PC browser issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
I could really use some tech support on a used Dell PC I currently picked up for SDR use.

PC is a Dell desktop computer, 2.0GB RAM, Intel Celeron 2.19GHz CPU, currently running Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit. IE is my web browser. Only antivirus is Microsoft Security Essential. Windows 7 is set to update automatically so I believe all my programs are up to date.

Problem #1...
IE is my current browser and when I try to go to certain websites such as Yahoo, Google or my gmail, all I get is a blank page. Any other site loads fine. I need to access my gmail in order to gain access to the Kaspersky antivirus download.

Problem #2...
I would like also change my web browser to Mozilla, but when I hit the "download" button on the Mozilla page, nothing happens. I check my download folder and it is not there.

Problem #3...
I have tried to download a driver for the printer I am trying to use, but I can not seem to download it either. The printer is a Dell Photo AIO 922.

I have turned off my Windows firewall and tried to access the above sites with no luck, so I turned my firewall back on. Bing seems to be the only search engine I can access. I even uninstalled the Bing Bar thinking that would help but not luck. Is it possible all these issues are related?

CapStar362

use another computer and grab the following programs....

ADW Cleaner
ComboFix

reboot into safemode, and run them.

ADW will reboot when done, as will ComboFix.

did you get this PC Used WITH user data still on it? you probably still have a ton of stuff on it from that user. time for a reload of OS

topgun1986

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for delayed reply. Long fourth of July weekend.

I believe he wiped the PC clean before I bought it , but his favorites are still on here as well as some PC games I believe he downloaded.

"use another computer and grab the following programs...."
I'm unsure what you mean here. Should I not download ADW Cleaner and Combo Fix right to this PC?

If I reload the OS (which I have never done before on a PC) would that solve my problems as well?

Thanks for the help.

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I believe he wiped the PC clean before I bought it , but his favorites are still on here as well as some PC games I believe he downloaded.

If his favorites and games are still on the PC, then he didn't wipe it clean.

"use another computer and grab the following programs...."
I'm unsure what you mean here. Should I not download ADW Cleaner and Combo Fix right to this PC?

You'd have to download it on another PC and then transfer it to the first PC using a thumb drive, CD, network connection, etc. If the download functionality on the first PC isn't working right, then this is your only alternative.

If I reload the OS (which I have never done before on a PC) would that solve my problems as well?

Reloading the OS resets your PC's software configuration to the way it was when it was new. It's a brute-force way of fixing the PC, but it does work. Your PC probably has some sort of reload or repair function that will do the reset for you.

I like to reload the OS on my PCs every two or three years ... it cleans out the junk.

CapStar362

reloading the OS is the SURE FIRE way to make sure NOTHING remains... best way to do this.... DELETE the existing partition first in the OS Setup. then create a new one for the OS reload. you will have a much faster system with a new OS and no junk in it to start off with.

i also noted something, you are running a 64 bit OS with only 2GB of ram? your wasting a good portion of the RAM for WOW64 System files and services that you cant even use, much less if you tried, would run out of RAM to begin with, forcing a almost UN-responsive OS by dumping everything to Page file which is 1000X slower than RAM. switch it out for 32Bit.

with 64Bit on 2GB of RAM, a bare installation with no additions, your already consuming about 40% of your RAM just for the 64 Bit OS "Extra" services and additions for 64 bit processing. with 32, that drops to about 20-24%. 40% of 2GB is a HUGE chunk just for OS, vs. a 32 bit install, if you ask me.

64Bit is generally used for when you have 4GB or more, 32Bit RAM limitations @ 3.32 GB of addressable memory is why they developed 64bit which puts it to ( in your case ) 16GB for Win7 64 Bit Home Premium.

Status
Not open for further replies.