P25 phase 2 scanner recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jn2022

Hello, I might be needing a phase 2 P25 capable scanner. I would just be using it for as base scanner. We live in a rural community so we don’t have a ton of radio traffic. What do you all recommend? I just need something that works good. As I said before, I will just have it at my house. Thanks everyone!!!
Jason

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RadioReference! If you let us know where you live (town/county/state) and the system you're interested in monitoring, we can make a better recommendation. That said, P25 phase 2 systems are often Simulcast and can cause reception problems on many digital-capable scanners. The one exception is the Uniden SDS models that are designed to handle the Simulcast distortion.

timhir25

Premium Subscriber
Same here Jn2022, welcome to the RR. There are so many people here on the RR that can help you.

OK, first of all let me say this. I see where the OP says he needs a phase 2 P25 capable scanner. However I also see
where Jn2022 joined the RR on Feb 26, 2022 and has 3 posts and may not be aware of the Unication G4 or G5 Pagers.

Everytime someone mentions Simulcast distortion it's brought up that you have to get the SDS 100 or the SDS 200.
Not true. Hardly anyone evers mentions the Unication pagers which can handle Simulcast perfectly.

I went through this when researching the SDS's thinking they were the only way to deal with Simulcast in my area.
After researching I decided to go with the G-4 Pager. Which I bought two of them. Big shout out to Ray's Pager Sales.
Great customer service.

I have a WS1098 which I leave on 24/7 until two weeks ago when I got the G-4's. Man am I impressed. Cystral clear
reception and the speaker is very clear. I didn't realize what I was mising not having a scanner or pager that could
handle Simulcast.

That's where I was getting confused by the word pager when I was doing my research. I keep telling myself I don't need
a pager, I need a scanner. So glad I went with the G-4. So maybe OP is not aware of the G-4 or G-5 Unication pagers

OK, enough said, I have to go to the bank and get a loan. I have to put gas in my truck and go grocery shopping.

Stay Safe Everyone
TIM

Last edited:

Jn2022

Ok everyone, thank you for all your responses so far. I grew up with an old school scanner all my life. My old school scanner kind of crapped out on me recently. Before buying my new scanner, I checked with our Sheriff’s Office to see if there were any plans to go digital any time in the near future. So far, an analog scanner has always worked. But seeing there is a plan in place, I wanted to get one that would work. I live up in Sturgeon Bay, Door County Wisconsin. The peninsula or the thumb of Wisconsin. By researching further, I see that WISCOM is a digitally trunked statewide radio system which is used for a lot of stuff including mutual aid between different regions of the state. There are different sites or towers that are listed that are on the system. The Carlsville and the Brussels towers are the ones closest to me. Carlsville, I get full signal. Anyway, WISCOM is a P25 system.
For programming my GRE PSR-600, I chose P25 Auto for my TSYS. For control frequencies, I entered 139.4125 and 139.9625. For now, in the group ID spot, I just put wildcard. I noticed that Kewaunee county, which is right next to us, is already switched to digital and is on WISCOM already. After doing all this, I am unable to get anything other than 131 group id, which I think is State Patrol but nothing else. So Im just wondering if it’s me doing something wrong or if this scanner isn’t able to pick WISCOM up. I don’t really understand simulcast very good so im not sure if that’s an issue or if it’s because this scanner doesn’t have phase 2? Thank you everyone for your help!! I am able to return this scanner if I have to.
Jason

N8IAA

Hello, I might be needing a phase 2 P25 capable scanner. I would just be using it for as base scanner. We live in a rural community so we don’t have a ton of radio traffic. What do you all recommend? I just need something that works good. As I said before, I will just have it at my house. Thanks everyone!!!
Jason

Wait until the system is built out. You may be facing encryption when all is finished. No sense in putting out a lot of money and then being stuck with a paperweight.
Just saying.........

