• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

POLL Cb Radio use by state

Robert831

Hi everyone

I was looking to get a poll of cb radio use by state.

Here in Massachusetts use is really limited to truckers.

niceguy71

I felt that way for a while too........ took me a long time to "TUNE" my ear to hear.... and a fellow member here told me to turn on Channel 27 in South Coast Massachusetts... there is always 5 or 6 guys talking on base stations in my town.... many times it's so busy, people go on channel 22 and that gets busy too so they also go to 17
I had a HandHeld CB with scan feature and would put it on scan on my coffee table with a 51" telescoping antenna... but it was inside the house and could not pick up anything...but I always had it on scan,,,, just let it go... never heard anything for 6 months... then a nice RadioReference guy from New Bedford Massachusetts told me about 27 ... so I turned that on here and there... I only spend a few minutes once in a while on the CB....... didn't hear anyone for a month??? finally I said anyone out there????.... and 4 people came back... and once we started talking more and more people jumped on.... Duxbury is 20 to 25 miles from me but a few great base stations out there always willing to say hello. same with Halifax.
I'm helping my friend range test his jeep a few months ago ... we put on channel 14 me on my base station and him in the Jeep.... I sent him out 15 miles to see how far we could get and we kept chatting back and forth.... in the 20 minutes we were range testing 5 people asked for a break and wanted to know where we were, and what we were using for equipment.... if we wen't talking the cb would have been dead.

I can go on my CB after 6PM to 10PM and there are three channels of people talking.... New Bedford is a pretty big city..... always several conversations... but they talk to Acushnet, Freetown, Fairhaven, Dartmouth, ( Dartmouth is another huge area of people) Mattapoisett, Fall River ( I can't talk to Fall River too far away)........ so that is to my south and I hear and talk to most of them them.... .... not too easily but most times....
I can also hear and easily talk to Plymouth Carver, Kingston, Wareham, Pembroke, Duxbury, Halifax, Middleboro, Plympton, Lakeville, Taunton, Raynham, Easton ( Easton is pushing it) but I know I have talked to Base Stations in each of these towns and many times mobiles.....

also there is quite a group of guys that talk on 38 LSB in the 30 mile circle of Boston and they never seem to shut up! they start talking after 7Pm to about 9Pm
now it's not like the 70's or the 80's... it's probably the same 25-30 guys every night.
during the day on channel 19 my base is pretty good and my mobile does a fantastic job too.... if I ask for a radio check I always get someone... not many people talking but they are always on there.... but I always turn my RF gain to max and my squelch all the way down before I ask if anyone is out there.......
are you on a Base or a mobile???? many mobiles antenna's don't receive very good.

niceguy71

I felt that way for a while too.
I also wonder if CB is more popular in my Massachusetts area because we have Lous CB Radio Repair and sales about 12 miles from my house.... not many CB repair shops left in the country.. I know when I go there it's amazing how popular he is... I see guys coming from Canada and all around the East coast to get work done by him... real nice guy... so I wonder how many people in the Bridgewater area have bought a radio or had one tuned up by Lou??? so my area may have more CB people around

niceguy71

Hi everyone

Robert are you still using that PRO501TK???? that's a handheld CB correct???? I have a few of them and they don't hear worth a damn.... and even with a good antenna only get out a couple miles.... I'm trying to remember your antenna??? was it a LiL Will???? that CB and a 3 foot antenna really will only work for a couple miles..... and even then sound weak.....there is so much noise on 19 that most of the Truckers turn the squelch up all most all the way so they are not bothered with all the noise..... they can still hear a good CB with a good 5 foot antenna..... within a couple miles... but that PRO501TK handheld is not really a good CB to hear people on.... most Handhelds are more Toys than real radios..... they do a great job for a mile .... and if you're in a caravan with two vehicles it will let you talk a mile or so... but it's really not a good working CB.
my CB in my F150 pickup always gets radio checks in the Bridgewater area... lot of food warehouses/ super markets in the area. my radio has a booming signal and really comes in STRONG on people's radios if they're within 7 wiles of me... and when a person gets hit with such a strong signal they generally respond...... and they always tell me how good my radio sounds ( I have a Astatic 575-m6 power mic that really puts my voice up front loud and proud)

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Hi everyone

I'm also in SE MA, I don't have a CB but scan the band occasionally to see what is out there. Even listening while driving the highway all I ever seem to hear are those clowns on superbowl 6 yammering away at 100mph from "the bayou"

WSAC829

Fairly quiet in northeast Wisconsin. Lots of semi-local people on sideband on various channels in the evenings from all around me. Most are 20 - 60 miles away. On quiet nights without DX rolling in I can talk to most of them. My farthest local SSB conversation was 63 miles away from me.

