Places that sold radio equipment in the Capital District

Status
Not open for further replies.

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
I was just thinking about some of the places that sold scanner/CB equipment in the Capital District and how I don't know of any that are still in existence. Obviously we had Scanner World (still in existence but no longer selling scanners, just basic antennas) and Radio Shack is just a shell of what it was. I think I recall going to Scanner World before it was where it is now (maybe New Scotland Avenue in Albany?)

I remember a small shop on Broadway in Schenectady about 20 years ago (near the intersection with Guilderland Avenue) that had some scanners and CB stuff. I bought a CB mic there.I also remember a store in Gloversville around the same time that was called "Big Boys Toys" that had a few shelves filled with old scanners/CB equipment. It was on 29a near where you enter the city if I recall.

Anyone remember these places or any different ones? Are there any places like this still in existence?

eng5

Premium Subscriber
In the mid-70's, we always went to Radio Shack. I had two battery cards so we could hit both Colonie Center and Mohawk Mall.

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
I bought my first scanner at the Radio Shack in Glenville. Would have been early 90s but I can't recall the model. I wish I still had my second scanner, the Pro-2006.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I do remember the Scanner World on New Scotland Ave. I don't even remember why I went in there anymore. But I do remember that they were a surly bunch with the customer service skills of a rock.

Spec

Wow memories. I bought a few scanners from them by mail and a couple in store. I always thought it was me being there on a bad day. Very good analogy with the rock. :)

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
haha I guess they weren't used to selling to people face to face. Maybe mail/internet order was more of their thing because I experienced the same basic thing too when I would go in there.

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
I used to spend hours hanging around the old Lafayette store in Queens when I was in NYC visiting my grandparents.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
haha I guess they weren't used to selling to people face to face. Maybe mail/internet order was more of their thing because I experienced the same basic thing too when I would go in there.

Maybe that poor attitude cost them business over the years, as they've been reduced to selling radio accessories and "gemstones" only.

smp928s

Premium Subscriber
Its too bad as it would be nice to have a local store like that. I wish we had a Ham Radio Outlet closer (closest is Southern NH).

Status
Not open for further replies.