PSR500/PSR600: P25 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc9dgh

I have a friend that has a Grecom PSR-500 scanner. The city we live in is set up on a P25 system. His scanner is showing what looks like the right system but nothing is coming over it. I know the channel is active because I have a Uniden BCD536HP and I am listening to the city police on it. (No programing to that. I just entered my zip code and when it stopped on that channel I just hit the hold button)
So my question is, what can we do to get this thing working again? (He used to hear the police department but now the scanner is quiet. Must have hit a button or something.)

Ultimately this is what he wants to monitor...

City of Fond du Lac Police (P25)
City of Fond du Lac fire paging (P25)
Fond du Lac County Sheriff (Analog)
Fond du Lac County Fire paging (Analog)
Fond du Lac County Fire dispatch (Analog)

Is it possible to have this scanner scanning a P25 system and analog channels at the same time?

Here is a link to the county in question...
Fond Du Lac County, Wisconsin (WI) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Can anyone help me out? Thank you.

djeplett

Hello from New London,

Does your friend have programming software for his scanner? If not, I highly recommend Don Starr's Win500. Here's his website:
Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197, 651, 652), Whistler (WS1040, WS1065), and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners

If he pays for a subscription to Radio Reference and then gets Don's software and pays for it he should be able to import anything he wants to listen to from here by going into Win500 and clicking on File->Web Import->Radio Reference. The software makes it very easy to program these radios this way.

After he does that you should post any questions in the Wisconsin forum here on RR.com and there will be folks who can help you and him. It's possible the city of Fond Du Lac has a simulcast system and maybe his PSR-500 is experiencing simulcast distortion. I'm up in New London and I'm on the edge of hearing Fondy county and city PD so I might not have the same issues if I listen in up here, so I can't say for sure that simulcast is his problem.

Yes, it is possible to scan both P25 digital and analog at the same time with the PSR-500. More than likely the problem he's having is programming related so I recommend the software and paying for a subscription here.

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
PSR-500

I would first set up a wildcard talkgroup which would let you hear "everything" on the system. Make sure you have the system type and control channel frequencies properly programmed in your TSYS object.

kc9dgh

Thank you for the replies. Oy. Scanning sure has changed since I was big into it 20 years ago.

bigcam406

after going over the link for your area,heres what i found. site 114 has the 2 control channels for your area. remember to program the system in as a VHF p25 system. all of the info is there. if you have any problems,check the easier to read section in the WIKI section,it will put you on the right path. and yes you can scan analogue freq's while scanning the trunk system at the same time. just make sure its on the same scanlist

kc9dgh

Hello from New London,

Does your friend have programming software for his scanner? If not, I highly recommend Don Starr's Win500. Here's his website:
Software for RadioShack PRO-series (PRO-92, 93, 95, 96, 97, 99, 163, 164, 106, 197, 651, 652), Whistler (WS1040, WS1065), and GRE PSR-series (PSR-500, 600, 300, 400, 310, 410) scanners

Can you email me or add me on Facebook. I have some questions for you but I guess because I am new here I do not have privileges to e-mail or send private messages.

draflik@gannett.com
or
https://www.facebook.com/dougraflik

Status
Not open for further replies.