Other than that I'm a huge fan of shooting skip on AM. Talking to Jamaica or Australia from Wisconsin on channel 28 AM is a thing of beauty.

Robert831

Hi, nice guy I am actually using the Uniden pro 538HH with a mag mount antenna on the top of my vehicle on all my radio checks. I am told that I have a very strong signal so the radio works pretty well. I did have a mobile Cobra mini in here for a while, but this radio seems to help perform that with the mag mount, any suggestions? Should I try a bigger? I guess what are you guys think?

N1EXA

FT8 Huntin Mudd Duck on the deep end of the pond !
Acushnet Heights New Bedford MA - GRID FN41 mp
I felt that way for a while too........ took me a long time to "TUNE" my ear to hear.... and a fellow member here told me to turn on Channel 27 in South Coast Massachusetts... there is always 5 or 6 guys talking on base stations in my town.... many times it's so busy, people go on channel 22 and that gets busy too so they also go to 17
I had a HandHeld CB with scan feature and would put it on scan on my coffee table with a 51" telescoping antenna... but it was inside the house and could not pick up anything...but I always had it on scan,,,, just let it go... never heard anything for 6 months... then a nice RadioReference guy from New Bedford Massachusetts told me about 27 ... so I turned that on here and there... I only spend a few minutes once in a while on the CB....... didn't hear anyone for a month??? finally I said anyone out there????.... and 4 people came back... and once we started talking more and more people jumped on.... Duxbury is 20 to 25 miles from me but a few great base stations out there always willing to say hello. same with Halifax.
I'm helping my friend range test his jeep a few months ago ... we put on channel 14 me on my base station and him in the Jeep.... I sent him out 15 miles to see how far we could get and we kept chatting back and forth.... in the 20 minutes we were range testing 5 people asked for a break and wanted to know where we were, and what we were using for equipment.... if we wen't talking the cb would have been dead.

I can go on my CB after 6PM to 10PM and there are three channels of people talking.... New Bedford is a pretty big city..... always several conversations... but they talk to Acushnet, Freetown, Fairhaven, Dartmouth, ( Dartmouth is another huge area of people) Mattapoisett, Fall River ( I can't talk to Fall River too far away)........ so that is to my south and I hear and talk to most of them them.... .... not too easily but most times....
I can also hear and easily talk to Plymouth Carver, Kingston, Wareham, Pembroke, Duxbury, Halifax, Middleboro, Plympton, Lakeville, Taunton, Raynham, Easton ( Easton is pushing it) but I know I have talked to Base Stations in each of these towns and many times mobiles.....

also there is quite a group of guys that talk on 38 LSB in the 30 mile circle of Boston and they never seem to shut up! they start talking after 7Pm to about 9Pm
now it's not like the 70's or the 80's... it's probably the same 25-30 guys every night.
during the day on channel 19 my base is pretty good and my mobile does a fantastic job too.... if I ask for a radio check I always get someone... not many people talking but they are always on there.... but I always turn my RF gain to max and my squelch all the way down before I ask if anyone is out there.......
are you on a Base or a mobile???? many mobiles antenna's don't receive very good.
Freetown MA up north to Lakeville and out to Plymouth Area is 27AM
In New Bedford Shooting West out to Westport and East to Wareham it Ch24 AM and FM depending on the Mood.
The Litino Guys Guys in New Bedford Use Ch 9 AM and There is lots of Truck Dispatch and Yard Work in the South Terminal on Ch32.
There is a group Of Litino Freebanders below CH1 AM and A group Up on Ch44 27.445 SSB LSB and Locals doing DX on 27.455 SSB USB !
The Cape Cod Guys are always On 38 LSB.

