P25RX Firmware Updates / Testing

btt

Banned
Banned
@btt not 100% definitive. But I turned off the scrolling and BTConfig has not locked up in 3 days.

😞probably will now that I’ve reported.
That gives a hint of something to try. Please test 2021-08-22_1100 when you have a chance.

epersson

Feed Provider
That gives a hint of something to try. Please test 2021-08-22_1100 when you have a chance.
Not that I’m chicken… but I’m 1500 miles away from it. Any chance I’ll lose connection to it?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I have been using 2021-08-22_1100 and I have been holding on a single talkgroup for over 24 hours, and I have not noted the issues that I have previously reported, i.e., the signal strength bars disappear and the Console stops scrolling. Seems to be working as intended.

However, I have been monitoring the same talkgroup with a commercial hand held radio, and I notice there is a delay between when the audio is received on the commercial hand held radio and the P25RX, something like one second. This sometimes seems to cause missed replies or conversations cut off on the P25RX.

freqseeker

I have been running 8-22 11:00 for a couple of days now. No failure. It's hard to say when it will fail. I rarely hold on a talkgroup and only monitor one system at a time. When I get failures it can happen back to back days, or go over a week.
I figured it was the system I am monitoring somehow as it exhibits strange behavior such as low BLKS with good signal strength and good decode. This will be a tough one to figure out. I'm not sure if this only happens in Windows or not (too lazy to read through it again) but I wouldn't be surprised if it's a Windows issue. Having to restart isn't a big issue for me.
Thanks again Todd for your dedication.

Reactions: btt

epersson

Feed Provider
However, I have been monitoring the same talkgroup with a commercial hand held radio, and I notice there is a delay between when the audio is received on the commercial hand held radio and the P25RX, something like one second. This sometimes seems to cause missed replies or conversations cut off on the P25RX.
@btt Did you see this? I've never noticed it with the sds100 and P25rx.

btt

Banned
Banned
I have been using 2021-08-22_1100 and I have been holding on a single talkgroup for over 24 hours, and I have not noted the issues that I have previously reported, i.e., the signal strength bars disappear and the Console stops scrolling. Seems to be working as intended.

@btt Did you see this? I've never noticed it with the sds100 and P25rx.

Please test version 2021-08-26_1203. Does that help with the delay? There are multiple layers of delays. The line-out, Bluetooth (extra delay), and BTConfig software are all going to be different. The line-out jack should be the least delay.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I am using the audio from the PC in all my tests. I will test _1203.

The worst part is when holding on a talkgroup, I get large portions of the conversation cut off or missing altogether; beginning, end, missed replies, etc.

EDIT: Testing _1203. I can't get any audio at all from PC speakers, from either Windows 10 or Linux Mint 19.3. I didn't try bluetooth.

Last edited:

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
_1321 has audio. But it will not allow me to hold on a talkgroup.

Console>Enter Commands>f 12070 <enter> does not hold on this or any other talkgroup; no traffic is heard, even though it reports that it is holding on 12070.

Console>Enter Commands>f <enter> reports that it is unholding on 12070, and it resumes scanning of all talkgroups in the system.

btt

Banned
Banned
_1321 has audio. But it will not allow me to hold on a talkgroup.

Console>Enter Commands>f 12070 <enter> does not hold on this or any other talkgroup; no traffic is heard, even though it reports that it is holding on 12070.

Console>Enter Commands>f <enter> reports that it is unholding on 12070, and it resumes scanning of all talkgroups in the system.
I could not reproduce this issue. I was able to further reduce the audio delays in version 2021-08-26_1423. An issue with P2 audio was discovered today that was probably the source of the very large delays and missing audio you reported. 08-26_1423 should fix this issue.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
After exiting and restarting _1321, I was then able to hold on talkgroups.

I can live with the small delays, it's the missing audio that is problematic. I will try _1423.

Thanks!

Mike_G_D

Just FYI, Todd, your link for the latest version yields a file missing the first "e" in its file extension (so instead of .exe it is .xe). Just FYI.

btt

Banned
Banned
Just FYI, Todd, your link for the latest version yields a file missing the first "e" in its file extension (so instead of .exe it is .xe). Just FYI.
Thank you! It is fixed. Hope that didn't cause too many issues for people that downloaded it.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Please test version 2021-08-26_1203. Does that help with the delay? There are multiple layers of delays. The line-out, Bluetooth (extra delay), and BTConfig software are all going to be different. The line-out jack should be the least delay. (should be around 100ms)

Indeed. Most (but not all) Bluetooth equipment has significant delay. I run Bluetooth speakers all over the house hooked up to various stuff. If I'm using bluetooth from the PC that my amateur radio stuff is on, and I have my HF radio on and listening to both its speaker and the bluetooth speaker output, it's delayed enough to be annoying. Not really the fault of any of the speakers / P25RX but just the nature of BT.

pcman67

Radio and electronics enthusiast since the ‘70’s
Premium Subscriber
Version 2021-08-26_1423 seems to be running really well for me. No issues noted so far in my testing.

epersson

Feed Provider
@btt Just an FYI, tried to update to 1423 and lost connection to it again, seeing if I can get someone to reset it so I can nuke it. Seems to happen after its been running for a few weeks,. This time 2 weeks.