P25RX display review

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
I wanted to let everyone know as much information as I can about the P25RX display module and now that I’ve had a chance to evaluate it, I will be posting a review of it here in the next day or so, so please stay tuned. I’ll be as fair and honest as I can be in my review so you can make the best decision as to whether the P25RX display add-on is right for you. I’ll also include some pics of it as well. Please be aware that I can be a bit verbose when I write, so I will apologize in advance now if it’s a bit lengthy to read.

pcman67

Premium Subscriber
Here is a review of the optional display module for the P25RX. These are my thoughts and opinions on it but yours may vary.

The P25RX display module is a touch enabled color display that allows you to interact with the P25RX without having to have a computer hooked up to it. It comes with a very simple plastic stylus to use to interact with the screen, however you can also use your fingers for touch, but a few of the on-screen buttons are small and better left to using the stylus.

Right now it it’s early stages, it mainly shows you the IQ symbols plot of the signal and basic information such as frequency, site ID, NAC, RFSS ID, RSSI, BLOCKS/SEC, SYS ID, current talk group ID (when it’s picked up a transmission). There are touch screen “buttons” that allow you to hold on a Talkgroup and mute the sound. There are also left and right “arrows” on the screen which allow you to change to different screens. Currently, the only screen is a volume control screen to adjust the volume.

As of right now, the display will not work in conjunction with the BTConfig software. If you wish to listen to audio or use the P25RX with BTConfig, you must unhook the display from the unit. This has to do with the USB mode being utilized from a programming standpoint. Todd did indicate that it may be possible to change the USB mode the display uses so that it possibly could work in conjunction with BTConfig without having to disconnect the display each time.

The display is easy to hook up. Instead of plugging the P25RX USB-C connector into the P25RX, you plug it into the power port of the display. Then, you plug a provided cable from the display unit into what would be the power port on the P25RX.

The display is basically mounted on a circuit board. To attach the display, I purchased some sticky Velcro type strips so that the display unit can be firmly adhered to the top of the P25RX unit, but can be detached if desired. I can provide you with the specific strips I am using that I bought off of Amazon, feel free to PM me for that info.

I would like to eventually get an enclosure for the P25RX and display unit, and after looking around at what’s out there, I’m sort of thinking a 3-D custom printed enclosure might be the way to go if one has the ability and means to design such an enclosure (I currently do not).

The display unit (including circuit board) measures 4 inches wide by 2 inches tall and the display itself is 2 inches wide by 1 1/2 inches in actual viewable display with the display screen measuring about 2 1/4” wide by 1 3/4 tall overall. These are not exact measurements but close.

I like using the display module with a Bluetooth speaker, however the display does have an audio line-out jack and a headphone/speaker out jack.

The display is very responsive to touch both using the stylus and with fingertip usage. The display updates the text/graphics quickly and it seems to view very well at all angles and in most light conditions.

The display and P25RX combination does draw more power, so I’ve been using a 2.1A USB power plug to ensure there is enough juice to power both units.

Todd has indicated that the display module will get the same attention as the P25RX does and even though there aren’t many options featured on the display at the present time, that is most likely to change as more users purchase and use the display and it evolves.

I will post some pics of the display in a separate post in this section so you can see the current screens offered.

All in all, I am very pleased with the display and it is nice to see what the P25RX is doing while on the go and without having a computer tethered to it.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you may have and I’ll try to answer them the best I can, or Todd can chime in.

Last edited:

pcman67

Premium Subscriber
Here is a pic of the “main” screen and also the “volume” screen. The only two screens available at this time.

Attachments

• DB6DEE6F-10F9-473B-AD6D-CF8C45FE6EB4.jpeg
    DB6DEE6F-10F9-473B-AD6D-CF8C45FE6EB4.jpeg
    115.9 KB · Views: 125
  • 3BE5C5D1-494F-475F-A397-79ED4AE26ED6.jpeg
    3BE5C5D1-494F-475F-A397-79ED4AE26ED6.jpeg
    111.7 KB · Views: 115

btt

Banned
Banned
Status
Not open for further replies.