Where ever you live There will be little Fishing Holes of Activity and More if your in A populated area. You just need to Hunt For them and Once you find it put an X on the bottom of the boat because you found the Fish !

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

N1EXA

Hi, nice guy I am actually using the Uniden pro 538HH with a mag mount antenna on the top of my vehicle on all my radio checks. I am told that I have a very strong signal so the radio works pretty well. I did have a mobile Cobra mini in here for a while, but this radio seems to help perform that with the mag mount, any suggestions? Should I try a bigger? I guess what are you guys think?
Its All about getting RF Energy out of that antenna - So size does matter - A Whip Antenna or Something Long with a coil and Going to Out Perform 102 Inches of Wire Coiled up and 2 feet long.
Any Way you look at it A 1/4 Wave Antenna on CB is Around 102+ Inches.

Pete N1EXA

N1EXA

I'm also in SE MA, I don't have a CB but scan the band occasionally to see what is out there. Even listening while driving the highway all I ever seem to hear are those clowns on superbowl 6 yammering away at 100mph from "the bayou"
Ive ran the the CB band Search on a few of my Unidens and I find it to be pretty Deaf. Running a Dedidcated Radio and a whip cut to the
band gived better results. Any LED Headlights or Fog Lights is a Killer in the car for Listening.

Pete N1EXA

niceguy71

I'm sure you probably already know... the Antenna is EVERYTHING... the best radio in the world can't do anything with a cheap antenna... but a cheap radio with a great antenna actually performs pretty well

Robert831 what are you using for an antenna and what kind of vehicle???​

as the great and all knowing SlowMover mentions, you have to have at least a 5 foot tall one.......I have learned this also and you need at least a 5 foot tall antenna to talk and hear more than a couple miles.
when you got the handheld I think it came with a one foot tall antenna mount mostly for emergencies... hopefully that's not what your using?...
the Cobra and the Midland and Lil Will antenna's really don't work more than two or three miles!

for a really good antenna drilling a hole in the roof will allow you to use the best antennas... but that is not an option for guys that just like to fool around on the CB..... so that leaves the Magnetic types...
they tell me the Sirio 5000 Performer is one of the best and I can see why it's 77 inches tall!!!!!!
many people rave about the Stryker AR 10 antenna at 68 inches tall... what I keep hearing about the Styker AR 10 magnetic mount CB antenna is they are almost perfect SWR right out of the box... or it takes very little to get it to have a great SWR.

as for me I have had very good luck with a Tram 3500 ( it's a very cheap antenna made by a low quality company ) BUT FOR MANY PEOPLE, IT WORKS FANTASTIC.... it's 57 inches tall.... yup under 5 feet tall ( guess I've learned nothing SlowMover)
I will put a link to Erik from Far Point Farms youtube video... he has had a Tram 3500 for 7 years with no problems!.. he has it on the trunk of his car ( very SMALL TRUNK LID so not a lot of ground plane... and it's 2 feet lower than the roof!!!!) but he got 18.5 miles using a 4 watt radio with the Tram 3500!!!!! I was so impressed with that video, I bought one.... I talk to people on base stations 15 to 20 miles away with it...... ( you never know if the people you are talking to are stretching the truth about their location) so I have gone to the Texas Roadhouse in Plymouth ( I go once a week) and it's 10 miles in a straight line. according to google map measured miles... I went in the daylight 4PM... the later the better the conditions.. but I went in the day.... I set up my Cam-Corder on my base station and I am giving a signal strength of S7 .... 10 miles away! I'm VERY pleased with that and know I can generally hear people all the way down at S5 or even S3 on a quiet day so I know there was another few miles to be had.
I keep meaning to duplicate the Far Point Farms video.... but never feel like it... I did have to visit a friend, and when I put in his GPS directions into my F150's GPS it said he was 18.50 miles away so I went back into my house and set up the Cam Corder..... it was a horrible day as far as conditions, lot of noise and interference... ( it was also 1pm not the best time for CB)... going to his house I went through a forest of 150 foot tall trees that looked like a 150 foot tall wall as far as the eye could see..... I still got 16.50 miles ...not very clearly... but I did get it and will attach a link to that video.
I hear people all over the area on my Tram 3500 and talk skip all over the country with it.
so I would try the Tram 3500 and place it on the center of your roof
right now the Tram 3500 is $55 bucks ordered on line at Taget with free shipping!!!! click this link $55 Tram 3500 at Target

