Parkinson's and Micro SD Cards

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Well, Now I've gone and done it. A guy with Parkinson's tries to replace a tiny little micro SD card in a SDS100. It was a disaster from the start. I used as pencil eraser to slide the card door open. Good. Card popped up and I removed it. Tried to replace the perfectly good card from Uniden for a 16GB card. The damn card would not seat properly. Over and over again I tried to seat it, but never did get in in there right. The door only partially closed. I put the battery back in and was ready to "clear user data" and prepare the new card. No such luck; kept getting a card error that card was full. Unfortunately it was defaulting to my "D" drive on my computer. Guess what..I wiped out my entire drive D. Woo Hoo.

Not one to give up, back I went and tried to seat the card in. This time the metal door broke off. I tried for an hour to fix it. To small for me; never did fix it.

Here is why I love Amazon, and will always be a customer. I called them, explained what happened and that with Parkinson's I just cannot hold my fingers steady, so they are sending me out a brand new SDS100. The issue now is will I get a new SDS100 that worked as well as this one did? More worry.

So I've learned my lesson; if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Gotta run now; must box up a perfectly good scanner!

Greg

wowologist

Certifiable
..hey if that falls through...you could always livestream with seats, say 10$ a head...and empty 3-4 9mm mags into the SDS100. With the amount of UNsatisfied customers and such that the SDS scammers er scanners have acquired since release. You'd prob. come out with enough to get a SDS200 and livestream that too!

greggk

Premium Subscriber
LOL. Good Suggestion. My SDS100 worked like a charm; I blew it. Again, I can only hope that my new one will work as well (I would like a SDS200 tho...).

EDIT: Anyone here see my "D" Drive ? geeesh.

Saint

Premium Subscriber
Well, Now I've gone and done it. A guy with Parkinson's tries to replace a tiny little micro SD card in a SDS100. It was a disaster from the start. I used as pencil eraser to slide the card door open. Good. Card popped up and I removed it. Tried to replace the perfectly good card from Uniden for a 16GB card. The damn card would not seat properly. Over and over again I tried to seat it, but never did get in in there right. The door only partially closed. I put the battery back in and was ready to "clear user data" and prepare the new card. No such luck; kept getting a card error that card was full. Unfortunately it was defaulting to my "D" drive on my computer. Guess what..I wiped out my entire drive D. Woo Hoo.

Not one to give up, back I went and tried to seat the card in. This time the metal door broke off. I tried for an hour to fix it. To small for me; never did fix it.

Here is why I love Amazon, and will always be a customer. I called them, explained what happened and that with Parkinson's I just cannot hold my fingers steady, so they are sending me out a brand new SDS100. The issue now is will I get a new SDS100 that worked as well as this one did? More worry.

So I've learned my lesson; if it isn't broke, don't fix it. Gotta run now; must box up a perfectly good scanner!

Greg
Don't feel bad I took my SD Card out of my SDS100 scanner and had hell of a time getting the card door to lock correctly, I don't no if it ever closed the right way or not but after 45 minutes put the battery back and it's working again. will be a cold day before I go near the SDS card door again.
Steve

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve. I should have known better but thought my perfectly working sds100 would be happier with a 16GB card. I should have left well enough alone. I had the same experience with my 436, but was able to repair the door with steady hands.

PS: Still looking for my "D" Drive.

slicerwizard

..hey if that falls through...you could always livestream with seats, say 10$ a head...and empty 3-4 9mm mags into the SDS100. With the amount of UNsatisfied customers and such that the SDS scammers er scanners have acquired since release. You'd prob. come out with enough to get a SDS200 and livestream that too!
No offense, but would he hit the target?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I did a system restore. No damage that I can see but I still do not have a "D"drive. And now I can spend the next week worrying if my new scanner will do the great job mine had been doing. :unsure: Thats the game of life! Greg

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am shocked that a device on USB could look back at the host computer and format its drive. I will be a lot more careful what I hang on my computer in the future.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I am shocked that a device on USB could look back at the host computer and format its drive. I will be a lot more careful what I hang on my computer in the future.

You might want to tell Uniden that that happened. They should make sure it never happens.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Good point about notifying Uniden. Still, I'm not so sure they were at fault. I knew this was not formatting the SD card, wasn't sure where it was going, and I pressed okay. One thing tho: just before I pressed OKAY. I got a warning that this would erase all data on the SCANNER. But I think the software, or something else, thought the scanner was on drive "D". I don't really know what happened. Thanks. GREG

werinshades

Premium Subscriber
Good point about notifying Uniden. Still, I'm not so sure they were at fault. I knew this was not formatting the SD card, wasn't sure where it was going, and I pressed okay. One thing tho: just before I pressed OKAY. I got a warning that this would erase all data on the SCANNER. But I think the software, or something else, thought the scanner was on drive "D". I don't really know what happened. Thanks. GREG

Once you Cleared User Data (I'm guessing that's what you mean?), did you check the box Display all Drives?

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin

You might want to tell Uniden that that happened. They should make sure it never happens.
It has nothing to do with a USB device. The Clear User Data routine is a function of the Sentinel software, and can be used to make any removable drive ready, whether or not it's attached via USB (as a scanner might be). This includes the microSD card in a card reader, or any other drive on the PC that is flagged as removable. Sentinel never displays non-removable drives such as HDD/SSD host drives. It appears that the OP has some sort of removable drive assigned the letter D, and that's what he accidentally overwrote. It's really not a Uniden issue, as Sentinel must be able to display removable drives in order to format a microSD card in the first place.

kruser

Premium Subscriber
Uniden fixed the possibility of formatting a "fixed" hard drive with Sentinel many versions ago after someone had formatted their C drive.
Like GTR8000 said, drives flagged as removable will not show up in Sentinel even when the Display all Drives box is checked.

I have a fairly new Lenovo tower that will not work with Sentinel when upgraded to Win 10. Even though Win Explorer shows my removable drives as removable, something prevents that fact from getting to Sentinel so Sentinel will never see any drive.
Oddly the same computer works fine with Win 7 and Sentinel. I tried a clean install of Win 10 and had the same problem so I gave up and replaced the machine with an even newer HP machine I had sitting here.
During my searches about my Sentinel SD card not showing up on my Lenovo is when I learned about Uniden fixing Sentinel so it could not format a fixed drive.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
With the SDS100 in USB Mass Storage, the scanner shows up as USB Drive D on my computer. That is normal.
Thanks Jim. Sentinel was pointing to Drive D/Scanner; However, and again my fault as I pushed the button, I have always had Drive C and Drive D. Drive D was a formatted drive to store my backups on. This is how the computer was when I bought it. TWO drives, C and D. The only reason I clicked D was because it said: Drive D /Scanner.

What It should have said was D / Hard drive. What I should have done was investigate further.

I did refresh and asked to show all drives. It showed, again, Drive D/ Scanner. That is as plain as I can put it.
Again, I was ultimately at fault cuz I knew what drive D really was. It was a smaller partition on my hard drive, along with the large partition...Drive C. Enough huh? I can't change it, I'm not happy about it, but thank God I didn't lose my entire hard drive.
By the way, I do have a DRIVE E, which is an external hard drive used for backup. That drive never showed up as an option; If it had, I would never mess with Drive E without knowing exactly what I was doing. Greg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.