Police code "Lingo"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpbailey

I need help with finding out what these mean. I can find some of them with a google search but others no luck. Is there a book or something out there that tell what these are?

(Medford, Somerville, Malden)

19-46 ?
21-32 ?

a few more 20-XX's and 19-XX's too

Any help? Thanks

garys

Premium Subscriber
LOL! I was trying to figure this out since very few police departments in eastern MA have used codes since about the mid 1970s. Transit PD, MSP, New Bedford, Fall River, are the ones that come to mind. Other than that, it's all pretty much clear speech.

N1BHH

The national trend set forth by APCO and now the Department of Homeland Security, has been to use plain language in all transmissions. Brockton Police is one agency which still uses 10-codes, there are a few others, but for the most part not many use 10-codes. Some still use signals (State Police), Miscellaneous Codes (Boston Police) and that's about all.

garys

Premium Subscriber
The national trend set forth by APCO and now the Department of Homeland Security, has been to use plain language in all transmissions. Brockton Police is one agency which still uses 10-codes, there are a few others, but for the most part not many use 10-codes. Some still use signals (State Police), Miscellaneous Codes (Boston Police) and that's about all.

I forgot about Brockton! And I live right near there and listen all the time. The DHS backed off the original mandate and now only requires plain language during Interop communications.

bumpbailey

LOL! I was trying to figure this out since very few police departments in eastern MA have used codes since about the mid 1970s. Transit PD, MSP, New Bedford, Fall River, are the ones that come to mind. Other than that, it's all pretty much clear speech.

I have a hard time with the State Police. Maybe over time I will learn them.

What is "requesting to go portable" with the local PDs? Is it just going away from the car?

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
"Request to go portable" sounds like a request for a meal break or potty break. Maybe at one time they did not have good coverage with the portable radios, so this would be a heads up to the dispatcher that the unit might not acknowledge immediately (or clearly) by radio when called. Peter Sz

Status
Not open for further replies.