normally I tell people to buy it on line at Walmart for $67.04 and have it shipped to their local walmart for pick up. click this link Walmart Tram 3500 for $67.04

the great 18.50 video from FarPoint Farms 18.5 miles on the Tram 3500 (he did his at night... MUCH better conditions)

this is my 16.50 miles at 1PM with heavy noise conditions and a lot of interference my 16.50 test there were a lot of people on channel 14 that day too and I had to keep doing my test in between them.
so try a better antenna.......... the Sirio and the Stryker are over a $100 bucks.. if you can afford that is will be a lot better... but the cheap Tram 3500 works pretty good.
let us know what you have and what you going to get.
good luck

niceguy71

Freetown MA up north to Lakeville and out to Plymouth Area is 27AM
In New Bedford Shooting West out to Westport and East to Wareham it Ch24 AM and FM depending on the Mood.
The Litino Guys Guys in New Bedford Use Ch 9 AM and There is lots of Truck Dispatch and Yard Work in the South Terminal on Ch32.
There is a group Of Litino Freebanders below CH1 AM and A group Up on Ch44 27.445 SSB LSB and Locals doing DX on 27.455 SSB USB !
The Cape Cod Guys are always On 38 LSB.

Where ever you live There will be little Fishing Holes of Activity and More if your in A populated area. You just need to Hunt For them and Once you find it put an X on the bottom of the boat because you found the Fish !

Pete N1EXA
I mentioned how a great Radio Reference guy helped me learn about channel 27 just yesterday... but I couldn't remember who it was... I think it was you!
if I never thanked you... THANK YOU!
I turned channel 27 on after you told me about it several times.... heard nothing and shut off the radio and went onto whatever I was doing... I only turn my radio on when I'm out in my work shop doing a project and I have not had anytime for any projects in a year.......
so after a week of turning it on and listening to nothing.... I said HELLO ANYONE OUT THERE???? and several guys came back!
there is always about 4 or 5 guys on that channel... mostly they listen unless a good topic gets going.... sometimes I've heard more than 10 people on that channel... I used my scan function many times and never picked up anyone.... so again thanks for the great info.

Backwoods40

CB seems pretty dead in my area of NC. I mean, there are a few of the same guys on at night, the superbowl gets a lot of noise, but mostly quiet.

I've went SSB and hit skip to Arizona and even talked to a few guys in the UK. I'm running a 3ft firestik and want to upgrade, but what kind of difference would there be between the Sirio, Stryker, Tram, and a 102" whip?

I have my CB mounted in a truck that I rarely drive, so it doesn't matter which one I get, I just want the best performer.

N1XDS

ÆS Ø
From what I have seen in the past most of the locals around here run Predator 10k one of the best antennas to use on the road or just around town to listen and talk to whoever is listening. Back in the day there was guy named 55 out of Florida who made mobile antennas and they were built to last I had one and it held and did very well when I was talking on the radio to the locals where I lived at the time.

Stryker make good radios and antennas as well especially the Stryker 655 and 955. When I was heavy in to CB radio before I retired from the CB radio world scene I had Magnum S-9, Galaxy 99v, Stryker 955 all these radios were the top dogs when they first came out when they did. If I had to pick a radio to use I would say Magnum S-9 and also Stryker 955 so I pick these two instead of just one.

As far as mobile antennas it all depends on what the person is wanting in the antenna and what the needs are...Most antennas come in small, medium, tall sizes and big sizes (that's what she said) sorry I couldn't resist). A long time ago the 102" inch whip was heavenly favored by people who use them around town, down the road or wherever they are going.

