• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

P25 Simplex XTS5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew7262

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I recently bought a couple XTS5000's and was trying to figure out how to setup them for use on p25 phase 1 in simplex mode with no repeater. Cant find a tutorial online. I am still very new to the ASTRO CPS, Can someone please give me some steps on how to do this or attach a video if you know of one? Thanks in advance.
Drew

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
program frequency, set tx mode to astro. What band radio are you using? Do you have a license to use as any frequency that can be legally used in p25 mode requires an license.

drew7262

Premium Subscriber
i am still in the process of fcc licensing vhf band. using these radios for farm operations

ElevatorsAndRadios

yarewesog
Premium Subscriber
P25 for farm operations seems a little overkill
If you think digital simplex for farming is overkill, wait until you hear about the farmers using digital trunking. I'm from California and there's a commercial trunked DMR network that offers airtime through a subscription fee. It has a LOT of farming talkgroups on it. With the amount of surplus equipment hitting the market at such a competitive pricepoint, P25 may actually be a cheaper and simpler option compared to the prior alternative. And with many analog portables and DMR portables going for prices not much cheaper than XTS5000s, I don't fault OP in the slightest for paying for a more robust and rugged product. And if they have digital capabilities, why not take advantage of it! I wish OP the best of luck in learning the software and hope they achieve a high ROI on their new purchase :)

@drew7262 feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions about programming. I am happy to help!

Last edited:

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
program frequency, set tx mode to astro. What band radio are you using? Do you have a license to use as any frequency that can be legally used in p25 mode requires an license.
I’m interested to know what you mean by this… as long as OP has a ham license, they can operate P25 simplex with other hams, or run a P25 repeater. Just make sure transmissions are in-band, nothing is encrypted and everyone properly identifies.

-B

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
I’m interested to know what you mean by this… as long as OP has a ham license, they can operate P25 simplex with other hams, or run a P25 repeater. Just make sure transmissions are in-band, nothing is encrypted and everyone properly identifies.

-B
Basically there is no license free services that can use p25 digital. All require some form of FCC license.

BMDaug

I am licensed…
Premium Subscriber
I read your post as ‘commercial license’. My bad. Sometimes I take for granted people having ham licenses. In my case I have both because I have a small rental fleet of VHF P25C radios running AES256…

-B

drew7262

Premium Subscriber
I'm still stuck on how to program this directly into CPS, I'm looking for someone to please give a step by step on how to put this into CPS. We received our frequency today, 153.035 random frequency for privacy reasons. But I'm having trouble interring this into cps as p25 simplex, It wants a system key but we are not using a repeater therefore we do not have a system key. If someone could please go into detail it would help a lot. Thanks
Drew

prcguy

Since there are FCC rules on narrowbanding for commercial frequencies I would recommend you have someone that knows how to program the radio not only for P25 but who knows the requirements for narrow band. Your FCC license also must have the specific emission designator for P25 digital in narrow band for you to legally use P25 on your licensed frequency. From what I'm reading in this thread the OP doesn't have the info to pull this off correctly.

You can play all day on amateur radio and make some mistakes but I don't recommend doing that on commercial frequencies. There is a reason why commercial radios do not come with keypad programming except for special applications.

I'm still stuck on how to program this directly into CPS, I'm looking for someone to please give a step by step on how to put this into CPS. We received our frequency today, 153.035 random frequency for privacy reasons. But I'm having trouble interring this into cps as p25 simplex, It wants a system key but we are not using a repeater therefore we do not have a system key. If someone could please go into detail it would help a lot. Thanks
Drew

DeoVindice

P25 Underground
Essentially, create a conventional personality with TX and RX types both set to Astro (Motorola's trade name for P25), set the radio ID in the Astro System menu, select the personality you created in the Zone/Channel window, and set TX/RX frequencies and NACs as required. There's a LOT more to it but that's the very basics.

Regarding P25 for farming - we use P25 for mining and have been nothing but happy with it. As explosives, valuable equipment, and proprietary information are often discussed, AES was a no-brainer.

KevinC

Other
Super Moderator
Drew

They are probably ASK protected.

drew7262

Premium Subscriber
Thank you all for your help. I was able to get all 12 of the radios going in ASTRO simplex. Excited to get these assigned to employees on monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.