Plans for CB signal amp upgrade I saw on the web:

Status
Not open for further replies.

beamin

Premium Subscriber
Saw this posted on a truck forum a while back saved it because its genius!

Quote:

Most CB's are four watts or less but what if you want more power and longer range? Add an amp the same way you add one to your car stereo! Here is a quick tutorial for the beginner to CB radios. Watts consists of volts and Amps. To get more power you need both, but power sources are limited; the outlet will give you lots of volts but only 15 amps. A car battery will give you 600 amps but only 12 volts. So here is a home setup to combine the two. First you will need the following: wires and connectors to wire the amp between your CB ant out put and ant feed line. 2 AC extension cords with the bare three wires on one end, 8 ga wire with battery term connectors, 3 heavy duty 600 amp car batteries, wire connectors for tying the different sizes together. First to start we need voltage that’s where the outlet comes into play, take the black wire of each plug and join them together, then do the same with the white wire. Ignore the bare or green wire it doesn't do any thing and I don’t know why they put it on. Probably some government regulation we don’t need. By connecting the same colors together you are taking 110 volts at each outlet and multiplying it, giving you 24000 volts and boosting you to thirty amps, this is a good amount of watts but not enough for our CB. Here's where the car batteries come in. Wire all the red terminals together using the eight ga wire and your battery terminals then do the same for the black leaving each circuit open on the end. Now we know batteries are DC (stands for Dedicated Current) and the outlet is AC (Accelerating Charge ) which is different then our CBs output which is RF (RF stands for Radar Frequency) . So to make our currents compatible we are going to use the car batteries as an electronic signal mixer (ESM). At one end of the batteries connect the black lead of the outlet power to the black on the battery. This will form your positive voltage. Connect the white to the red and this will for your negative current where neutrons will flow threw the space between atoms in the wire. The batteries act as a filter evening out the accelerations in the AC when they are in a ratio of two outlets to three batteries. This because the have lead hydro chloric acid in them. Don’t try this with other ratios as it may do nothing or at worst pop a fuse! Now we have to get our watts into our antenna and our signal out of our CB. Take the antenna out circle or inner jack and connect it to the OTHER end of the batteries red or negative terminal. Then connect the black terminal to the antenna feed line. Make sure you reconnect the shielding so it forms a closed circuit back the CB to keep out interference from the cosmic microwave background radiation. This type of radiation can overload the GPS clock chip in the CB with Delta radiation from the sun. Now plug it all in and you will have a 22000 volt 900kA frequency modulated to 554,000kWh !!!!!! You should be able to talk to Australia with this set up! Just remember to twist the wire nuts tight and wind the whole thing in aluminum ducting tape.

Do you think it will work? Guy sounds educated!

Voyager

Genius? No. F'ing IDIOT, YES!

1. Amps are illegal on CB in the USA.

2. The green wire is for ground/safety. Anyone who knows what they are doing knows that.

3. Tying two outlets together from the same circuit will increase neither voltage nor amperage. Tying two different circuits together could burn your house down - especially if they come off two separate legs of the 220 line. What this guy is suggesting is STUPID IN THE EXTREME!

3a. Case in point. I'm sure you have power strips. Does that strip divide the power so your lights get dimmer? NO! Neither will combining the same circuit after it is separated create more power.

4. AC is Alternating Current. DC is Direct Current. Again - electronics 101 - don't trust anyone who doesn't know this for advice.

5. RF is Radio Frequency. Again - electronics 101.

6. Connecting a battery directly to AC power will result in an explosion and fire. Why do you think they make battery chargers as opposed to just connecting the extension cord to the battery to charge it?

(are you getting the point yet?)

7. The black on AC is HOT - the black on DC is ground. NEVER connect the two!

8. Aluminum duct tape? You mean the kind that conducts? NEVER use conductive tape on any electrical wire.

There is likely much more but I can't read any more of that pure drivel. It's painful for any competent person to read, and was likely posted on April 1st of some year.

In summary, the guy is trying to con you into burning your house down and/or killing yourself. DON'T DO IT!!!

Last edited:

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Beamin, Voyager is spot on.. I think your article there is tongue and cheek at least I hope so. Follow it and someone is going to get hurt.

JayMojave

Hello Beamin: Yeah what they said, its all hog wash. Technically way out there wrong. Doing any thing that it said to do will require a fire extsingshier and a mental check up.....

Jay in the Great Mojave Desert

mancow

Database Admin
This is the only forum I visit that literally has no sense of humor. Everything is taken literally.

Last edited by a moderator:

N4GIX

Premium Subscriber
The problem with such a "joke" is that there are some who'd take them seriously. Such folks usually wind up in the ER afterwards, if not the morgue.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
The problem with such a "joke" is that there are some who'd take them seriously. Such folks usually wind up in the ER afterwards, if not the morgue.

Yep. The article is funny to those who have the knowledge. It is Darwinian to those who do not.

Sent via Tapatalk

beamin

Premium Subscriber
When I said "genius" the sentence was dripping with sarcasm. I learned Ohm's law at the age of 10 so I don't think that "circuit" would work very well; although I would like to see someone try it while I stood behind bullet proof glass. I think the person that wrote that DIY was doing a horrible job trying to sound intelligent.

Back on topic:

If I wanted more power could I just add a power strip like Voyager suggested?

Voyager

This is the only forum I visit that literally has no sense of humor. Everything is taken literally.

Likely due to the lack of smileys indicating humor.

Of course the alternative is to endorse the project then be responsible for the consequences. I would find no humor in killing someone or having them burn down their home. If you find that funny, well, no further comment. I take injury or home loss very seriously.

I can EASILY see where someone would try that because it's presented in such a way that is plausible-sounding. IOW, there are a lot of people out there who don't know any better. Should we just keep them in the dark all in the name of humor?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I think anyone who would actually try this would have done themselves in long before this point. Either by forgetting to breath, or staring up at the rain and drowning. I doubt we have to worry about this actually happening. While many like to think those outside their specific hobby/industry are the unintelligent and unwashed masses, the reality is that just isn't the case.
I understand it's fun for some to think that, but it doesn't make it true.

I'm sure somebody can dig up something similar to this that actually happened (a-la Darwin awards), but I think getting bent out of shape about this is taking things a bit too far.

Remember, it's the internet, it's not all true, and it's OK to simply ignore things we don't like.

I for one found it humorous, which is obviously the intent of the post. But like Voyager said, some people don't comprehend humor without the string of emoji's.

Status
Not open for further replies.