I've never own a Stryker, Sirio, Tram or 102" whip antennas so I wouldn't know how they hold up and how long they last and how they perform against other antenna manufacturers. If you want to look in to another brand of antenna check out Predator 10k antennas the guy Kale or Cowtown kid as people call him makes different models of the Predator 10k antennas comes in short, medium and long shafts for the guys and ladies around Texas swear by them so that is something to think about.

After 20+ years in the cb radio scene before retiring from it I've seen a lot of CB radios, antennas and etc that deals with CB radio hobby. Where I use to live I met some of the heavy weights in the CB radio scene they showed me their radio setup in the vehicle and asked me what radio I was using and antenna plus my recommendation on getting a better antenna, microphone, radio.

There was a local that went by" 4 1 " when I lived down in Padre Island, Texas a good guy I helped him decide on what radio, antenna, microphone he needed to buy but i always told him it all depends on your money your wanting to spend because it can get pricey on what radio your wanting and same with antenna. He had a very beautiful custom built suburban with a big block in it and custom headers and exhaust it sounded mean. Once 4 1 got his setup in the mail i helped him install it when he invited me and my late father over for morning coffee and breakfast since he knew my father was a retired Marine out of the locals in that area me and 4 1 had the best sounding radios and setups we were told by other locals, distant and the truckers who was driving on the bridge from Corpus Christi to the Island.

Good luck,

- Jamie
CB seems pretty dead in my area of NC. I mean, there are a few of the same guys on at night, the superbowl gets a lot of noise, but mostly quiet.

I've went SSB and hit skip to Arizona and even talked to a few guys in the UK. I'm running a 3ft firestik and want to upgrade, but what kind of difference would there be between the Sirio, Stryker, Tram, and a 102" whip?

I have my CB mounted in a truck that I rarely drive, so it doesn't matter which one I get, I just want the best performer.

N1EXA

I mentioned how a great Radio Reference guy helped me learn about channel 27 just yesterday... but I couldn't remember who it was... I think it was you!
if I never thanked you... THANK YOU!
I turned channel 27 on after you told me about it several times.... heard nothing and shut off the radio and went onto whatever I was doing... I only turn my radio on when I'm out in my work shop doing a project and I have not had anytime for any projects in a year.......
so after a week of turning it on and listening to nothing.... I said HELLO ANYONE OUT THERE???? and several guys came back!
there is always about 4 or 5 guys on that channel... mostly they listen unless a good topic gets going.... sometimes I've heard more than 10 people on that channel... I used my scan function many times and never picked up anyone.... so again thanks for the great info.
Yes that was me !
I remeber when you said there s no body out there ... No with CB you have to know what holes they live in.. For you its Ch27 !
Its the same thing on CH24 here in New Bedford...There is nobody sitting there all day waiting to talk , you have to hit them at the right time.
Early morning - Late after noon and Saturday night... Just have to shout out and see if somebody is out on the road or in the work shop !
Was more than happy to help you out Niceguy71.. I just didnt want you to give up so easy and Your Welcome ~

Just like the guy who said there is nobody around the Bridgewater Rest Area Route 24 / 495 on Ch 19...Well Nobody is on ch19 except a few loners If you jump over to 27AM and shout out somebody should bite !

Pete N1EXA

Last edited:

StoliRaz

🇺🇲
Ive ran the the CB band Search on a few of my Unidens and I find it to be pretty Deaf. Running a Dedidcated Radio and a whip cut to the
band gived better results. Any LED Headlights or Fog Lights is a Killer in the car for Listening.

Pete N1EXA

I might attempt again (had a handheld RS CB back around 2000) with a Randy 2. I know soon as I buy it they'll announce a SSB version of it a week later. Y'all can thank me later

niceguy71

well if you don't mind drilling a hole in the roof... the Larsen NMO antenna's are probably the best

as for getting the best Magnetic mount Antenna
I would think the Sirio 5000 performer would be the best antenna out of the three.........especially at 77 inches tall.... but that tall????,
it will hit every tree limb driving down the road.... maybe it would be good for the city.. but in the country... in my opinion it would be too tall.

