC 560
Squelch Type - NAC
Channel Type - P25
Channel Spacing - 12.5 kHz

Last edited:

txpss

Its telling me unknown right now. Im using Astro CPS R05.03.00
I can say the system package is G48 / FLASHcode 100001-000000-7
When I decode the FLASHcode i get:
D12 B1 G806 G806 ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
D7 B1 G48 G48 Conventional Systems Operation

RFrunner

The Motorola should not have pre-emphasis enabled for P25 mode. I'm surprised it's even an option.

Did the radio shop check out the Motorola radio P25 FM deviation?

txpss

I turned off pre-emphasis and it still did not help. The motorola shop said everything was in working order with the radio. I will call them back and re ask them.

RFrunner

Have you tried toggling the various P25 squelch modes? Can you hear audio when the Kenwood is set to "P25 monitor"? Also, what TGID are you set to? Same TGID for Mot and Kenwood?

I like radioman2001 suggestion about being too close to the Mot radio too. Could be overloading the Kenwood receiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.