SDS100/SDS200: police scanner and technical functionality

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM707

Premium Subscriber
Pro Tip: sometimes a low-tech approach works best. Recruit a bunch of kids in the neighborhood to act as lookouts. Give them FRS radios and train them to use a secret code word like “The Man” when they see a po-lice car.

GROL

wow, does that actually work? looks like a scam to me.
Below is the money back guarantee. They keep 30% restocking fee and you lose any installation costs and all shipping fees. So it will cost you big bucks just to try one. They don't seem to have confidence in their own product, and I can think of dozens of reasons why it will not work. Besides, if it has been installed then removed, how could it possibly be in new condition?

And what about VASCAR, Laser and just plain old pacing with an unmarked patrol car?

Copied from the product website.
"If you are unsatisfied with Sherlock the Police Detector, you can return it within 30 days for your money back less a restocking fee of 30% and does not include shipping cost to/from Sherlock Microwave. Please state the reason you are returning the product.

The Installation Kits and Installation cost at our cerified Installers is not refundable.

The items must be returned in new and resaleable condition along with the original packaging. Notify us at sherlocksales@thepolicedetector.com to receive an "RMA" number (Return Materials Authorization). We will NOT accept returns without an RMA."

Last edited:

GROL

Below is the money back guarantee. They keep 30% restocking fee and you lose any installation costs and all shipping fees. So it will cost you big bucks just to try one. They don't seem to have confidence in their own product, and I can think of dozens of reasons why it will not work. Besides, if it has been installed then removed, how could it possibly be in new condition?

And what about VASCAR, Laser and just plain old pacing with an unmarked patrol car?

Copied from the product website.
"If you are unsatisfied with Sherlock the Police Detector, you can return it within 30 days for your money back less a restocking fee of 30% and does not include shipping cost to/from Sherlock Microwave. Please state the reason you are returning the product.

The Installation Kits and Installation cost at our cerified Installers is not refundable.

The items must be returned in new and resaleable condition along with the original packaging. Notify us at sherlocksales@thepolicedetector.com to receive an "RMA" number (Return Materials Authorization). We will NOT accept returns without an RMA."

Wow, it even says it can detect Pacing and VASCAR. This is good indication it does not work. VASCAR has no idle microwave energy. Maybe the Police officer's brain emits microwave energy when Pacing or operating VASCAR.

Ubbe

It says patent pending on their website. Does that mean that they have filed for a patent and those papers are public, or will be public if they are granted a patent?

"Unique microwave signature pattern". They have an example video that talks about "Static Microwave Pattern Recognition" using WiFi signals that can only detect if an object are in motion from the doppler effect and their antennas in the car looks like WiFi panel antennas. It can detect 90% of police cars with very few false alarms. I cannot see any technology that can detect a parked police car that waits to measure your speed or catch anyone rolling by a stop sign.

/Ubbe

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Hello, I am currently about to buy a police scanner sds100 uniden and what i am looking for exactly is to detect the presence of law enforcement officials nearby by only picking the signal (such between 1 and 5 mile away) but i am not 100 percent sure if this device can only pick cell tower repeaters , and unfortunately I cannot find enough information about it. Does anybody here can help me tell me if this device fits for my technical purposes?

"OPTreadstone"......Jesus Christ its Jason Bourne! No wonder he wants to pick up local authorities! :cool:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I started down the rabbit hole with this product. Seems like an expensive radar detector. But, I guess if you are running a $500K super car, it's worth it.
Starting to wonder if this thread was started to stir up interest in the product. Looking at some of the radar detector forums, it seems questionable...
Waiting patiently for a new member named "PoliceDetector" to join….

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
I started down the rabbit hole with this product. Seems like an expensive radar detector. But, I guess if you are running a $500K super car, it's worth it.
Starting to wonder if this thread was started to stir up interest in the product. Looking at some of the radar detector forums, it seems questionable...
Waiting patiently for a new member named "PoliceDetector" to join….

Has Vortex said anything about it?
He'd call BS if it was - or if it was worth a damn...

OPTreadstone

That is not how it works.
LE (law enforcement) uses sites (towers) that both dispatch and the officers out in the field use to communicate.
They cover a much wider area then you are looking for.
Depending on the system and it's configuration - many miles more than 1 to 5...

There is something called close call, but I seriously doubt it'd be reliable enough for you.

Then, depending on where you are at - there is encryption. You will hear nothing no matter how far or close they are.

Now, if you want a scanner to hear what is going on in your county or city, that is another story (unless encrypted).
what exactly i am planning to do it is to program on my sds100 in a way to mimic the beartracker warning system of 885 model or Target BluEYE. just reporting transmissions just from LE talkgroups nearby. I think This should be totally possible with P25 systems since the uniden system is able to pick P25 Phase 1 and 2. I even do not care about that talks go full encrypted but i also need to configurate a beep sound alert when they appear

Status
Not open for further replies.