the Stryker AR-10 is what I would pick if money wasn't important

the Tram 3500 is a clone of the Wilson 1000 and both work pretty good

My tram 3500 hits a tree limb about once a week... and it still surprises me every time it happens...... but it's as tall as I would want on the top of a 6 foot tall pick-up truck.... so a 6 foot tall pick-up truck and a 5 foot tall Tram 3500 will be 11 feet tall to the tip of the antenna... and that will really get the signal out and hear pretty good too.

the Magnetic Mounted antenna should be placed in the center of the roof... in the center of the roof it will transmit and receive in a 360 degree pattern....... you really want it in the center...... say you transmit and receive 10 miles... well 10 miles in all directions is pretty good.... but if you have it ...say on the back left bumper... you will only transmit and receive 10 miles to the front right of the truck ( that would be basically out into the woods!) but you may only get 2 or 3 miles from all the other sides of the truck.... so you really want to try the center of the roof.

they say the 102" whip is the best
but it will not transmit/ receive 360 degrees unless you put it center of the truck... see picture ... it is also not as easy as slapping a magnetic mount on the roof.... I've never had any luck getting a 102" whip to work.. at least for me

you need to have metal under the antenna... people mount an antenna on the bed rail.... it has no metal under it and only gets a mile if that...... people also mount them on the back rack of a pick up.... and that's worse than the bed rail!!!!! some people mount them to a tool box in the back... if you RF Bond the tool box to the bed in several places and the bed to the cab on both sides.... it does work.... but now the antenna is lower than the roof and blocked by the back window of the cab.... it cuts most of the usefulness of the antenna out as it can't transmit/receive forwards as the cab is in the way.... the toolbox works but it's not the best option... you really want it on the roof with no obstructions around it.

lastly a pick-up truck is a terrible vehicle to get a CB antenna to work on...... on a car or even many SUV's they have a subframe... so the engine transmission and fenders grill bumper are all mounted to a front frame... and that frame is slipped into the body of the car... so the whole vehicle is RF Bonded ... Radio Frequency Bonded.... it is different than Electrical continuity.
you need large amounts of metal for RF to flow from body panel to body panel
problem on a pick-up truck is it has a full frame... the body sits on big rubber body mounts .... and the RF doesn't flow to the frame.... ALSO if you look the CAB is not actually connected to the BED.. the bed and the cab are just sitting ../ floating on the body mounts.... the body mounts are just a large rubber puck and only the bolt touches the BED and FRAME... and that bolt doesn't let the RF flow down to the frame.....you need all the metal of the pick-up to radiate when you key the microphone.... and all you have is the cab.... so you can do some RF-Bonding... you need WIDE Strapping 1 1/4 inch wide straps and you have to grind the paint off the places you attach the straps to... and using large bolts to the straps with Star washers that dig into the metal...... it will allow the radio frequency to flow.....

if you put a magnetic antenna on the roof and it works great... your done! if it only transmits 3 to 5 miles then you will have to do the RF Bonding.... the CAB and BED need to be strapped together on BOTH sides..... the fenders and the hood and the cab all need to be strapped together...... and you also have to put straps from the body to the frame on both sides of the truck.... you will also have to put some huge grounds from the body to the frame to get rid of electrical interference ... I know a youtube video that I watched before I did my pick-up.. and it taught me a lot.... BBI RF Bonding video part 2 it's a LONG video... if you listen to what he say's at 1 hr 8 minutes in.... I believe it... he did a truck with a magnet mount that only did 3 miles..... with 250 watts.... he pulled the headliner and found it only had 2 feet of metal around the area that the magnet mount was on... so he ran the RF straps and was able to do a 30 mile radius..... so watch the entire video.

getting a CB radio to work really well in a pick-up truck is a LOT OF WORK!.... good luck.