Wauk620

KD9PQM
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to RR, Jason. You may not necessarily be doing anything wrong. Disregard NI8AA as WISCOM isn’t going encrypted. In fact, there’s an RFP out for switching from the current VHF to 700/800 MHz freqs and staying P25. I live in Waukesha (WSP SE Region) which has towers in Delafield, Milwaukee and Kenosha. I can monitor the cars from the WI/IL border all the way north to Sheboygan County and west to Dane County, just using the factory telescoping whip. I have the same scanner. If you would like some help programming it before you start spending money on other equipment, PM me and I’ll see if I can help. - John KD9PQM

Jn2022

Welcome to RR, Jason. You may not necessarily be doing anything wrong. Disregard NI8AA as WISCOM isn’t going encrypted. In fact, there’s an RFP out for switching from the current VHF to 700/800 MHz freqs and staying P25. I live in Waukesha (WSP SE Region) which has towers in Delafield, Milwaukee and Kenosha. I can monitor the cars from the WI/IL border all the way north to Sheboygan County and west to Dane County, just using the factory telescoping whip. I have the same scanner. If you would like some help programming it before you start spending money on other equipment, PM me and I’ll see if I can help. - John KD9PQM
👍

Jn2022

I pm'd you but not sure if I did it right.
I pm’d you but I’m not sure if I did it right.

N8IAA

So, WISCOM is building out a Phase II system? Then it's going to be years before the entire state is built out. (At least I'm presuming).
So, yes, disregard the 'E' I mentioned.

But, Jn2022, have you put in the other two sites with the CC's and Alternate control channels? You might be missing some action.
Are you still able to hear the conventional frequencies for your county? If so. You will be able to for a long time.

All I was really stating was that don't go over the deep end until it really happens in your area.

Jn2022

All I was really stating was that don't go over the deep end until it really happens in your area.
I know and I appreciate you telling me this. I had spoken to our local sheriffs Office a while back and all they said was that the plan was to switch over to digital in 2024. I do not know for a fact that it will be on WISCOM but just kind of figured seeing that our neighboring county is on it now.

N8IAA

Did your 600 die? You have another thread about programming TG's into that scanner.

Again, two years down the road is a long time from now. Who knows how the system will be built out. Be patient and wait.

Jn2022

Did your 600 die? You have another thread about programming TG's into that scanner.

Again, two years down the road is a long time from now. Who knows how the system will be built out. Be patient and wait.
No, I bought a new, used 600 to replace my old one. The 600 is replacing a realistic PRO-2004. The PRO-2004 is the one that quit.

AxelsHumanDad

Jason
Hello Sturgeon Bay from Langlade County.
Lots of replies from people who don't live here.
A BCD996P2 is all you need here. Maybe a BCD536HP if you like a little "fancier" text display than the 996P2. I have both and my 536HP is deaf compared to my 996P2.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
Same here Jn2022, welcome to the RR. There are so many people here on the RR that can help you.

OK, first of all let me say this. I see where the OP says he needs a phase 2 P25 capable scanner. However I also see
where Jn2022 joined the RR on Feb 26, 2022 and has 3 posts and may not be aware of the Unication G4 or G5 Pagers.

Everytime someone mentions Simulcast distortion it's brought up that you have to get the SDS 100 or the SDS 200.
Not true. Hardly anyone evers mentions the Unication pagers which can handle Simulcast perfectly.

I went through this when researching the SDS's thinking they were the only way to deal with Simulcast in my area.
After researching I decided to go with the G-4 Pager. Which I bought two of them. Big shout out to Ray's Pager Sales.
Great customer service.

I have a WS1098 which I leave on 24/7 until two weeks ago when I got the G-4's. Man am I impressed. Cystral clear
reception and the speaker is very clear. I didn't realize what I was mising not having a scanner or pager that could
handle Simulcast.

That's where I was getting confused by the word pager when I was doing my research. I keep telling myself I don't need
a pager, I need a scanner. So glad I went with the G-4. So maybe OP is not aware of the G-4 or G-5 Unication pagers

OK, enough said, I have to go to the bank and get a loan. I have to put gas in my truck and go grocery shopping.

Stay Safe Everyone
TIM
I’d agree with this 100%! The Unication Pagers are superb receivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.