Davidbt you may also find this useful​

Attachments

• Antenna radiation pattern.jpg
    Antenna radiation pattern.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 4

Davidbt

well if you don't mind drilling a hole in the roof... the Larsen NMO antenna's are probably the best

as for getting the best Magnetic mount Antenna
I would think the Sirio 5000 performer would be the best antenna out of the three.........especially at 77 inches tall.... but that tall????,
it will hit every tree limb driving down the road.... maybe it would be good for the city.. but in the country... in my opinion it would be too tall.

the Stryker AR-10 is what I would pick if money wasn't important

the Tram 3500 is a clone of the Wilson 1000 and both work pretty good

My tram 3500 hits a tree limb about once a week... and it still surprises me every time it happens...... but it's as tall as I would want on the top of a 6 foot tall pick-up truck.... so a 6 foot tall pick-up truck and a 5 foot tall Tram 3500 will be 11 feet tall to the tip of the antenna... and that will really get the signal out and hear pretty good too.

the Magnetic Mounted antenna should be placed in the center of the roof... in the center of the roof it will transmit and receive in a 360 degree pattern....... you really want it in the center...... say you transmit and receive 10 miles... well 10 miles in all directions is pretty good.... but if you have it ...say on the back left bumper... you will only transmit and receive 10 miles to the front right of the truck ( that would be basically out into the woods!) but you may only get 2 or 3 miles from all the other sides of the truck.... so you really want to try the center of the roof.

they say the 102" whip is the best
but it will not transmit/ receive 360 degrees unless you put it center of the truck... see picture ... it is also not as easy as slapping a magnetic mount on the roof.... I've never had any luck getting a 102" whip to work.. at least for me

you need to have metal under the antenna... people mount an antenna on the bed rail.... it has no metal under it and only gets a mile if that...... people also mount them on the back rack of a pick up.... and that's worse than the bed rail!!!!! some people mount them to a tool box in the back... if you RF Bond the tool box to the bed in several places and the bed to the cab on both sides.... it does work.... but now the antenna is lower than the roof and blocked by the back window of the cab.... it cuts most of the usefulness of the antenna out as it can't transmit/receive forwards as the cab is in the way.... the toolbox works but it's not the best option... you really want it on the roof with no obstructions around it.

lastly a pick-up truck is a terrible vehicle to get a CB antenna to work on...... on a car or even many SUV's they have a subframe... so the engine transmission and fenders grill bumper are all mounted to a front frame... and that frame is slipped into the body of the car... so the whole vehicle is RF Bonded ... Radio Frequency Bonded.... it is different than Electrical continuity.
you need large amounts of metal for RF to flow from body panel to body panel
problem on a pick-up truck is it has a full frame... the body sits on big rubber body mounts .... and the RF doesn't flow to the frame.... ALSO if you look the CAB is not actually connected to the BED.. the bed and the cab are just sitting ../ floating on the body mounts.... the body mounts are just a large rubber puck and only the bolt touches the BED and FRAME... and that bolt doesn't let the RF flow down to the frame.....you need all the metal of the pick-up to radiate when you key the microphone.... and all you have is the cab.... so you can do some RF-Bonding... you need WIDE Strapping 1 1/4 inch wide straps and you have to grind the paint off the places you attach the straps to... and using large bolts to the straps with Star washers that dig into the metal...... it will allow the radio frequency to flow.....

if you put a magnetic antenna on the roof and it works great... your done! if it only transmits 3 to 5 miles then you will have to do the RF Bonding.... the CAB and BED need to be strapped together on BOTH sides..... the fenders and the hood and the cab all need to be strapped together...... and you also have to put straps from the body to the frame on both sides of the truck.... you will also have to put some huge grounds from the body to the frame to get rid of electrical interference ... I know a youtube video that I watched before I did my pick-up.. and it taught me a lot.... BBI RF Bonding video part 2 it's a LONG video... if you listen to what he say's at 1 hr 8 minutes in.... I believe it... he did a truck with a magnet mount that only did 3 miles..... with 250 watts.... he pulled the headliner and found it only had 2 feet of metal around the area that the magnet mount was on... so he ran the RF straps and was able to do a 30 mile radius..... so watch the entire video.

getting a CB radio to work really well in a pick-up truck is a LOT OF WORK!.... good luck.

Davidbt you may also find this useful​

Thanks for the headsup, @@niceguy71 I'm planning on placing my antenna as center as possible. Could you suggest a good relay, and possibly a picture of your relay? Thanks

niceguy71

Pete N1EXA
good catch on the LED lights...... he has been around for months now and never hears anyone.... so I think something is wrong... either a cheap antenna or radio or he has so much ignition noise that he can't hear anyone..... we'll see what his antenna is soon I hope.